Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 11:42:07 AM EDT
What do you guys think?  It's one of the Aimpoint replicas being sold in the EE.  Very solid piece :)

The bipod isn't permanent.  Probably taking it off later as a matter of fact.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
This thread will go downhill quickly.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I figured.  Reasoning?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What is an RDS? Does it have anything to do with the Mario pillow on your couch?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Because people get off on spending hundreds of dollars on something that is of little practical use to them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is an RDS? Does it have anything to do with the Mario pillow on your couch?

If you're serious, it's an red dot sight.

I've had that Mario pillow since I was like 8 years old.  I love that thing :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because people get off on spending hundreds of dollars on something that is of little practical use to them.

The RDS was $75... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=318369

It's a little bit quicker and more fun to use than iron sights, but when benchresting it, I love the BUIS It's a see-through mount for those who can' tell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
You lost me at 'replica'.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

See link above, and read the feedback :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See link above.

Yep- it said 'replica' there too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a little bit quicker and more fun to use than iron sights, but when benchresting it, I love the BUIS It's a see-through mount for those who can' tell.

That's my point.  My M-4gery is nothing more than a range toy and as much as I like to spend money I could never justify spending ~$400 on a real Aimpoint for it.  Now if I was a cop and it was my patrol rifle it would be a different story.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured.  Reasoning?

Aimpoint knock offs are not thought of very highly by many here.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's my point.  My M-4gery is nothing more than a range toy and as much as I like to spend money I could never justify spending ~$400 on a real Aimpoint for it.  Now if I was a cop and it was my patrol rifle it would be a different story.

I hear ya man.  There's no way in Hell I would spend $400 on optics for an M4.  The way you see it now is most likely how it's going to stay.  Unless I decide to co-witness the BUIS and the RDS and ditch the carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The gear snobs are going to kick you in the nuts because you paid less than $350 for that.

I personally have a TacPoint blue ring red dot that I love, and I paid less than $100 for it.  So I guess we are both heretics...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an RDS, and when I posted a range report of it, the thread went to shit VERY QUICKLY.

I had people calling me all sorts of names, speculating about my political and patriotic loyalties, questioning my morals and generally insinuating that I was a HORRIBLE PERSON for buying an aimpoint knockoff shamelessly STOLEN from the company that worked so hard to provide optics for our fighting men and women overseas.

I don't care. I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds with it on my AR, and it has not so much as moved a quarter MOA in all that time. It's an awesome optic. Buy with confidence.

All the gear whores can FUCK OFF. Yeah, that's right! FUCK OFF.

Hell, I may buy another for my 20" just to PISS THEM OFF AGAIN!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I'm mostly a "range guy" too, and my groups shrunk dramatically when I switched to an Aimpoint over irons. I'll never go back if I don't have to.

I have some paper right here with a .283 group shot with an Aimpoint. Sure as hell the best I've ever done.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The gear snobs are going to kick you in the nuts because you paid less than $350 for that.

I have a knock-off leapers straight power x6 scope for my 45-70.  I've shot 4 moose so far with it.  I had some gear snob freinds too...once.  They're that way until you catch them with that kinda shit in thier gun safe.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Do as you wish, but personally when I spend that amount of money on a rifle I invest the same level (or more) into an optic for it. My recent purchase of a Eotech 512 for my M4-gery has made me happy, considering it cost me 290 shipped. It's fun on the range (ALOT) and practical for defense.

What I'd do is ditch the carry handle for a real aimpoint mount (larue) and go with an ARMS#40 BUIS. Much better visibilty through the BUIS then a CH (espically with that drop in rail) and I've found that those add in rails tend to come loose and shift POI easy. Just a suggestion, so put whatever you want on your rifle though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Toys are for toys

How do you view your gun - as a weapon, or as a toy?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Toys are for toys

I view it as a weapon that I love like a kid loves his favorite toy.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Toys are for toys

That is the way I feel as well.
F4 and I have discussed this ad nauseum.
Neither of us are gear queers, but we both views our guns as weapons, not as range toys.
If that is what your gun is, more power to you.
I don't much care what others do with their money, and I hope they feel the same way about mine.

The thing that does ruffle my feathers is those who insist that there is no difference between a clone and the real thing.

That said M4A1ownsyou - I like it, you have a nice clean rifle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
That bipod looks familiar

You like it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have an RDS, and when I posted a range report of it, the thread went to shit VERY QUICKLY.

I had people calling me all sorts of names, speculating about my political and patriotic loyalties, questioning my morals and generally insinuating that I was a HORRIBLE PERSON for buying an aimpoint knockoff shamelessly STOLEN from the company that worked so hard to provide optics for our fighting men and women overseas.

I don't care. I've fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds with it on my AR, and it has not so much as moved a quarter MOA in all that time. It's an awesome optic. Buy with confidence.

Wooooo, we got a hot one here!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought a cheap BSA RDS to see if I would even like such a sight.

Let's see $35 vs $500.

Shot the thing to pieces in one day.

Bought a Tripower afterwards.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
tag.
cheap stuff can be fun to abuse
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Why didn't you put it on the flat-top?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, for one, am glad that there are less expensive options out there.   Not every enlisted man has the money to outfit themselves with the bestest optics.  Not when you're shelling out hundreds of  dollars for other gear that you need.  Is it the greatest ? - maybe not.  Who cares?  I have an Aimpoint . . . lucky me.  Most guys don't.  If China makes nearly the same thing but cheaper . . . well call me un-American but I'm buying foreign.

