Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:35 PM EDT
I seem to have an incidence of this running and can't seem to get rid of it with Norton,Microsoft Beta,C Cleaner,Adaware or Spybot. Norton seems to be keeping it from connecting to the net but it is annoying and concerns me.

Any help?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Delete your cookies. edge.ru4 is a tracking cookie

Then try this

www.spywareremove.com/removeEdgeru4.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Then try this

I did that (both) the link is nothing more than link to buy spyhunter which incidentally didn't detect the edge.ru4 cookie.

You can delete the cookie and it restores itself.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then try this

I did that (both) the link is nothing more than link to buy spyhunter which incidentally didn't detect the edge.ru4 cookie.

You can delete the cookie and it restores itself.

You'll have to excuse Fiero, hes kinda a dumbass sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've been around long enough to Google before I post
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been around long enough to Google before I post

Well, you know thats a first.

Have you deleted it in safe mode?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I would get one of those registery monitoring tools to monitor what/who is putting an entery in your registery.  I'm using Spybot-S&D, it will ask for permission to update the registery, and if you answer "no," bye-bye virus.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Debian, meet edge.ru4

Debian, kill edge.ru4  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to www.trendmicro.com and run the FREE spyware cleaner and the free virus killer.

It take time to download but it will find thing that a lot of other programs you have listed don't find.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well I would get one of those registery monitoring tools to monitor what/who is putting an entery in your registery.  I'm using Spybot-S&D, it will ask for permission to update the registery, and if you answer "no," bye-bye virus.

I've got spybot(see 1st post) , no workee.

Debian, kill edge.ru4 I don't want a new o.s. just rid of some spyware but thanks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Go to www.trendmicro.com and run the FREE spyware cleaner and the free virus killer.

It take time to download but it will find thing that a lot of other programs you have listed don't find.
Good luck.

The trend micro won't run without removing( not just disableing) Norton which I don't want to do for a "trial" program. Thanks though.

Any more ideas?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck.

The trend micro won't run without removing( not just disableing) Norton which I don't want to do for a "trial" program. Thanks though.

Any more ideas?

Ran  "edge_ru4" on Google and it list some programs that claim to clean that specific problem......
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no

Make sure your programs are run in safe mode (spybot and whatnot)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Various questions:
FIRST--you should find out how to reinstall your networking if it gets buggered, eihter by reinstalling it or by downloading a winsock repair program such as LSPfix.
--------
...have you tried using a Mozilla-based browser (Netscape, Mozilla or FireFox) and setting the domain name (edge.r4u.com) on the cookie block list?....
...do you use internet explorer for surfing? (you shouldn't!)
....do you have any desktop feeds installed (stuff like weatherbug.com that sends content to an icon in your systray/on your PC)
...do you have any special "toolbars", "helpers", "plugins" (out of the usual Real, Quicktime, WMP), ect.
...do you have a firewall program running so that you can detect programs attempting to make outbound connections? (you should do this, even if you have a hardware router like me)
...if you are running WinXP, have you gone through the [administrative tools]/[services] and looked for anything odd and set it to "manual start", and then tried rebooting?
~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top