Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
just come to the shoot - much safer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Tannerite by itself is fun, but mixing an energetic material with a frangible wrapper is likely to end badly.....
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#3]
tannerite seems to be like crack cocaine for some of these guys.

it is, apparently, a legal explosive.  a blasting cap will detonate it, and so will shooting it.  i would venture the thought the substance has a built in darwin switch, given the video.

you guys can do what you want, but owning that stuff is just not what i want to do... get the law interested in me because i've got some type of explosive which is technically 'legal' but is realistically unnecessary in my life.  i'm not blasting stumps out of the bottom pasture.  not that i'm ever engaged in any type of illegal activity, but i really don't want that type of attention in my life... and i have no inclination to be anywhere near explosions.  

anyone ever hear about the time in californica back in the 60s, a dead sperm whale washed up on the beach?  someone talked the local cops into planting a bunch of dynamite into the whale and blowing it up?  had 'em believe it was enough to 'vaporize' the whale.  wake up guys, it's a whale.

didn't vaporize the whale.  just spread dead, rotting whale all over the place.  100+ lb. chunks of whale demolished the autos of several citizens who were in an 'observation area' some 1/4 mile away.  

i believe a couple folks were injured but no one was killed.  2 or 3 cars got smashed up pretty good with king-size chunks of blubber.  smelly blubber too.  the whole impetus of blowing up the whale was the smell.  that  just made it all the worse.  

explosives are very dangerous, and without the proper training, using them for 'fun' is very stupid.  

i know i'll get flamed, but so what.  it's just the internet.  i live in a civilized society and i don't bloody well need any type of explosive in my residence, on my ranch, ranch house, in the office, anywhere.  i just don't need it in my life.  

if you do, you must live a very different type of existence than most of us.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

it is, apparently, a legal explosive.  a blasting cap will detonate it, and so will shooting it.  i would venture the thought the substance has a built in darwin switch, given the video.

you guys can do what you want, but owning that stuff is just not what i want to do... get the law interested in me because i've got some type of explosive which is technically 'legal' but is realistically unnecessary in my life.  i'm not blasting stumps out of the bottom pasture.  not that i'm ever engaged in any type of illegal activity, but i really don't want that type of attention in my life... and i have no inclination to be anywhere near explosions.  

anyone ever hear about the time in californica back in the 60s, a dead sperm whale washed up on the beach?  someone talked the local cops into planting a bunch of dynamite into the whale and blowing it up?  had 'em believe it was enough to 'vaporize' the whale.  wake up guys, it's a whale.

didn't vaporize the whale.  just spread dead, rotting whale all over the place.  100+ lb. chunks of whale demolished the autos of several citizens who were in an 'observation area' some 1/4 mile away.  

i believe a couple folks were injured but no one was killed.  2 or 3 cars got smashed up pretty good with king-size chunks of blubber.  smelly blubber too.  the whole impetus of blowing up the whale was the smell.  that  just made it all the worse.  

explosives are very dangerous, and without the proper training, using them for 'fun' is very stupid.  

i know i'll get flamed, but so what.  it's just the internet.  i live in a civilized society and i don't bloody well need any type of explosive in my residence, on my ranch, ranch house, in the office, anywhere.  i just don't need it in my life.  

You have never shot Tannerite have you? If you had you would not be saying what you did.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:28:34 AM EDT
[#6]
The whale was beached in Florence, Oregon.

www.theExplodingwhale.com

Tannerite is like everything else, it's fun until some Gomer uses it in a way that harms someone and the powers that be will make it very hard or illegal to own and we all lose.

C.M.

What end do you think with? It's a case of heads you win, tails you lose...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Note to self, when shooting tannerite, intending to blow something up with it, be at least 200 yrds away.

Nothing wrong with shooting tannerite by itself at 100y. .

Or at 30 yards
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Note to self, when shooting tannerite, be at least 200 yrds away.

Note to you & others.

DO NOT PUT TANNERITE IN, UNDER OR NEXT TO ANY HARD OBJECT, PERIOD!

I've have seen many and I mean many instances of what it can do. I've seen it blow a car door off nearly 50 yards, broadside, back toward a firing line. I've seen it launch a 100 gal well water tank 75 feet into the air. It will cut a 2x4 in half if it is just sitting on it and you will find no evicdence of a 6" portion of that 2x4. Do not fuck around with this stuff. If you want to blow something up with it, use styofoam targets, cardboard targets, stuffed animals (looking for a giant stuffed Barney myself). It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed or seriously injured and fucks up everything for those folks who use it sanely. Like everything else that's fun, it's soon legislated away.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#9]
At least make sure you put the tannerite in front of the target. not behind or inside of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are some more Tannerite vids:

75 pound laser printer
riding lawn mower
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:58:32 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:47 AM EDT
[#12]
tag for home
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#13]
someone post that video of the dryer going off
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, hide behind a 55 gallon drum.  That'll protect you!  Nice video.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:At least make sure you put the tannerite in front of the target. not behind or inside of it.

won't help. this just means the stuff in front of the target hits you harder.

put tannerite far away up off the ground.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note to you & others.

I've have seen many and I mean many instances of what it can do. I've seen it blow a car door off nearly 50 yards, broadside, back toward a firing line. I've seen it launch a 100 gal well water tank 75 feet into the air. It will cut a 2x4 in half if it is just sitting on it and you will find no evicdence of a 6" portion of that 2x4. Do not fuck around with this stuff. If you want to blow something up with it, use styofoam targets, cardboard targets, stuffed animals (looking for a giant stuffed Barney myself). It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed or seriously injured and fucks up everything for those folks who use it sanely. Like everything else that's fun, it's soon legislated away.

Someone needs to re-post photos from Bulletfest to help illustrate the danger of putting Tannerite under objects.  No one got hurt that time, but that's because the debris launched over the firing line and landed in the parking lot, on a car.  I have seen it turn an old propane cylinder inside out, leaving shreds about 1.5 inches wide.  And then, there was TBK1's excavation of the target berm...  damn, that was fun anyway, and that time there practically no trash to retrieve.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#17]
and here i thought this was another thread about me misspelling my name
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note to you & others.

Someone needs to re-post photos from Bulletfest to help illustrate the danger of putting Tannerite under objects.  No one got hurt that time, but that's because the debris launched over the firing line and landed in the parking lot, on a car.  I have seen it turn an old propane cylinder inside out, leaving shreds about 1.5 inches wide.  And then, there was TBK1's excavation of the target berm...  damn, that was fun anyway, and that time there practically no trash to retrieve.

I believe the consensus was that was NOT tannerite.   Flew above my head on the way to the car.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You don't need those evil guns, either, and using them for "fun" should be banned.  Better get that gasoline out of your garage, too.

"if you do, you must live a very different type of existence than most of us.  "

Not Sheeple.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#20]
nice vid's back 40

Tannerite is an "AT YOUR OWN RISK" situation, just like swimming.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
and here i thought this was another thread about me misspelling my name

Yeah, about that, we really dont give a shit...

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top