Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 6:01:54 PM EDT
I'm asking this in GD instead of Florida Hometown because I'd like to get responses from people who used to live there as well.

What's it like? Crime? COL? Wages? Beaches? Traffic? You know, basically what it's like to live there.

I assume, for example, that I best know Spanish pretty well if I decide to live there, and a CCW is a good idea (although, that's pretty much the case everywhere).

ETA: Estoy gringo, no chicano.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm asking this in GD instead of Florida Hometown because I'd like to get responses from people who used to live there as well.

What's it like? Crime? COL? Wages? Beaches? Traffic? You know, basically what it's like to live there.

I assume, for example, that I best know Spanish pretty well if I decide to live there, and a CCW is a good idea (although, that's pretty much the case everywhere).

Hottest chicks I've seen in all of the US
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in Miami right now, I am also gringo and this is my second time moving back within 10 years.  I do not speak Spanish but you pick up words fast.  If you come in with an open mind and can put up with people that do not speak English its not that bad.  The beaches are great, women.... there are no better!, traffic sucks major ass, hurricanes every year, wages are somewhat low unless you have a transfer job.  The food here is so good, tons of places to go.  If you enjoy the water and have means its unreal.  Fishing is good but there are no good places to hunt.  They are really strict on guns here and no one will sign off.  Crime is not what it was made out to be.  Well I guess not in my area.  My car is unlocked right now and 5 out of 7 times a week it is.  Did I say the women are like no other?  I guess that is it.  It seems like no one works and you will pass more high end cars than you can count.  Reality does not exist here!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't mess with the cop driving the white Testarosa..........
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
well, my only MIAMI experience was my ex gf, she used to model for "Ford Modeling" some agency which contracted for CK and Hilfiger (sp) she was cool, but her South Beach stories were FUCKED UP.  If i lived there, I would def carry concealed.  Otherwise, they have HOT women, thats all I can add, sorry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Miami blows. Dont go anywhere unarmed, I wouldnt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hot women.
Too much traffic.
More hot women.
Good food.
That Spanish thing is over rated.
More hot women.
Low pay.
Cheap license plates.
Very expensive car insurance.
The ocean is great.
More hot women.
Crime is over rated unless you look for it.
South beach is for tourist, and woemen watching.
Miami, to see it like a native is to carry.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You guys are weak and Im sure not ever been here.  ITs really not that bad.  Just dont go to several places.  But that is just like any other city.  

Capt, I know your from FL, but agian its not that bad.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Fort Lauderdale for a year. Spent a ton of time in Miami. I liked it. I interviewed with Amerijet, I didn't want to stay in the area.

We used to party only in Miami. For me, I liked to stay out of the area.

Met some great people down there.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, sounds much better than here...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are weak and Im sure not ever been here.  ITs really not that bad.  Just dont go to several places.  But that is just like any other city.  

Capt, I know your from FL, but agian its not that bad.  

I've been there a couple times and no one I know who visited would disagree with me. I'm not weak, just not a Miami native and I wouldnt have felt comfortable if I wasnt carrying anywhere I went. That's my experience, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I understand that, I felt the same when I moved here.  I wanted a place with a gate, guard, and gun.  But its better than what I thought.  Sure when I go to the beach at night, I have my CCW.  And there are times that I do feel I need to have my CCW.  But all in all its just like any other place I lived.  Just there are many that do not speak the language.  I think that is why it gets a bad rep!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I live in Miami now.
Learn basic spanish.

Crime- Stay away from the poor parts of town.
COL- Good luck finding an affordable house in a decent neighborhood.
Wages- Good if you have a college education, if you only have a HS education, you gotta bust your ass.
Beaches- Holy crap, there are hot women here, again, LEARN BASIC SPANISH.
Traffic- Worse than LA traffic. Traffic is bad only during rush hour. We have really bad drivers.

General life- It is a party city, no way around it, everyone goes clubbing in Miami. Not as much old people unless you closer to the richest parts of town. Most of the suburbs are great neighborhoods. Cuban neighbors can take some getting used to, we are loud but we usually dont party as much as south americans do. Get used to SHTF whenever canes hit.

Again, there are good parts of town and BAAADDD parts of town.

Good- Westchester, Kendall, Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Fountainbleau

Alright areas- Sweetwater, South Miami, Hialeah

Avoid- Opa-locka, Carol City, North Miami in general, neighborhoods around Miami International Airport
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Cuba North
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
ATTENTION:  Will the last American leaving Miami please bring the flag.  That is all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want the difinitive Miami opinion - ask Ed Sr.

I grew up in Miami.

1962 to 1985, and have been back quite a few times over the last 20 years

Since 1998,  I refuse to go south of Orlando unless my company is paying all my expenses and it is for legitimate business reasons.  I don't need to go looking for headaches.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I was there for a few weeks, but had to go home because I didn't like being a minority.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#17]
The responses you've read so far are pretty spot on.

Traffic runs from 0001 to 2359.  

Actually it is STILL pretty heavy  at 7pm.

Lotsa left-lane Nazi, rubbernecking (moreso than other states in my experience), cell phone talking, absentminded, passengers behind the steering wheel.

Two seasons: hot and hotter.  Dry and rainy (dry during the 'winter' months and low humidity too)

No mountains (seems obvious, but, well ...)

Good watersports (SCUBA, etc ...) some of the best wreck diving in the world

If you're a big game fisherman, world class fishing starts at just 3 miles offshore.

Bring these

edit:  I speak Spanish as well so I really can't help with advice in working that part out
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

1. Crime - It's there, they got LOTS of it. Los Angeles is worse but Miami is doing the best they can.

2. COL - It's up there. There is a severe housing deficit and mostly new arrivals cannot afford single family homes. I think median price range is about $375,000 for a starter home.

3. Unless you are a high power type wages are shit. And good luck competing for jobs with 500,000 illegals from Haiti to Cuba.

4. Beaches are mostly shit. Trash and cigarette butts. Mose beach movies that are suppossed to depict Miami are filmed in Ft. Lauderdale. South Beach is still wild if you are young and into that stuff.

5. Traffic. During rush hour the major roads like I-95 become a parking lot for 3 hours. LA is worse but Miami is trying to catch up.

Basically South Florida in general is becoming a ghettoed out shithole full of third world illegals who make themselves at home and turn what was once a pretty cool city into a shitty little version of the country they left. I wouldn't live in Miami if it was FREE.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Styer,

You can still do smoke bombs in the streets!  Coffee can size!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Styer,

Sure, it's nothing compared to a Liberty City riot.

Miami fucking blows. Get out while you can.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Styer,

Are you thinking of the same Liberty City I am?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Styer,

Talking about Liberty City in Dade County (Miami).
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Styer,

Talking about Liberty City in Dade County (Miami).

Then no.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#25]
two words:

SOUTH BEACH

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife was down there a couple of years ago for a job interview.  She is from the Third World and said the place is too Third World for her to want to live there.  On the other hand a friend of mine lives there and loves it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top