Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:51:10 PM EDT
I just got a Razr from Cingular Wireless today, with our new contract (despite my best efforts to get my family to switch to Verizon). It was a little odd, because it was blue. You know, the dark blue. You know, the one they've only released in Canada for Rogers Wireless. This was a little odd, but kind of good, because my friends all have either black or silver razrs, and I didn't want to have to get the pink one to be different.

So I'm looking through the accessories that it comes with, and the charger has what appears to be a CEE 7/16 (European 2 pin) plug, coming an additional 2 inches off the wall wart. Oh, good, I think, an adaptor in case I need to go to Europe. However, all attempts to remove it prove fruitless. I rummage through the box and find the actual adaptor, which will allow this unusual plug to fit in the socket of the country in which it was sold. So now my charger hangs an additional 3" off the wall more than is necessary.

The information sheet on searching the phonebook is printed in four languages, which really isn't unusual, but the unusual thing is that instead of English, Spanish, German and French, the three languages I have thus far been able to identify are English, Thai, and Vietnamese. The fourth could be Tagalog, Finnish, or Esperanto, or perhaps Martian, or maybe just some garbage the writers threw together to fill space. A sample: "mencari entri buku telepon: untuk mengatur metode pencarian entri buku telepon, tekan..." and so on.

However, I'm pretty sure it's not made up, because the writers added more in my other documentation. A lot more. Half my manual, in fact. Well, a little more than half, because this odd language takes up more space than good old English. In fact, for all I know, that section might not be the Martian version of the manual, it might be advanced instructions for, say, managing to get a signal instead of spending your time shouting at the phone. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it isn't Canadian.

So, long story short, I'm pretty sure that my local Cingular store got a shipment of Razrs bound for some godforsaken country where the inhabitants manage to speak Thai, Vietnamese, English, and Crazy S.O.B. all at once. At least the phone works fine and is in English, not Tongues.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A900 > RAZR
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#2]
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187512,00.html

Maybe this has something to do with it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
may of been a bad day to buy a RAZR

Cingular, T-Mobile Halt Razr Phone Sales

NEW YORK — Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile USA have temporarily stopped selling the Razr, Motorola Inc.'s (MOT) flagship cell phone, due to a technical glitch that causes the phone to drop calls or shut down, the companies said on Friday.

eta- min late on the post
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Maybe this has something to do with it?

Given as the phone works fine (so far), it just seems to be the bastard child of a European and South Pacific shipment, probably not.

ETA: It's also a HELL of a lot easier to tote around than the brick I was carrying before: Nokia N-Gage QD, the biggest cell phone still on the market that I know of.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just got a Razr from Cingular Wireless today, with our new contract (despite my best efforts to get my family to switch to Verizon). It was a little odd, because it was blue. You know, the dark blue. You know, the one they've only released in Canada for Rogers Wireless. This was a little odd, but kind of good, because my friends all have either black or silver razrs, and I didn't want to have to get the pink one to be different.

So I'm looking through the accessories that it comes with, and the charger has what appears to be a CEE 7/16 (European 2 pin) plug, coming an additional 2 inches off the wall wart. Oh, good, I think, an adaptor in case I need to go to Europe. However, all attempts to remove it prove fruitless. I rummage through the box and find the actual adaptor, which will allow this unusual plug to fit in the socket of the country in which it was sold. So now my charger hangs an additional 3" off the wall more than is necessary.

The information sheet on searching the phonebook is printed in four languages, which really isn't unusual, but the unusual thing is that instead of English, Spanish, German and French, the three languages I have thus far been able to identify are English, Thai, and Vietnamese. The fourth could be Tagalog, Finnish, or Esperanto, or perhaps Martian, or maybe just some garbage the writers threw together to fill space. A sample: "mencari entri buku telepon: untuk mengatur metode pencarian entri buku telepon, tekan..." and so on.

