Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Am I the only one who doesn't have or want a cell phone.  I can't stand the damn little things.  I really think they're a scourge of society.  When people have those things on there ears, they're completely oblivious to what's occuring around them.  And I haven't ruled out the fact that they cause brain cancer.

Same here, I really don't care enough about anyone to want to talk to them outside my house...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I  have 2 Cell phones (Private & Work issued).
I wish they were never invented!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't have one, don't want one, don't need one.

My home phone is solely for my convenience, "If I had wanted to talk to you I would have called you."  I screen all incoming calls, if you are not family, a close friend, or one of my troops I don't answer.

Technology is the bane of civilization, people spend more time on the net, in front of the tube, and less time doing things that matter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope. Don't have one, don't have a use for one and no desire to own one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't have a regular phone.

I only have a cell phone.

Four months and counting for me.  It is nice to not get anymore calls from telemarketers.

I use the cell phone 3 or 4 times as much as I used my landline.  Free long distance has a lot to do with that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Pagers are great, but celphones can't be beat for calling in assistence
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't have a regular phone.

I only have a cell phone.

this is the future

it's the land-line phones that are a fad.

land lines are a fad?

fad    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (fd) n.
A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

yes, a fad

look at the growth of cell vs, land line usage in the rest of the world.

Cell makes much more sense from an infrastructure standpoint. Just think of how stupid it is to have to manintain a physical line to every house in the nation.

50 years from now, land lines will only be used for businesses.... if at all. Homes will not be wired.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Am I the only one who doesn't have or want a cell phone.  I can't stand the damn little things.  I really think they're a scourge of society.  When people have those things on there ears, they're completely oblivious to what's occuring around them.  And I haven't ruled out the fact that they cause brain cancer.

I don't have one. I can count the number of times I'd have wanted one on one hand. YES, they'd be useful for emergencies, but I have been unable to find a phone that a) doesn't have some stinky contract, or 2) prepaid minutes that don't expire, and you don't have to add $10-15 a month to them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The wife and I have cell phones but we are the only ones who know the numbers and we rarely turn them on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Nope . The only reason I'd like one is for emergencies up in the hills then my kid told me they dont work up there anyway .
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope. I barely use my regular phone even.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just don't use telephones often enough to warrant the expense...

The web & e-mail are far cheaper & far more effective for my uses...

That, and there's no one I just HAVE to be able to talk to 24hrs a day... Anyone who just HAS to get in touch with me can send me an e-mail or leave a message...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I finally just got one this year. I leave it off mostly and use it only for emergencies.

+1 Pard
Kid
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't have one.  Don't want one.

Would get rid of the land line too if I could!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Just think of how stupid it is to have to manintain a physical line to every house in the nation.

wait till the world's 1 big cell tower forest.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It seems to be just a big fad to me anyway.

That's You! You are the guy when I'm in the checkout lane at my grocery store and he checks if his wife wants teh 'pons with wings or without.

Also, you are the one who almost blindsides me when pulling out in traffic when he should be paying attention to oncoming traffic.

And lastly, you are the one that seems inseparable to the gimmick you have attached to your ear, looking like you're important, checking if you have messages, and having all sorts of gay ass ring tones whilst in line before me at Subway.

BTW, when you were talking to whomever in line and in front of me and not paying attention, the guy building your sammich hocked last nights bongwater in your meatball sub. I gave him a $5 tip.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a cell & beeper in the Air Force.

Hated both.

Do not own one &  do not want one.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I only have it because work pays for it and need to be available 24/7.

The only reason I got a land phone is because of the Home Alarm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's You! You are the guy when I'm in the checkout lane at my grocery store and he checks if his wife wants teh 'pons with wings or without.

Also, you are the one who almost blindsides me when pulling out in traffic when he should be paying attention to oncoming traffic.

And lastly, you are the one that seems inseparable to the gimmick you have attached to your ear, looking like you're important, checking if you have messages, and having all sorts of gay ass ring tones whilst in line before me at Subway.

BTW, when you were talking to whomever in line and in front of me and not paying attention, the guy building your sammich hocked last nights bongwater in your meatball sub. I gave him a $5 tip.

gimmick?

yeah, like TV

Do you mow my lawn?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A cell phone is a luxury I choose not to afford.

