Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:44:29 PM EDT
I'm tired of it. I'm 24 and have been smoking for half of my life, since I was in 8th grade.

I have breathing problems because of it, it costs too much, and it is pointless.

Anybody got any tips on quitting?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Use the patch. Don't even bother trying without it. I smoked 2 packs a day for about 25 years before I quit 10 weeks ago. It was MUCH easier than I anticipated, and I sure do wish I had done it years ago. Within a week my sense of smell was almost completely restored. Food tastes better. Now after 10 weeks I have a hell of a lot more lung capacity than I have had in many years. And I can tell you, smokers (especially right after they just had a smoke) STINK.

One tip - the patch program starts out with wearing a 21mg patch for 6 weeks (OK so far) followed by a 14mg patch for two weeks and a 7mg patch for 2 weeks - don't be afraid to wear the 14 mg patches for more than 2 weeks. When I went to the 7mg patches I immediately started having cravings for the first time since I quit. I bought another box of 14mg patches and so far have worn them for 4 weeks. I'm going to try the 7mg patches again this week.

Most importantly, JUST DO IT.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I smoked for 13 years and succesfully quit.

Put it down and walk away.Like you mean it !

You have to convince yourself that your stronger than
that little cancer stick.

Get yourself into some hobby you can focus on as well.
That can help keep your mind busy.

Add up the money you would have spent on smokes in a
month's time,and reward yourself with something of equivilant cost
after making it the first month.
That helped me nyway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Have a heart attack...it'll stop your craving  (happened to my mom)
Dont try quitting cold turkey....dad tried this method, ended up in the ER for withdrawls

He said that chewing gum helped ALOT

Another buddy of mine quit smoking and went to dip/chew and then started chewing gum....said it was no problem at all.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm tired of it. I'm 24 and have been smoking for half of my life, since I was in 8th grade.

I have breathing problems because of it, it costs too much, and it is pointless.

Anybody got any tips on quitting?

My Dad had breathing problems as well..........to the point where he quit breathing because of smoking.  

Good luck on quitting.   Watching ones Dad die    from smoking just reaffirmed me not smoking.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a can of cinnamon Altoids and use one everytime after eating something.

The taste of food is a strong trigger for the cravings.  You need to change the taste in your mouth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I quit cold turkey about 12-14 years ago.

Was pretty easy for me .... I am pretty strong willed.

Best of luck.

Best thing you could ever do for yourself & your loved ones.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Zyban.  Works like magic. Only side effect was me laying around the house not interested by anything.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Here in Calif, we have a 100% tax on tobacco products, and we're up to about $5/pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top