User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
here's mine... I'll send a NIW USGI 30 round mag to the first person who can identify mine....

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/flzip.jpg

CHAD!

www.kythri.net/pictures/chad_flag.gif

www.kythri.net/pictures/chad_map.gif

you guys got the country right. but I was looking for something a little more specific... dig deeper.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
my avatar will remain changed until the full answer is discovered.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
for me it's a nostalgia thing.

Yeah Zippos helped me score.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
here's mine... I'll send a NIW USGI 30 round mag to the first person who can identify mine....

CHAD!

you guys got the country right. but I was looking for something a little more specific... dig deeper.

French Foreign Legion Zippo.  2nd REP?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CHAD!

French Foreign Legion Zippo.  2nd REP?

you got it, unfortunately I can't legally send you the mag, but maybe there's something else you need. Let me know.

btw, for more info...

translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=pagesperso.aol.fr/__121b_1hdJIMKZtKpXkAccGHm6VZ%2BxvWL8tZZnO9DozfTzqok%3D&prev=/search%3Fq%3Doperation%2Bepervier%2B%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

I bought that lighter in the summer of '93 in Abeche at the FFL PX at the airbase.  As a US Peace Corps volunteer, I had access to the base to use the PX and access the French military medical facilities.  BTW, I was in the IRR as an 11C at the same time I was a volunteer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
1. Do yourself a favor and stop smoking. You did it once, stop again. You will live a lot longer. You can do it. In this day and age, there is no reason for anyone on the planet to smoke, given what we know about the health risk.

2. Frankly, I have no idea why Zippos are so cool. Although, they are. They dry up in about three days if you don't keep them loaded with fluid, they need flints, they leak if you store them sideways., you can smell them about three feet away if you know what it is you smell, and they're 20X the cost of a single Bic.

I have a Zippo in my BOB, as well as spare flints and fluid.....but I'm not sure why.  Bics are much more efficient.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Had mine for the last 12 years, it got retired about 6 years ago, and brought back out about 2 weeks ago and gone back to using it regulary.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Zippos are outdated...

just like the 1911........
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know why, but when I smoke cigarettes, I use a Zippo. For my pipe or the very occasional cigar (not that I smoke at all more than very occasionally...), it's matches only, though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one zippo...It has never been used, our CO gave them to us when we celebrated the 50th anni of Normady in Normandy.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have my grandpa's Zippo.

I always remember him wearing biboveralls with a pocket watch, his Zippo, and a pack of pal Mal reds in the front pockets.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I am sitting on a Zippo that my great grandfather bought right after WWI.

Its a gas hog but still works everytime!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I have yet to see a lighter that really is better for lighting cigarettes.  Butane lighters are nice, and some torches far more windproof, but I've never seen one that didn't eventually leak or shit the bed somehow.  No matter the pricetag.

My dad had a zippo that he carried through vietnam.  Had his unit engraved in it, nicely done.  A few months after getting home, he was driving down the road, lit a smoke, hit a pothole, and *whoop* out the window goes the zippo.  By the time he could get back to it, it was flat and in a few pieces.  He tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it for 20 or so years.

I found the thing in a box, and sent it back to Zippo with a letter asking them to at least send it back if they couldn't fix it.

They fixed it alright.  Stretched the case back out to spec, polished, new hinge and insert.  Like brand new.  They even sent back the parts.. The squished insert and busted hinge.  Oh yea, and a penny keychain.. "The cent never spent to fix a Zippo".
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to many industrial job sites and bic's are banned but Zippos ar ok. the are safer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have yet to see a lighter that really is better for lighting cigarettes.  Butane lighters are nice, and some torches far more windproof, but I've never seen one that didn't eventually leak or shit the bed somehow.  No matter the pricetag.

My dad had a zippo that he carried through vietnam.  Had his unit engraved in it, nicely done.  A few months after getting home, he was driving down the road, lit a smoke, hit a pothole, and *whoop* out the window goes the zippo.  By the time he could get back to it, it was flat and in a few pieces.  He tossed it in a drawer and forgot about it for 20 or so years.

I found the thing in a box, and sent it back to Zippo with a letter asking them to at least send it back if they couldn't fix it.

They fixed it alright.  Stretched the case back out to spec, polished, new hinge and insert.  Like brand new.  They even sent back the parts.. The squished insert and busted hinge.  Oh yea, and a penny keychain.. "The cent never spent to fix a Zippo".