I see all the sheeple with them and I wonder what they did before there were cell phones

From the looks of it, the drove straight and paid attention to what they were doing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I see all the sheeple with them and I wonder what they did before there were cell phones

funny story, a week or so ago I was at a stop sign late at night, the woman driving a vehicle that passed in front of us was talking on a cell phone, beyond that intersection within eye sight of that  some guy was walking back and forth on his porch talkin on a cell phone, hardly a few seconds passed that guy's house some guy was walking down the sidewalk talking on a cell phone........
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

funny story, a week or so ago I was at a stop sign late at night, the woman driving a vehicle that passed in front of us was talking on a cell phone, beyond that intersection within eye sight of that  some guy was walking back and forth on his porch talkin on a cell phone, hardly a few seconds passed that guy's house some guy was walking down the sidewalk talking on a cell phone........

do you not make it out of WVa much?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#24]
i see lots and lots of people commenting that 'cell phone users' are following a fad, are sheeple and are contributors to antenna towers.

A) im not following a fad.  i originally got it because i travel over 100 miles to work and back every day, sometimes at the most inconvienient times...

B) im far from being a sheep.  thats a good cop out buzzword for people who believe that they are living above the common folk.  got to love those 100% independant 'survivalists'...

C) they will have an antenna up whether i buy or use a cell phone or not.  they are used for alot more than just cell phone repeaters...

as far as why i have it now is because i run a small business in addition to my job and it allows me to take care of customers while im not busy at my primary vocation.  that and im the secretary for my sportsman's association so i can handle club business while businesses are open...

david
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gimmick?

yeah, like TV

Do you mow my lawn?

Just your wifes.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#26]
No cell phone here, and if I did get one I'd be off except for emergencies.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#27]
that's good for a noob.

stick around and I'll belittle you on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#28]
looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If  9-11 didn't prove to you that you should have a cell phone then you are an idiot.  I was in total denial until that day. Those HERO'S  on the plane that crashed in PA used the ultimate modern suvival tool...

the cell phone.  I had one within a week. It's just a tool like a firearm.

rj

RIGHT ON, brother. Speak it! Don't listen to the retards on this forum that want to sound like they're all cool and detached from modern society - they really sound like 82-year-old crab-ass fogies:

"Damn kids withya - ya damnable cellphones! Young whippasnappas, think y'all so smart!"

Jeeze, guys, grow up and learn how to live in the modern world. You dopes are posting on computers to an INTERNET NEWS GROUP, for God's sake!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
looking forward to it.

by the way, do you actually think that people on their cell phones are trying to look important?

Come join the rest of us in 1996

oh wait....it's 2006.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]

C) they will have an antenna up whether i buy or use a cell phone or not.  they are used for alot more than just cell phone repeaters...

but in my opinion it's another brick in the wall thing and all the towers are something I'm against enough that I would fell like a hypocrite if I had a cell phone. Maybe they're worse in hilly or mountainous areas where they have to have a lot more of them.

I also know it's not  just cell towers, for most of my life, and I'm 40, there was 1 antenna on top of the landmark mountain here, in recent years I've referred to the ridge up there as towerland. in the photo. Towers for everything.
The worst is the obnoxious strobes a lot of them have a night. They all really de value  the landscape here which to me has always been 1 of the best reasons for being here.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#32]

I make it into va. on a daily and nightly basis live on the border. In fact the border goes down the ridge of the mountain in the photo.
How come though, is it a lot worse everywhere else?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I have three cell phones and two pagers, none of which I really want.

I know it's going to be a bad fucking day when all five go off at once.

They are ALL work-related....not one was purchased by your's truly.

BC
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#34]
by the way, do you actually think that people on their cell phones are trying to look important?

many are.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If  9-11 didn't prove to you that you should have a cell phone then you are an idiot.  I was in total denial until that day. Those HERO'S  on the plane that crashed in PA used the ultimate modern suvival tool...

the cell phone.  I had one within a week. It's just a tool like a firearm.

rj

RIGHT ON, brother. Speak it! Don't listen to the retards on this forum that want to sound like they're all cool and detached from modern society - they really sound like 82-year-old crab-ass fogies:

"Damn kids withya - ya damnable cellphones! Young whippasnappas, think y'all so smart!"