However, I'm pretty sure it's not made up, because the writers added more in my other documentation. A lot more. Half my manual, in fact. Well, a little more than half, because this odd language takes up more space than good old English. In fact, for all I know, that section might not be the Martian version of the manual, it might be advanced instructions for, say, managing to get a signal instead of spending your time shouting at the phone. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it isn't Canadian.

So, long story short, I'm pretty sure that my local Cingular store got a shipment of Razrs bound for some godforsaken country where the inhabitants manage to speak Thai, Vietnamese, English, and Crazy S.O.B. all at once. At least the phone works fine and is in English, not Tongues.

Oh, by the way...that says..."You stupid ass, you live in some godforsaken country with no fucking power...why did you buy a cell phone."
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mine for about a year with no problems

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like your mystery language is Malay.....for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You should peel the blue stuff off the motorola logo on the screen-part of your phone. It's just plastic wrap, like your phone came covered in.

WTH kind of gun is that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NEW YORK — Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile USA have temporarily stopped selling the Razr, Motorola Inc.'s (MOT) flagship cell phone, due to a technical glitch that causes the phone to drop calls or shut down, the companies said on Friday.

The problem only effects a particular production run, since late January, and about 20% of the effected models may exhibit symptoms of the problem.  I doubt this apparently foreign market phone will be effected.  Would be interesting to know how they got that phone.  Does it show the cingular info on power up?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

www.supercharger.net/pictures/wwv3-2.jpg

What kind of pistol is that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You should peel the blue stuff off the motorola logo on the screen-part of your phone. It's just plastic wrap, like your phone came covered in.

WTH kind of gun is that?

The picture is from when the phone was new; it's not anymore.

The gun is an Olympic Arms reproduction of the 1950's Whitney Wolverine 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem only effects a particular production run, since late January, and about 20% of the effected models may exhibit symptoms of the problem.  I doubt this apparently foreign market phone will be effected.  Would be interesting to know how they got that phone.  Does it show the cingular info on power up?

Yep. Cingular info on power up, Cingular logo in the tiny screen on the back of the big screen when the phone is open, cingular info everywhere on the phone.

Goddammit, those cingular suckas better not tell me I'm not supposed to have this phone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a Razr last week and I like it. Not a single dropped call so far.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTH kind of gun is that?

The picture is from when the phone was new; it's not anymore.

The gun is an Olympic Arms reproduction of the 1950's Whitney Wolverine 22 pistol.

So what do you think of it? Reliable? Accurate? Caliber? (S,L,LR)

Need more info, its kinda a cool lookin pistol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Unlocked Treo 650 > *

Had a Razr, gave it to my girlfriend, she has ZERO problems. Excellent phone, phone.

I just need more capabilities.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate cell phones.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry my phone in my pocket most all the time. A friend of a friend sat down for lunch the other day and I heard a crack. He looked at me like "what the hell was that?" I told him I thought it came from him, and he reached in his pocket and pulled out his broken razr. It cracked the display, keys, the whole shebang. Don't leave it in your pocket. I guess my brick X427 will have to do. Cool looking phone though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it some weird gray market phone perhaps?  I got a Sony Ericsson T68 from a somewhat shady t-moble shop a few years ago that had Chinese characters on the buttons.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#19]
The friend of yours must wear some tight pants, because I kept mine in my front pocket constantly. Not a problem.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait, let's review this.

-The particular phone is ONLY sold in any official capacity by Rogers Wireless in Canada.

-The documentation is in Thai, English, Vietnamese, and possibly Malay, and refers to being printed in Singapore, suggesting a Pacific Asian destination.

-The power plug on the charger is type CEE 7/16, used in most of Europe except Great Britain and countries formerly under her domain.

-The phone works on United States GSM networks.

I think that probably makes it pretty close to unique here in the US. I've never heard of anything quite like this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The mystery language looks more like Indonesian to me.  Singapore is just north of Indonesia and has ferry service there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So what do you think of it? Reliable? Accurate? Caliber? (S,L,LR)

Need more info, its kinda a cool lookin pistol.

Reliable, reasonably accurate; it's an inexpensive (~$240) plinker.