The NSN for the Aimpoint CompM2 is (I think) 1240-25-149-0341.  Supply guys. . . .get your Marines/Troops the gear they need.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, for one, am glad that there are less expensive options out there.   Not every enlisted man has the money to outfit themselves with the bestest optics.  Not when you're shelling out hundreds of  dollars for other gear that you need.  Is it the greatest ? - maybe not.  Who cares?  I have an Aimpoint . . . lucky me.  Most guys don't.  If China makes nearly the same thing but cheaper . . . well call me un-American but I'm buying foreign.

The NSN for the Aimpoint CompM2 is (I think) 1240-25-149-0341.  Supply guys. . . .get your Marines/Troops the gear they need.

This is what drives me nuts!!!
A knock-off and the real thing are NOTHING alike!
The knock offs are not as durable, are not warrentied, will not hold zero, will not stand up to abuse, etc.

Nothing wrong with buying an inexpensive optic.
But don't lie to yourself and think that there is no difference.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#30]

The knock offs are not as durable, are not warrentied, will not hold zero, will not stand up to abuse, etc.

Not the case so far. i have put close to 1000 rds through it, and NO zero shift.

And I never said it was identical, just a damn good alternative to those of us with limited budgets.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

You need to go over to the Optics forum, and find Photoman's review and TORTURE test of the S.P.O.T. Mk III.   He beat it up, he left it in the rain, in the snow... he THREW an M4 up in the air... put pics of it up... and the scope STILL WORKED.  It was scratched up but it WORKED.

The fact is, people can make something that looks similar, that does a similar job, and will work, and last, and take some measure of abuse, for a lot less than the name brands.   Under extreme duty and use, they might fall short, but most of us here are NOT soldiers out in the field 24/7, most of us here will NEVER see combat, so most of us here don't NEED the ABSOLUTE BEST PRODUCT, and choose to buy something a little less.  

I'm planning on picking up a S.P.O.T. Mk III to slap on my CX4.  I'm not a high speed low drag uber tactical SWAT special forces enforcer operator, so I cannot justify spending $400+ on something I'm going to use at the range and at the occasional carbine match.  After seeing what the S.P.O.T. went through, I'd have no hesitation using it in MY circumstances.  

All y'all with the Aimpoints, more power to ya!  I'm sure they will hold up for years of use and abuse.  But spending a buttload more money on an optic really doesn't give you the right to SHIT on those of us that choose something 'lesser'.

If a lot of you gear snobs applied your logic all the way around, you'd be driving Ferraris, living in mansions and have everything top-dollar.   But I'm betting (most of) you don't.    Cut the thrifty ones of us some slack.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
...All the gear whores can FUCK OFF. Yeah, that's right! FUCK OFF.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#33]
More chest beating from the gear queers.

Fuck 'em, if it works for you, then awesome, more power to ya, I'm an iron sights guy though.

Anonymous people over the internet are not experts in what works for you. Fuck 'em.

These are the same people who argue that no one is qualified to tell them what guns they need to own because they aren't deer hunters.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img148.imageshack.us/img148/8255/20040319l1tj.jpg

No no no, your math's all wrong.

Idiot with nothing to add to the conversation + picture he's nowhere near clever enough to draw himself + desire for attention = total fuckwad.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Idiot with nothing to add to the conversation + picture he's nowhere near clever enough to draw himself + desire for attention = total fuckwad.

Use what ever works for you man.  I use one of the "cheap" knockoffs too, but I always have a BUIS jjust waiting to be flipped up into position.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a TacPoint on my M4 for quite a while.  Worked great!  I just got an EoTech for it.  The TacPoint will go on my FAL when I get it back from being converted into a carbine.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I personally have a TacPoint blue ring red dot that I love, and I paid less than $100 for it.  So I guess we are both heretics...

Who gives a tinker's shit what THEY think.  If it works for you and you enjoy it, more power to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]
So um....when you thinkin about sellin that mario pillow?
(to me)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get so defensive! You claim to love your authentic imitation gear, so why do you sound like you're about to have an aneurism?

Besides, you are in good company. Many folks share your sentiment that knock-off crap straight-from-ebay gear is good to go...

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get so defensive! You claim to love your authentic imitation gear, so why do you sound like you're about to have an aneurism?

Besides, you are in good company. Many folks share your sentiment that knock-off crap straight-from-ebay gear is good to go...

img142.imageshack.us/img142/2033/airsoft8fy0ya.jpg

Well, if it's crap from ebay that works perfectly well and is just lacking a namebrand marking....

Is it really CRAP?

Now dude, go color or something, the adults are talking.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:04:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just curious, what grip is that?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
More chest beating from the gear queers.

Fuck 'em, if it works for you, then awesome, more power to ya, I'm an iron sights guy though.

Anonymous people over the internet are not experts in what works for you. Fuck 'em.

These are the same people who argue that no one is qualified to tell them what guns they need to own because they aren't deer hunters.

Bingo! +1 from this iron sight snob.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#43]
My friend had one on his 12g.  It was only able to last 20rds after that the zero went to shit.  Stuck it on another friends rifle and it still wouldn't hold.  Good luck with it, but my experience says that it is a disposable scope.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

LOL...  I didn't see the pillow until I read that...  Too cool
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Hahahahahahahahaaha
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
That bipod looks familiar

You like it?

Haha you're the one I bought it from right?

I haven't shot the gun with it, but yes I'm satisfied.  Very easy to take on and off and obviously can be used with a bunch of different mounting adapters.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Why didn't you put it on the flat-top?

Because I wanted to be able to use iron sights and the RDS.  As I said earlier, I'll probably get an ARMS BUIS later on and co-witness them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
So um....when you thinkin about sellin that mario pillow?
(to me)

Nevaarrrr!! That thing is badasss =-P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top