Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:25:39 AM EDT
I'm in San Antonio, about 10 miles from the Sun.  It is hot here, sometimes cold.  

I need to repair the outlet plenum made of duct board, it is coming apart.  I don't know anything about mastic, fiberglass tape, duct board etc.  

Should I just re-mastic and re-tape the existing duct board or take it all down and get new ductboard?  Less hastle is better.  The top piece of duct board has fallen down into the plenum and so I'll have to fish it out and will probably replace it.

Is stapling the duct board together necessairy on 90 degree corners?   On any other corners?

Is there a good way to ensure that the mastic and or tape sticks permanently?  ( what the hell is mastic anyway? )  

Also need to replace the Flexible Ducting that has been killed by UV.   It had gray plastic on the outside and that died...of course...from the turbo ventilators light leakage.

There is black plastic UV resistant insulated Flex Duct and also Metalic insulated flex duct.   I'm figuring lined on the inside is better from a dust/mold standpoint.   What should I use?

Any other considerations?

Any and all advice is welcome.  

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
First, if you can afford one, get one made from sheet metal and islulated on the inside.  It will cost more, but will last forever.

If you can't go this route, buy a knife made for duct board.  It has 2 blades, and will cut a 90 degree groove, so you can fold the duct board to make square corners.  Use the foil tape.  

Use the foil faced flexible duct.  It seems to hold up longer.  They all have a plastic tube inside.  When you replace the flexible duct, make sure you tape the inside tube to the duct, and then pull the insulated portion down and tape it also.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.   Good info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top