Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 2:20:06 PM EDT
I was wondering about the CMP Garands that seem to be available.   I don't know much about Garands or any old firearm for that matter.  

The range that I belong to says they can get members Garands from the CMP, there is a high power shoot coming up soon and the flier says they will be giving out applications.

I tried to find some info, I found a list of different grade Garands on CMP's website, but I'm not too sure what it all means.

I assume all of them are 30.06?  I can't get one in .308?  Do people want Garands mostly for their nostalgic nature, or are they really great rifles?  Would I be better off with an M1A?  Or should I just spend the money on a Remington 700PSS for 300 yard shooting?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just starting out and don't know much about any of this.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely grab one.  They are a piece of history and the CMP supply won't be around forever.  Plus they are far better and far cheaper than the ones that "new" ones Springfield Armory Corp. ("SA") sells for $1200.

CMP has .30-06 exclusive, IIRC.  But you can also buy M2 Ball ammo from them by the case for a good price.

Here's one of mine with the original stock:

And another with a replacement stock:

Both of mine were Service Grades, but I had the luxury of going to their Port Clinton Ohio store and going down the line with muzzle and throat gauges to make sure I got a good shooter.  That is really the best way to go . . . a road trip to the CMP.  You can have them shipped to you but then what you get is hit and miss.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It's advisable that you buy at least one Garand from the CMP, but be forewarned that it can take a while. The first time I bought one, they lost my order or something and I had to call them to sort it out, took well over a month for me to get my Garand. That was a year ago, and I just ordered my second one this year. It was eary February, when the SA USGI rack grades were in stock, but about two weeks after I sent all my paperwork they became backordered so I guess I just missed the boat. I've called and they won't tell me when I can even remotely expect to get it...

It's a hassle, but it's worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sir:

There has been no greater rifle created before or since.  Even the great Kalashnikov borrowed heavily from the garand design.  The CMP garands present perhaps the greatest single value in firearms today.  There is only about a 3 year supply left in government inventories and when they are gone, they are gone.  They are in 30-06 but if you get a rack grade,  a smith can easily convert it to .308.  I have one of each.  Notice that when the CMP runs out, its value will double overnight.  Lastly, Its seriously cool to get a semi auto battle rifle directly from the US government.  Who knows, its luck of the draw, but yours could have been at Normandy, or Iwo or Leyte.  It may well have killed the enemies of this nation in battle.  If you don't have one, you should not hesitate to get one.

Make sense, and thanks for the info!  You mentioned that it comes from the government, is the CMP some type of government agency or controlled by the government, or are they a private organization that owns the rights to sell these government rifles?

I like your idea of having it converted, but I would probably just leave it the way it is.  

What "grade" should I go for?  Any problems with the rack grade?

One more, I thought I read somewhere that I could have it sent directly to my house, is that true?  Or do I have to go thru an FFL like usual?

Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Garands are great. I would like to get another one myself. I was hoping to get some time off so that I could rent an airplane, fly to a nearby airport and visit the store.

Here is a link to a good forum for Garands:

www.jouster.com/

And here is the Official Site:

www.odcmp.com/

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to the rest of you guys for the info!

Quoted:
Definitely grab one.  They are a piece of history and the CMP supply won't be around forever.  Plus they are far better and far cheaper than the ones that "new" ones Springfield Armory Corp. ("SA") sells for $1200.

What do you mean when you say "new"?  Are they built on old receivers or have old parts?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks to the rest of you guys for the info!

Quoted:

What do you mean when you say "new"?  Are they built on old receivers or have old parts?

'New' as in a totally new manufactured rifle. New receiver, new parts, new wood but not nearly the quality or heritage of the M1's from the CMP.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Make sense, and thanks for the info!  You mentioned that it comes from the government, is the CMP some type of government agency or controlled by the government, or are they a private organization that owns the rights to sell these government rifles?

CMP is a private organization but it is affiliated with the government and the NRA, I believe.  Most of their stock now consists of US Gov't GI issue rifles that were loaned for 30 or more years to other countries after WWII in an effor to rearm the allies (e.g. Greece and Denmark).  These rifles were then returned to the USA, and that's what they are selling now.

Quoted:
What "grade" should I go for?  Any problems with the rack grade?

I would recommend at least Service Grade esp. if you aren't going to be hand picking them in person.  Service grade will give you acceptable levels of barrel wear.

Quoted:
One more, I thought I read somewhere that I could have it sent directly to my house, is that true?  Or do I have to go thru an FFL like usual?