Jeeze, guys, grow up and learn how to live in the modern world. You dopes are posting on computers to an INTERNET NEWS GROUP, for God's sake!

lmao..a tool just like a firearm. x2 @ modern survival tool.

We'll see how these "tools" treat us in the future.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I make it into va. on a daily and nightly basis live on the border. In fact the border goes down the ridge of the mountain in the photo. I was in 2 states making that photo.
How come though, is it a lot worse everywhere else?

You said it like cell phones were an unsual, recent invention.

That might have been odd to see more than a decade ago in most populated parts of the country.

Today, it might be unusual to see 3 people talking on Treos w/ bluetooth headsets.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#37]
RIGHT ON, brother. Speak it! Don't listen to the retards on this forum that want to sound like they're all cool and detached from modern society

it's not a matter of detached. I simply don't believe so many people could have to have people they have to be talking to so often in public. In my opinion such must have it now conveniences are a further softening of america type of thing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

many are.

how would that make you look important? You can get cell phones for free with a $29/mo plan.

They're not a status symbol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
looking forward to it.

oh wait....it's 2006.

Yes, I do. You're probably the poster boy of what I'm talking about.

Funny how 10 years makes a diff huh? You still rocking the mullet also I assume?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#40]
no it just seemed odd at the time.

Today, it might be unusual to see 3 people talking on Treos w/ bluetooth headsets.

but dare I question what treos with bluetooth headsets are?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
how would that make you look important? You can get cell phones for free with a $29/mo plan.

depnds on the setting and person in my opinion, not everyone of course. But many.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
looking forward to it.

oh wait....it's 2006.

www.mockia.com/brick.jpg

Funny how 10 years makes a diff huh? You still rocking the mullet also I assume?

I still have the briefcase model.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone really thinks that someone using a cell phone is trying to look important in 2006.

I suspect it's just among the cell phone antis.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Nope! Once my contract on my cell phone expired, I discontinued service. It became a friggin leash and there ARE times I don't want people to be able to contact me. If you can't get me at home, you don't need to get in touch with me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
looking forward to it.

oh wait....it's 2006.

www.mockia.com/brick.jpg

I still have the briefcase model.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone really thinks that someone using a cell phone is trying to look important in 2006.

I suspect it's just among the cell phone antis.

WTF do you really need a cell for though? If life is to busy, if your work can't seem to go on any further without you, and if your friends have to call you because you have " the plan" and its free, wth else do you need it for?  I don't even have a answering machine. And if a telemarketer calls, he get's the tactical airhorn. If life is that hectic, propose a group buy on Preparation H.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Got one, use it as much as a PDA as a phone. No landline, either. I do need to be in touch 24/7 all over the state for work. I'm at the same number all the time, no matter where or when, and so are most of my friends and co-workers.

I also like that with address books, I can call a person instead of having to remember or look up a number. My phone can also be set to accept calls only from certain people, a feature that occasionally comes in handy.

Then, there's the little calender and notepad, which are nice because I hate carrying around little slips of paper that I'll lose in 10 minutes. And the ability to do a quick e-mail check anywhere. And the little games. Yeah, I think cell phones are cool.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

WTF do you really need a cell for though? If life is to busy, if your work can't seem to go on any further without you, and if your friends have to call you because you have " the plan" and its free, wth else do you need it for?  I don't even have a answering machine. And if a telemarketer calls, he get's the tactical airhorn. If life is that hectic, propose a group buy on Preparation H.

I need a cell phone FAR more than I need a land line phone at home.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't have one.  The wife does, so when we're together, we do....and we're together a lot of the time.  Still, she uses it very little, about 40-50 min per month, max about 100 min.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#48]
+1

Hate the little phuquers. Had one for a year. Charged it once every 3 months. Averaged 1.67 minutes/month.  Ditched it when the service agreement expired and tossed it in the trash. It was a total waste of the $45/month * 12 months = $540. Could have had either my .45 ACP or 6.8 SPC upper for that much.

wganz

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#50]
I've had a cell for at least 6 years.  My first one was one of those huge black things.  It was the first model that was wireless.  I remember my dad had one of the ones that was wired into his truck.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top