Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 7:43:29 PM EDT
Hopefully this is good news for anybody in Kansas. How can a rural state have such a fucked up Governor ?

Conceal And Carry Bill Advances

Conceal Carry

March 14-A bill allowing Kansans to carry concealed guns is one step closer to becoming law.

The House passes the Conceal and Carry Bill returning it to the Senate where it passed by a large margin.

It looks like Kansans will soon be able to carry concealed guns.

The bill could become law.

Because it's passed with more then a two-thirds majority in the House and Senate, a veto by the governor could be overridden..

Opinions on the streets of Wichita regarding conceal and carry seem split.

But in the House, it's not that close.

The bill passes 90 to 33.

Some changes were made -- the house added daycare centers, churches and libraries to the list of areas where hidden guns are banned.

Republican Senator Phil Journey is sponsoring the bill.

He says now it's a matter of getting the bill on the Governor's desk as soon as possible.

"The plan has been from the beginning to get this bill on the Governor.'s desk and if she chooses to veto it, back in our hands before first adjournment."

That's by April 1st .

Journey says he thinks Governor Kathleen Sebelius will veto the bill as she did a few years ago to similar legislation.

But this time around, a two thirds majority in the House and Senate would override the veto.

Supporters of the bill, both Republican and Democrat, are confident it's just a matter of time before the bill becomes law.

But Journey says it's not a done deal yet.

"I feel good today. We are on the third turn, on the home stretch , but we have not won the race yet."

Kansas is one of only 4 states that ban concealed weapons.

If this bill becomes law, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Illinois will be the only states without conceal and carry.

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/2464541.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
ours going good in Ne too but they can't pass it with a state preemption so  it looks like cities will be able to ban CCW at a local level

at least our gov said he would sign it
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Great, but why prohibit concealed carry in churches and libraries?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What will this make, 39 or 40?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It is concealed carry, who knows who is carrying or not if you do it right ? Doesn't make any sense though, shouldn't regular christian Americans be allowed to be armed in case some radical muslims attack their church ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is concealed carry, who knows who is carrying or not if you do it right ? Doesn't make any sense though, shouldn't regular christian Americans be allowed to be armed in case some radical muslims attack their church ?

WHAT???

You don't even want our churches to be safe from the violence that handguns cause?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem comes when you actually do need to use the gun.  Hopefully it won't be a felony level crime.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WHAT???

You don't even want our churches to be safe from the violence that handguns cause?

WHAT??? Handguns cause violence??....I'd better sell mine....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

WHAT??? Handguns cause violence??....I'd better sell mine....

I'll give you all the money in my pocket for them..... sight unseen.

Just let me know.....

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem comes when you actually do need to use the gun.  Hopefully it won't be a felony level crime.

Is defending yourself and your family more important than commiting a possible felony ? I think so, on one hand there is legal and illegal, and then on the other there is right and wrong, two seperate topics even though the consequences have to be dealt with sometimes. Better to be a little illegal sometimes and right than be legal and wrong.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#13]
As a Kansan...oh hells yeah.  Our elected officials have been working for this for a long time, I'll be letting the supporters know how much we appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]

She's toeing the party line on some issues, and not on others.  I don't think she's a bad Governor...in fact, she's probably better for the state than the GOP candidates would have been.

Let's not forget that our last Republican governor, Bill Graves, vetoed CCW under his watch, too.  

Hopefully this will pass and she'll either sign it (unlikely) or the legislature can override it.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

47 sir.  Count on Wisconsin passing next year and making 48.  Nebraska should pass theirs within the next few years as well, leaving ONLY Illinois as a "right denied" state.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Just curious...

Is it likely our senators will override a veto or just let it go?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All the gunfire will disturb sleeping children and people who are trying to read.  

I worked in a library for a while.  You'd be lucky to hear gunfire over the children.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]

I think there is going to be a concerted effort to override the veto.  

How many times must the People of Kansas state their wishes through our elected representatives only to have a Governor unilaterally decide what is "best for us"?

Jim
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think there is going to be a concerted effort to override the veto.  

How many times must the People of Kansas state their wishes through our elected representatives only to have a Governor unilaterally decide what is "best for us"?

Jim

Only as many times as we try to pass laws for the people while "she" is in office.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]
You guys from Kansas need to call and email Sebelius as often as you can!  By the way DUPE

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=432467
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

47 sir.  Count on Wisconsin passing next year and making 48.  Nebraska should pass theirs within the next few years as well, leaving ONLY Illinois as a "right denied" state.

New Jersey doesn't really count as having the right.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New Jersey doesn't really count as having the right.

Don't give me that crap.  I live in Illinois, which is RIGHT DENIED, read NO HOPE.  You might live in a state that is, "Right restricted" but there is absolutely no hope for getting a carry permit in Illinois because they do not issue them, AT ALL.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Good luck Kansas!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We still have a good chance of getting it this year.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maryland is a "may issue" state which means almost no one apart from attorneys and buddies of the local Democrap Party can get a permit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maryland is a "may issue" state which means almost no one apart from attorneys and buddies of the local Democrap Party can get a permit.

yeah yeah yeah.  Illinois is a "right denied" state with no hope at all of getting a permit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Since we have an overwhelming majority of states with concealed carry laws, why don't we just amend the US constitution with something like " The United States or any of the several States shall not infringe on the right of the people to keep or bear arms."

Oh, wait...n/m.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top