I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so I can't attest to long term reliability.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I only buy tri-mode phones.    
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Did your RAZR ship with the Motorola Mobile Phone Tools program on CD?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Be careful with them, they are more fragile than the usual mobile phone.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:46:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Did your RAZR ship with the Motorola Mobile Phone Tools program on CD?

Nope. I tried to download it from the Motorola website, but their downloads section isn't working.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, never mind, they charge for it, so I'm acquiring it from COMPLETELY LEGAL AND LEGITIMATE SOURCES.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yeah, they are really delicate POSes aren't they?  Bullshit, I have dropped mine into a snowbank, onto concrete, onto the floor from standing height while open, carried it in my pocket exclusively, and it shows no signs of distress.  In fact I would venture to say they are one of the toughest mainstream phones out there, as long as you don't sit on them or run them over with a truck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well, never mind, they charge for it, so I'm acquiring it from COMPLETELY LEGAL AND LEGITIMATE SOURCES.

Considering that Motorola intended this phone to ship with that program, I doubt finding your "lost" copy would constitute a crime.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#31]
My cell phone is in all sorts of funky asian languages as well (but english works just fine).  When I bought it I was lookign to the the RAZR, but decided since everyone has them I'd buy something newer, so I looked at the SLVR, but again it was basically just the RAZR, only flat.  
So I ordered a Sony Ericsson K750i from malaysia (they dont really sell them here). I've been looking for a way to upgrade the firmware on the phone to get rid of the other languages... I dont really plan on learning how to communicate with everyone in asia anytime soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Hmmm. I just purchased one and I've dropped it on concrete twice. No problems other than some very,very minor dings. The drop both times was from about 3.5 feet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

www.supercharger.net/pictures/wwv3-2.jpg

I thought that gun said "Whitey".
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got a Verizon version of the RAZR phone and it has worked great for me for about 3 months now. It works great with my Bluetooth adapter and haven't lost any calls to date. I really do like the phone!

It's funny the article doesn't mention Verizon and their selling of the RAZR, only T-Mobile and Cingular
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've got a Verizon version of the RAZR phone and it has worked great for me for about 3 months now. It works great with my Bluetooth adapter and haven't lost any calls to date. I really do like the phone!

It's funny the article doesn't mention Verizon and their selling of the RAZR, only T-Mobile and Cingular

Verizon sells a different (and upgraded) model, the V3c.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#36]
It is a Euro packaged model.  Mine came with the Euro power supply and a Euro to US adapter.  The box said Swedish on the label but it  works fine and isn't restricted to just Cingular.   Mine came with the software tho.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Verizon sells a different (and upgraded) model, the V3c.

Actually, they sell a US only CDMA model that is crippled and lacks many of the best features of the normal GSM models.  My razr worked great all over Europe last week, lets see a CDMA phone do that.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I got a black RAZR 2 weeks ago. I like it much better than the POS Sony Ericcson z500a. The Sony was a huge turd. I took it back and got another, 3 weeks later same problems. The missus is beginning to have problems with her Sony.
My RAZR didn't come with the tools disk. I need to go back and ask for it.

Maybe I should try that. You think they're likely to have an extra copy sitting around?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#41]
They say the phone doesn't come packaged with it, and showed me another box to demonstrate.

Nuts.

At least I already had the USB cable, but it's kind of useless without the phone tools to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
They say the phone doesn't come packaged with it, and showed me another box to demonstrate.

Nuts.

At least I already had the USB cable, but it's kind of useless without the phone tools to go with it.

I bought a download off of ebay, with a license that linked back to the manufacturer's site, for something like $5.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they are really delicate POSes aren't they?  Bullshit, I have dropped mine into a snowbank, onto concrete, onto the floor from standing height while open, carried it in my pocket exclusively, and it shows no signs of distress.  In fact I would venture to say they are one of the toughest mainstream phones out there, as long as you don't sit on them or run them over with a truck.

+1

Mine is the most sturdy feeling phone I've had, and it's survived more than it's fair share of droppings.  Plus it gets banged around in my pocket at work all day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top