Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 10:37:36 PM EDT
So one of my best friends just told me he used to be a Skinhead. I was a bit shocked until he told me, no no it's not what you think, it was about brotherhood and British skaw music and regae, and being cool and well groomed, and that most of their heroes were black guys who played blues and whore suits and rode Vespas and drank Irish Whiskey. It was a working class guys rebelion against the hippy dippy slobs of the time. blah blah blah. Is this total B.S.? I'm serious, I really am trying to get this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:39:36 PM EDT
Not BS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:47:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:
Not BS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinheads

I couldn't link that, or copy and paste.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 10:49:17 PM EDT by prk]
Well it's easy enough to be CALLED a skinhead, and they say it like it's a bad thing....
express any pride or interest in things European, and that pretty much gets you pigeeon-holed in PRK.

Or even called Nazi.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 10:55:12 PM EDT by Gunslinger808]
Ska is not about racial intolerance, hell we hate everyone.
And yes, many of the same manners of dress and hair (or lack of) are shared by the 88ers and punkers.
A lot of the Nazis are drawn to the Ska movement and a few of the bands have become part of scene but mostly it's an anti establishment group.
Punk really started back in the late 70s and early 80s, I used to frequent quite a few of the original punk bars back around 78.
Like any other fad, it's gotten to be mainstream and marketing nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:00:53 PM EDT
This is what I can't figure out, is the word Skinhead similiar to the word "gun owner" which is full of misinformation, I know there are racist branches of skinheads but my buddy assures me that they were the minority of the batch and that anyone who was not a sloppy pinko scum bag was more than welcome at there parties, and even now he is a very tolerant guy and has no problem with anyone except the scummy loser, gang banger types, white or black or otherwise in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:06:04 PM EDT
Most of the reference to skinheads and Ska are from it's European roots in the 60s.

Oi!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:12:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:17:41 PM EDT
Holy crap, my friend just gave me that book to read to clarify things (skinhead bible, spirit of '69) that's what I'm talking about, I had no idea that this did not begin as a racist thing, though it may have turned out as one in some cases.
Top Top