Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 7:53:32 AM EDT
OH, For Fuck's sake!!

www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=4605380

Dozens of Central Texas drivers got pulled over Thursday for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Travis County deputies kicked off what has become a controversial reward program.

You know that heart stopping feeling you get when seeing the flashing red lights of law enforcement in the rear view mirror.

Well, you won't see that if you're a good driver, but you may get pulled over.

Getting pulled over for doing nothing wrong may not sound right to a lot of people.

Travis County Deputy Derrick Taylor says his job is to not only look for bad drivers, but reward and encourage friendly drivers.

"The big cargo truck that was in front of you and you allowed to get in front of you, that was a very nice thing you did and because it was a safe thing, we want to reward you with a Round Rock express baseball tickets," Taylor tells a good driver.

Free baseball tickets for good drivers - some like it and don't mind being pulled over like Erin.

"I was really surprised, but it's cool though. I thought I was like in trouble so a little nerve racking," driver Erin Baker said.

That's the problem with other drivers saying it's an inconvenience.

Deputy Taylor says they're not trying to scare anyone. Deputies will simply wave to good drivers and politely ask them to pull over to the side.

"What I'm trying to focus on and the only thing I'm trying to focus on is rewarding someone for good driving. There are going to be some people who are not going to like it cause the only experience they have with law enforcement is negative," Taylor said.

Drivers like Erin say they'll take this ticket over a traffic ticket any day.

"Yeah, I will probably go with my boyfriend or something," Baker said.

This program will last until this weekend, and it stems from one that worked well some 20 years ago except deputies were handing out money -- up to $50.

No one complained then until the money ran out.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't want to sound like a JBT basher or a tin foil hat person, but I have a feeling that this is just another way they can "interact" with you.  I'll pass.

I would be a lot happier if they would just stay the fuck away from me altogether.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Fishing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't want to sound like a JBT basher or a tin foil hat person, but I have a feeling that this is just another way they can "interact" with you.  I'll pass.

I would be a lot happier if they would just stay the fuck away from me altogether.

Ill agree.  What if after they pull you over for being good, BAM, they see somthing they otherwise never would have known about and now you get nailed.

No Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#4]
"Am I under arrest?"
"Am I free to leave?"
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Fishing.

Bullshit.

Waste of my time.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Good idea, but get the plate number , write a note , attach $5 McDonalds gift certificate, and MAIL IT TO ME .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Were I to be pulled over for such arrant nonsense, I would be pissed a hundred ways 'til Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd be pissed if they did that to me.

Too bad somebody doesn't freak out and try to get away, resulting in a state-wide police chase. When they finally pull him over, or he crashes, it turns out he did NOTHING wrong. He "ran" because he has seen this on TV so many times, and he was just conditioned to react. Or, he just wanted to be on TV.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Fishing.

Expedition!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Our local, (small town), force tried to do the same thing here until every man and his dog shot it down.  No-one wanted to be stopped randomly for any reason, they ended up doing the mail you a local vendor coupon thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure some baseball tickets are worth the year of my life I just lost due to the stress of being pulled over. It is a nice gesture but don't waste my time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was pulled over recently (and cited for speeding), I would have appreciated a certificate for a free run down the track at Milan.

(Hey, it would have made sense)
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]

The cops just keep getting better don't they? In addition to all the JBT behavior, there seems to be an increase in the bizarre shit like this. Weird.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If I don't pull over when they try to stop me for good driving are they going to put out spike strips and shoot me when they say "get up" and I get up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#16]
They need to find something better to do.

I would not want to be stopped for this BS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
while they're at it, why not go door to door and pass out cookies to people for 'not going to jail' or 'taking care of their kids' or other things that people ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#18]
i'd rather get a find than fucking basketball tickets.

i hate basketball
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Not to mention that it's playing hell with traffic.  Everyone slows down to see the idiot that got pulled over!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill agree.  What if after they pull you over for being good, BAM, they see somthing they otherwise never would have known about and now you get nailed.

No Thanks.

I agree.This could be an excuse for:"Here are you tickets to a ball game for being a good driver",and "these are tickets for your registration and inspection being expired."

Exactly.  Though it seems that any decent lawyer could get that thrown out as an illegal search since they had no probable cause to stop you in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Can you imagine getting pulled over for a "atta boy" and then having it turn into a fiasco because you are CCW'ing?
It's not that great a stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Were I to be pulled over for such arrant nonsense, I would be pissed a hundred ways 'til Sunday.

+1

Me too.

Just because the police officer has TIME to pull me over (it's his job after all) doesn't mean that I'm not on my way to an important meeting or something, or running late on my way to the airport or whatever.

It may be well-intentioned, but it's a stupid idea.

(Plus, lots of people hate baseball - there shuld at least be a choice of three "prizes" or something - like baseball tickets, a stuffed animal, or getting to fire his gun in the air )

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i hate basketball

It's 'fine' not 'find', and it's 'baseball' tickets, not 'basketball'.
Take a break...would ya!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Unlawful arrest, anyone?  If it isn't, it should be.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#25]
If they have nothing better to do, Im not opposed to the mailing you a coupon or certificate or such.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Unlawful arrest, anyone?  If it isn't, it should be.

At best, it would be detention.  And if you asked the officer if you could leave, and he said "yes" even that would be a hard case to make.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Usually, I'm one of the guys on this board that would be referred to as the JBT apologist. With that said, this shit is fucking crazy! I would have a Goddamn shitfit if I got pulled over for absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i hate basketball

It's 'fine' not 'find', and it's 'baseball' tickets, not 'basketball'.
Take a break...would ya!

Not sleeping for a week is bad for your health.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If they have nothing better to do, Im not opposed to the mailing you a coupon or certificate or such.  

There's always something better to do.

Pull out that warrant list and start there. That's what I did on slow days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:42:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Me too.

Just because the police officer has TIME to pull me over (it's his job after all) doesn't mean that I'm not on my way to an important meeting or something, or running late on my way to the airport or whatever.

It may be well-intentioned, but it's a stupid idea.

(Plus, lots of people hate baseball - there shuld at least be a choice of three "prizes" or something - like baseball tickets, a stuffed animal, or getting to fire his gun in the air  write him a ticket for stupidity. )

There fixed it for you.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Hmm...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's always something better to do.

Pull out that warrant list and start there. That's what I did on slow days.

You must have been a damn good cop.
Good on you bama.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#33]
It's a bullshit reason to pull someone over and look for shit.

They used to have a good driver program in Illinois. After x number of years without a mover, they would mail you a 'good driver' certificate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top