Holy crap thats some awesome customer service!  I may send my beat up zippo back and see if I can get it refurbed.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Zippos aren't cool. They leak gas and dry out.  They won't start your survival fire. They are heavy.

They do have a cool action,  they look cool but they are just gadgets.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
GREAT STORY

That's a great story.  Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Zippo's can also double as a candle - handily, you can light it, and set it down, and it'll continue burning.

Very useful if you need light, and you don't have any alternatives.  I've read part of a book by Zippo-light during a power outage, when I had no batteries in any of my flashlights, no candles, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got four of these, three are still brand new, Just been using this one for the last five years. When the boat was getting decommissioned I got four of them from the ship's store for $10 total  +1 on the smell f lghter fluid

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41655

Im a grown man and that kinda stuff makes me cry.

Especially when the old girl is getting left moored up to a shipyard pier to rot after 35 years of service and the other boats in her class would be stripping whatever parts they could use off of it. Kinda sad but just part of the cycle.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Because they make fire!! Yeah, Yeah!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Zippos are outdated...

Yeah, like 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Because of the signature "clink" they make when you open them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Its realy hard to throw a Bic lighter and yell Yippee-ki-yay, motherfu**er... Well at least for me..
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Its realy hard to throw a Bic lighter and yell Yippee-ki-yay, motherfu**er... Well at least for me..

Reminds me as a kid of the time I found a BIC while walking home. I picked it up and tossed it down the street. It must of hit at just the right angle because it exploded into a ball of fire. 30 years later and I’ve yet to get the same results.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Someone needs to do another run of AR15 zippos.

You can also get a torch insert to fit a zippo now. It is great for cigar smokers.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You can also get a torch insert to fit a zippo now. It is great for cigar smokers.

Got one, and it works quite well.  Never have to worry about reservoir drying out.  I bet Zippo is kicking themselves for not thought of this first.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I have been using the same Zippo for 25 years
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
IMO Zippo's aren't cool.

There are many great windproof lighters (I have two) made for outdoor camping gear that will put Zippo's to shame!

I have two of those as well ... a Brunton Helios and a Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter.  Yes, from a technical standpoint both outperform the lowly Zippo in many areas:

1.  Flame is windproof up to 70mph (and maybe more).  The Zippo is windproof but only to a certain extent.  Not 70mph.  

2.  Fluid does not dry up as quickly as a Zippo.  My Zippo has to be "reloaded" every week under normal conditions (and I do NOT smoke).  My Helios can go weeks without being refilled.  In fact, I wonder whether either lighter loses any significant fuel due to evaporation.

3.  Zippo will not light when the wick is wet.  The others will.  I've tried.

4.  As noted before, some cigar smokers avoid Zippos because of the taste it may impart to a cigar.  The butane lighter works better.

That said, I have a Zippo and I love it.  Plus, it is made here in Pennsylvania (Bedford).

Quoted:

I've been having trouble finding one.  Last two tobacco stores I visited had never heard of it.  I guess I'll continue my hunt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Snip...

Finally dug out the old Zippo last week.  Damn this thing is cool.

WHY?

Because it's not child-proof/resistant.

Also, it's been in more movies than John Wayne...

www.zippo.com/media/pdf/zippo_movie_list.pdf
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IMO Zippo's aren't cool.

There are many great windproof lighters (I have two) made for outdoor camping gear that will put Zippo's to shame!

I have two of those as well ... a Brunton Helios and a Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter.  Yes, from a technical standpoint both outperform the lowly Zippo in many areas:

1.  Flame is windproof up to 70mph (and maybe more).  The Zippo is windproof but only to a certain extent.  Not 70mph.  

2.  Fluid does not dry up as quickly as a Zippo.  My Zippo has to be "reloaded" every week under normal conditions (and I do NOT smoke).  My Helios can go weeks without being refilled.  In fact, I wonder whether either lighter loses any significant fuel due to evaporation.

3.  Zippo will not light when the wick is wet.  The others will.  I've tried.

4.  As noted before, some cigar smokers avoid Zippos because of the taste it may impart to a cigar.  The butane lighter works better.

That said, I have a Zippo and I love it.  Plus, it is made here in Pennsylvania (Bedford).

Quoted:

I've been having trouble finding one.  Last two tobacco stores I visited had never heard of it.  I guess I'll continue my hunt.

Google is your friend.

Z-plus insert

Another source
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Google is your friend.

Z-plus insert

Another source

Thanks, but I was hoping to find one locally.  Paying shipping on a $10 item seems kinda weird when I should be able to find one in a store.  Then again, I have not been having much luck finding them in local stores!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top