Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:17:40 PM EDT
Sex Offender Registry Bill Scheduled to be Considered by House Today Will Allow Misdemeanor Sex Offenders Continued Access to Guns—Despite Ban Passed by House on Voice Vote on Similar Bill Last Year

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Today, Wednesday, March 8, the U.S. House of Representatives is scheduled to consider a sex offender registration bill (H.R. 4472) that does not contain a provision that would prohibit gun possession by individuals convicted of misdemeanor sex offenses against minors. This is despite the fact that such a ban was included in the "The Children's Safety Act of 2005" (H.R. 3132), a similar bill that was passed by the House in September 2005. The gun prohibition was added to H.R. 3132 as an amendment by Representative Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) and passed on a voice vote. An anti-hate crime provision that was added as an amendment to H.R. 3132 is also not included in the new bill.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Define "misdemeanor".  Since such stuff as pissing on the side of the road can throw you on the Sex Offender List for example.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm slow. I know.

But, WTF is a misdemeaner sex crime against a minor?

Seriously, what is an example? Is it pissing in public and a minor seeing you? Or is it some kind of contact?

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the answer to your question is:  "It depends".

An 18 year-old acquaintance of mine was recently charged with a misdemeanor sex crime by the parents of his 17 y.o. girlfriend because they found out the two were (consentually) sexually active even though she is a minor.  Should having sex with his GF mean that he forfeits his 2A rights?  I don't think so.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
yes.   especially since batf has no funds for felons to get their "rights" back.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
What type of offenses are considered misdeanors?  If they want to take away a person's consitutitional rights then the legislature should upgrade the offenses to felonies where it belongs.  Before long any violation less than that of traffic ticket will get your constitutional right taken away.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That is what I want to know.

Does it vary by state?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top