There is some exception for the CMP.   You can get the rifle shipped right to your door and you don't have to have a FFL or even a Curio & Relics license.  But you have to fill out all the paperwork and they do an instant background check on you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
For your first get at least a service grade. Yes, they can ship directly to your house.

The lowest I would go is a field grade. These will have plenty of life left on the barrel but a little more beat up stocks. They are simple to clean though and make look pretty good with a few chemicals to strip it and some new finish.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Excellent guys, I really appreciate all the help!  I'll be ordering one at the high power match.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are my field grades- only the second from left is a service grade :

I'm going to the North store to pick out 3 to 7 more Saturday-woohoo!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If it helps, here's my take on the topic.

Since then, I've refinished it and restocked it (and it looks GREAT!), and it's just about my favorite range rifle.  The damned thing is just TOO much fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My last CMP Garand (I have 7) took 10 days to arrive at my front door.

Years ago it was a little harder  to buy one but now they make it very easy.

Best buy in the business, bar none.

I suggest a Service Grade or at least a Field grade.  If you can swing it a Correct Grade is even better. Both of my CG's are all but new.

Read the web site, look at the qualifications, join the Garand Collectors Assoc. (meets the club requirement) ask questions on Jouster or on AR-15's Armory Forum then go buy one.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
PING!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
What does it take to convert one from 30-06 to .308?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

New barrel. Nothing more. Even the clips work fine. Just make sure you have some way to differentiate from the .30-06 ones before there's a problem.

BangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangPING
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I might order one next week.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]
You should buy a CMP Garand immediately.  Mine was at my house inside of two weeks.  And let me tell you:  you will never have a mail day quite like the day your Garand comes home.  I received 1000 rounds of .30-06 in a wooden crate from UPS and a Garand from FedEx, both on the same day.  It was glorious!!!   Glorious, I tell you!!!

PS  PING!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep thinking I should get one to put up, but I keep finding more practical guns to buy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I took my CMP Garand to the range today for the first time.
The grin is STILL on my face.  They are neat guns as well as pieces of history.
The CMP is starting to run out of them, so get in while the getting is good.  I might buy another later on this year if I can afford it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Did you guys hear about the new CMP rule?  For every Garand you buy, you have to buy an extra one and send it your Danish buddy!  

Hey, it's worth a try!!  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have to have someone home to sign when the Fedex guy pays you a visit?
If so do they let you know the day and time it will arrive?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Did you guys hear about the new CMP rule?  For every Garand you buy, you have to buy an extra one and send it your Danish buddy!  

Hey, it's worth a try!!  

Really?  I guess I could do that....I don't know any Danish people, though.  I guess I'll ask around and see if I can find some random Danish person to give one to, since I really want a Garand.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, it's worth a try!!  

Really?  I guess I could do that....I don't know any Danish people, though.  I guess I'll ask around and see if I can find some random Danish person to give one to, since I really want a Garand.

Couldn't you hear him jumping up and down in his wooden shoes....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#26]
DKProf, how about a "woodless Dane"? (CMP's term, not mine).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That means sans shoes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That means sans shoes.

A woodless Dane?  That's just wrong!!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hey, it's worth a try!!  

Go buy your ow...

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you have to be there when Fedex arrives?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Do you have to be there when Fedex arrives?

Plan on it, yes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone bought one of the Danish rifles without the stock?  I would probably re-stock anyway.  Might be a good way to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Does the CMP give you a heads up on the day that it will be there?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, it's worth a try!!  

Couldn't you hear him jumping up and down in his wooden shoes....

I thought I heard something
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Has anyone bought one of the Danish rifles without the stock?  I would probably re-stock anyway.  Might be a good way to save a few bucks.

I beleive the ones that come without stocks come without all of the miscellaneous metal parts (buttplate, sling loops, etc.).  You'd have to purchase those separately.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

No, they give you a FedEx tracking number, though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Not really.
As far as signing for it when it comes.  Its SUPPOSED to be signed for.
My deliveryman doesn't really care it seems.  When my M2 Ball ammo showed up I wasn't home and my roommate called my and told me my ammo had come, and that he figured it was mine (I share the house with 3 other guys).  The box says 'Machine Gun Use Only' on the outside, its hilarious.  It also had a 'SIGNATURE REQUIRED' sticker on it, but my roomie said he didn't sign.  I don't know about the rifle because I different roomate was home when it came and I forgot to ask about signing for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

New barrel. Nothing more. Even the clips work fine. Just make sure you have some way to differentiate from the .30-06 ones before there's a problem.

BangBangBangBangBangBangBangBangPING

They make a block that fits in the mag well that keeps you from stuffing a clip of '06 in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm still waiting for 2 Service Grades... Paperwork/order has been in the system since early January.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top