Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 11:09:49 PM EDT
Hi all.

Here's the short verison.

Two NCO's were discussing ways to max out their PT scores - when doing pushups, drop down and just use your muscles to push up.

They each had several points, but I wasn't part of the discussion.

Anyone have any advice for the pushups and situps?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Repetition is all.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Do more PT

good luck
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I would work on the run. There's more points there. All I can say whenever you have spare time just drop down and do some push up or sit ups. Just do 10-20 here and there. Thats how guys I know trained to max out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#4]
As much as anything, I'm curious.

I've never failed a PT test.  I'm not about to; I actually get out on my own time and stay in shape.

Guess I'll ask when I run into them.

Enjoy the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Do them as fast as possible...

If you do them slow, you WILL do less....

Now drop and gimme 20

1 2 3 ONE! 1 2 3 TWO!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
wah wah wah
i wanna go home
milk and cookies
i hate hawaii

Try to do 100 situps and 100 pushups every night. Don't waste your energy going down on either, let gravity pull you down.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are stopped by muscle failure (eg you allways have time left), at about the point where you first feel yourself 'burning out', switch from continuous reps to sets of 5, assuming the rest position for a few seconds between sets (Army PT test, anyhow)... Obviously this doesn't work if you get stopped by time....

When doing your workout, DO NOT let gravity pull you down - lower yourself, and go 'all the way down' for pushups...

When going for-record, then you let gravity pull you on both exercises, and go arms-paralell-only on the push... Generally, arms-out is easier than chickenwing pushups...

From my rather short experience, if it helps, good... If you've heard it, I didn't mean to be insulting... If you think it's BS, it probably is for you...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do more PT

good luck

+1!  I only struggle to max the run, push ups and sit ups are easy.  Im a high 14's runner though, and not getting any faster, just older.  I can max push ups and situps even if I dont do a push up or sit up over the course of 6 months or longer, but the run is always the killer for me.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Also close your eyes. The color of black or darker colors for some reason tells your brain to try harder. Don't know why but someone told me this in basic and it worked.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#10]
What I have been doing is 100 push ups a day, however I can.  The idea being to shrink the number of sets, from 20 to 10 to 5 to 4 to 3 etc.  To the point I'm doing the APFT 100 rating for a guy my age, which is 88 pushups.

Right now at 30 reps per set.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
For pushups, the NCO's are right and another point, don't stop, if you stop it's a lot harder to get going.  Start with regular push ups, then when you're tired do wide arms, that will allow you to do a coouple more.

For sit ups, do a lot more than sit ups for practice, side sit ups, leg raises, crunches, work your whole ab region.  I only do regular army sit ups about two weeks before a pt test.  And I can do 95 in two minutes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Two NCO's were discussing ways to max out their PT scores - when doing pushups, drop down and just use your muscles to push up.
Thanks

Hmmmm...just use your muscles eh?  what else could you have used?  your dick (it is not a muscle)?  get a woody and rise up?   please explain because I cannot see how you could ever do it without muscles...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#13]
More PT Drill Sgt. More PT
We like it, We love it
We want more of it
Make it hurt Drill Sgt. Make it hurt
Whooa!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]
do not hold your breath when you come up (either excercise) let your breath out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

Hmmmm...just use your muscles eh?  what else could you have used?  your dick (it is not a muscle)?  get a woody and rise up?   please explain because I cannot see how you could ever do it without muscles...

he means let gravity pull you down. try not being a cock and think about it for a second.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#16]
The best way to train for any activity is to train doing that activity.  If you want to do more pushups, do pushups as practice.  One important point to remember is that your body does need to rest in order to build muscle, so you don't need to do pushups "basic training style" (ie, every 45 minutes).  Do a good pushup workout that takes your pushups to failure, wait a couple days, and do the same workout, but hopefully with an extra rep at the end before failure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:30:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

he means let gravity pull you down. try not being a cock and think about it for a second.

well, apparently you cannot read....he says "just use your muscles to push up" - so would levitation or antigravity be the alternative?

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
He said "drop down and just use your muscles to push up".  Critical thinking might not be for you.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
He said "drop down and just use your muscles to push up".  Critical thinking might not be for you.  

sure, I know what he meant, but I am having fun picking it apart - the statement has an implied context (they way you are seeing it) and an actual context (the way it is written)....
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Muscle failure during training.  multiple sets.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sure, I know what he meant, but I am having fun picking it apart - the statement has an implied context (they way you are seeing it) and an actual context (the way it is written)....

greatness
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

Perhaps if I were to say that as "don't use muscles to lower yourself; save them only for pushing up."
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

Perhaps if I were to say that as "don't use muscles to lower yourself; save them only for pushing up."

Much better!!!  

(Now to pick this one apart!  ;)  j/k  )
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#24]
for pushups, try different arm positions.  As your triceps tire, move your arms more outward to work your shoulders and biceps.  Pushups are accomplished using several different muscle groups, and you can concentrate the work on each muscle group depending on body position.

Same goes for sit ups.  The more you bend your knees the closer you are to your thighs, thus less travel. When you are close, you use your legs more than your abs.  As you move out, your abs are dong more and more of the work.  I ususally start close and bang out as many as I can until my legs get tired, then I extend into ab land and squeeze out as many more as i can with the remaining time.

The run is all about conditioning.  The AF runs a 1.5 mile run.  I train running around 3 miles or more.  The key is to be able to maintain your test pace the whole duration of the LONG run.

Also, hydration and nutrition are CRITICAL!  Drink at least a quart of water right before going to bed the night before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top