Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:05:39 AM EDT
Cnn.Com

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said.

Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, authorities said.

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.

McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, won the state title in June and represented the state "with dignity and pride," state pageant director Laura Loeb-Hill told The Associated Press via e-mail Monday night.

McAvoy was to represent Texas at the Miss Deaf America pageant this summer, Loeb-Hill said.

McAvoy graduated last year from the Texas School for the Deaf, attended Austin Community College and then started at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., in January, but had returned to Texas, Loeb-Hill said.

I think we've got a Darwin award candidate. It's sad and all but come one, she's deaf. You think she'd figure out to look for a train near a train track or at least feel the vibrations.Maybe there were some weird circumstances involved but either way, just wow.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
old news here....DUPE

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTDupe

ETA  Damn
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]
First I've heard - damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Sad but ironic
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=445764

FYI, the earlier thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=445764

FYI, the earlier thread.

Ahh, my b. Didn't look far enough back. Guess I should become a member for the search feature haha. Been meaning to join anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sad but ironic

I can't beleive she couldn't feel the ground vibrating?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sad but ironic

Yeah... Suicide.   Deaf people know better then to put themselves into situations such as that.  That would be like standing in front of a firehouse all day long.  Eventually a firetruck is going to come hauling out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Tragic  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Blonde and deaf.  Life is a bitch.  Don't play on highways.  Or railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Am I the only one who actually laughed when reading that story?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Sad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By KC-130 FLT ENG:
Am I the only one who actually laughed when reading that story?

Nope…

I kinda chuckled on the other thread in which the author was asking if it was ironic.  Someone said it would've been ironic if the train engineer was blind.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Article I read said she was about 3 feet from the tracks when hit. The train that hit her had a snow plow attached and they stick out farther then the width of a normal train, like a foot or two. So I don't think it was a suicide.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
man that'd be funny if your kid got killed.......

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with those thinking it was suicide.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
dupe police, come out with your donuts!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
dupe police, come out with your donuts!

Oh crap!

RUN BOYS!

IBTL!

PIE!

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Article I read said she was about 3 feet from the tracks when hit. The train that hit her had a snow plow attached and they stick out farther then the width of a normal train, like a foot or two. So I don't think it was a suicide.

A snowplow?

In Texas?

What on earth for?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
First I've heard - damn that sucks.

Was the pun intended?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A snowplow?

In Texas?

What on earth for?

Maybe it was a cattle herder plower thingie.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted from the other thread for info:

Quoted:
I was puzzled by this too and talked to an officer familiar with it.

She wasn't on the tracks, but walking to one side.  What killed her was some sort of track repair rigging mount on the front of the engine.  It apparently sticks out about 4 feet to each side and struck her from behind, dragging her and then throwing her into the ditch.  She must have felt the vibrations but thought she was safe.  Train speed was about 15mph.  

Sad story.  I find nothing to laugh about.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems as though she was DEAF and DUMB!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A snowplow?

In Texas?

What on earth for?

Heck I don't know. Being from Ohio, I didn't think it sounded odd, but it is for you guys in TX. Here is a link to the article.

link
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sad but ironic

Yeah... Suicide.   Deaf people know better then to put themselves into situations such as that.  That would be like standing in front of a firehouse all day long.  Eventually a firetruck is going to come hauling out.

I live less than .5 miles from where she was hit. That section of track has had roughly 20 fatalities from people(90% hearing) walking on the track in the past 25 years. The fact she may have not felt the vibrations of the train does not surprise me.

The intersection and ground make up is not conducive to vibration. I have stood at the crossing and watched as the train passed. Vibrations from the track could not be felt till the train was within 20 yards. So I would hesitate to call this a suicide, but just another dumb teen taking a short cut.

Unfortunately this 5 mile section of track has a problem of being relitively strait and the trains are traveling at 35 mph to 45mph for amtrack. The train that hit her was a frieght train and was doing 30 when the acident occured.

Not to rant but that is my prespective from someone who lives in the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sad but ironic

I·ro·ny     P   Pronunciation Key  (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.

2. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

3. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated”

Where is the irony?

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#31]
People get smoked by trains alll the time and they can hear fine, shit happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Ohhh....that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A snowplow?

In Texas?

What on earth for?

Heck I don't know. Being from Ohio, I didn't think it sounded odd, but it is for you guys in TX. Here is a link to the article.

link

In the other thread it was supposed to be some sort of track repair rigging that stuck out 3 to 4 feet from either side.  I quoted JohnInAustins from the other thread above where he talked to a cop that was familiar with the situation.

I find it odd that in the above article the "snowplow" sticks out 1 to 2 feet to either side yet she was 2 to 3  feet away and it got her.  Must of  just "barely" got her.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#34]
While tragic, it was avoidable.  I'm pretty certain she was trespassing as well.  Train tracks are rarely on public property, and most have signs saying who they belong to as well as a trespassing disclaimer.

Keep your eyes peeled if you're going to be walking on/around train tracks.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#35]
That tickles my funny bone in a warped way ?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Seems as though she was DEAF and DUMB!

That's NOT funny.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The train that hit her was a frieght train and was doing 30 when the acident occured.

30mph! That makes here even dumber!

I've read 15, 20 and now 30 mph.  I've read snowplow and then repair rigging.  I've read she texted messaged her dad and then mom.  She was on the tracks and she was several feet away.

Whatever the story is, there's a whole lot of BS being flung around.  

Moral of the story - be aware of yourself and your environment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Question:

Does anyone know if Miss Deaf Texas was one of those hearing impared people who have been resisting getting cochlear implants or using one of the other surgical methods to restor their hearing because it was "destroying deaf culture"?

Its been a problem before.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
The worst part is people who live next to these rails want "hornless" grade crossings installed by UP.  These crossing are gated, with flashing red lights.  The engineer is not to blow his/her horn, instead there are two horns at the crossings that go off if a car is in the crossings.

The enigineer can face fines from local LEO's, be reprimanded by company, or even terminated and lose the license to operate.

Its bullshit.

People are complaining about trains being noisy, but the trains were there first.  You knew, moving in, there were railroad tracks nearby.  Bitch, piss, and moan.  Those particular rails were there for well over 100 years.

The plow looking thing is what she got hit by.  It does not extend past the sides of the steps.

Secondly, if she was within 3 feet of the tracks, on railroad property, its her own damned fault, because that is wholly illegal.  20ft off to the sides of the tracks is railroad property.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#42]
the local town on the va. side has had a law made making it illegal for trains to sound horns around town because it disturbs the residents. Not certain about laws go but it would seem safety laws for the railroad would supercede such local laws. But good for those who would rather risk a life or lives so they don't have to be woken up by the trains.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Stealth writes,

Sad story. I find nothing to laugh about.

+1

Don't forget about the train engineers here. Even though they did nothing wrong , that has to be a terrible thing to live with.

So sorry for all involved.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#44]
double-tap
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#45]
choo, chooo....chugga...chugga....chugga...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#46]
thats very sad, but WTF was she doing near the train tracks? Was she looking for willy wonkas golden fucking ticket? I mean, she better have had a damn good reason for being there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The worst part is people who live next to these rails want "hornless" grade crossings installed by UP.  

A few years ago, Caltrains (Bay Area of California's passenger trains) installed super loud horns on their trains.  They did this in response to people being upset by the occasional pedestrian on the tracks or vehicle at a crossing getting hit by trains.  

Immediately, Caltrains was bombarded with complaints about the horns being too loud.  So, they muffled the horns to get them to down to the volume of the previous horns.  

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The train that hit her was a frieght train and was doing 30 when the acident occured.

uh, you might want to learn how to spell "her"  before you call people dumb.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

uh, you might want to learn how to spell "her"  before you call people dumb.

Ouch...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Man, you fuckers have no shame! AT LEAST no one has said theyd hit it after the train did. I expected that.

But, in all seriousness, that's a tragedy for her and her family. Wish that upon no teenage girl.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top