Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:03:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Aluminum is neat when it's melting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the ducted fan design kept the temp below the aircraft from getting too high.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the f-35 but why are we putting billions in a program that will be defeated at whim by a su-35+ or a euro fighter 2K? When was the last time Marines didnt have full air support? An unconventional war requires diffrent methods of attack, air  power will establish less and less dominance in the war in Iraq.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like the f-35 but why are we putting billions in a program that will be defeated at whim by a su-35+ or a euro fighter 2K? When was the last time Marines didnt have full air support? An unconventional war requires diffrent methods of attack, air  power will establish less and less dominance in the war in Iraq.

To replace Harriers, F-16's, and A-10's.

The F-22 is there to replace the F-15's in the air superiority role.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]
So, throw some channel down where the ducts will be.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This is a CAS aircraft not an Air Superiority aircraft. Have there been fly offs between this aircraft piloted by US pilots VS SU-35's piloted by potential adversaries to determine that this aircraft would be defeated at whim?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought the ducted fan design kept the temp below the aircraft from getting too high.

The airplane also relies on direct vectored engine exhaust.

Nothing new here.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The lift fan in the front blows ambient air, but the rear of the airplane is supported by the engine exhaust.  The exhaust nozzle rotates downward.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing new here.

JSF vertical takeoff video
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing new here.

F-35… BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!!!!

www.aviation.ru/Yak/141/Yak-141_1.jpg
YAK 141 'Freestyle' … first flew 1987.

YAK info

Of course, the YAK utilized a completely different design, and includes not one, not two, but three jet engines.    What's more, it never made it out of the development stage.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:39:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lift fan in the front blows ambient air, but the rear of the airplane is supported by the engine exhaust.  The exhaust nozzle rotates downward.

The lift fan from the front blowing ambient air block the heat from the rear exhaust from entering the intake.  It keeps the flame from chocking out by sucking up too much heat.  Keeping the intake air cool, not by cooling the exhaust, but by blocking the exhaust.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#16]
We really need an aircraft/aviation forum.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Titanium Matting.  jeez...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't surprise me.  The AV-8B could light pavement on fire during a full powered vertical takeoff with a water-ethanol boost.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that. But I thought the volume of air coming form the ducted fan, cooled the jet exhaust air enough so that the ground temp actually stayed lower than the ground did fo a Harrier, which uses all exhausted air to keep it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top