Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:22:31 PM EDT
I know this seems stupid but an ARF buddy and I were talking about it and could not decide on what it really is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that nobody talks about guns here anyomore but come on.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
A carbine as a gun in the 40 watt range. give or take 2.5w.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know that nobody talks about guns here anyomore but come on.

There are forums on this board (or boards on this forum) dedicated to guns...perhaps you'd have better luck in 'the armory'.

If 'carbine williams' was available on DVD, I'd recommend you watch that. But it isn't, so I won't.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
87 Feet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I had hoped for an actual answer but I must have come to wrong place.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know this seems stupid but an ARF buddy and I were talking about it and could not decide on what it really is.

A short rifle, is the short answer.

And the correct one, be it .45-70 Springfield "Trapdoor" Carbine or .30 Carbine or M4A2 Carbine.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
M4A2 Carbine.

If you believe there is such a thing as an M4A2, I've a unicorn to sell you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
A rifle under 42 inches in length
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A short rifle, is the short answer.

And the correct one, be it .45-70 Springfield "Trapdoor" Carbine or .30 Carbine or M4A2 Carbine.

I always thought that, but is a ruger 10/22 or a Rem 700 pss a carbine or is it just a rifle that was first designed to full size and later made in a shortened version?
BTW it's past my bed time so I won't check again until the morning.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Basically either:

A. A rifle that shoots a pistol cartridge, or

B.  A relatively short, lightweight rifle firing a smaller rifle cartridge.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well I had hoped for an actual answer but I must have come to wrong place.

There is really no good way to define a carbine. Obviously it is a "short rifle", but over the years what is considered a "full-size rifle" has shrunk from a 5' long musket to a 20" barreled M16A1. Carbines, of course, have become correspondingly shorter.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Now there's a rock solid answer, if it's true.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is an M16A1/A2 a "carbine" then?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I've come to understand... originally, a Carbine was any weapon that was designed to be fired while riding on a horse.  This of course, was way back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Pronunciation: 'kär-"bEn, -"bIn
Function: noun
Etymology: French carabine, from Middle French carabin carabineer
1 : a short-barreled lightweight firearm orig. used by cavalry
2 : a light short-barreled repeating rifle that is used as a supplementary military arm or for hunting in dense brush
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Que?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is an M16A1/A2 a "carbine" then?

Technically, I guess it could be, but then they wouldn't have a market for the M4
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4A2 Carbine.

Bushmaster 16" M4 A2 .223 Carbine

Item#Bush-BCWA2F16M4
The Bushmaster M4 A2 Type Carbines combine light weight with plenty of .223 caliber firepower. The chrome lined barrel offers maximum longevity and accuracy. A telescoping buttstock brings light weight, ease of carrying and quick handling. Forged, lightweight 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receivers are designed for simplicity of maintenance and reliability of operation. They incorporate all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection. A mil. spec. Manganese phosphate outer coating insures complete protection against corrosion or rust on the barrel and all other critical steel parts of the weapon. Carbine includes a permanently installed Bushmaster A2 Flash Suppressor and is shipped in a Bushmaster hard plastic, lockable storage case complete with Black Web Sling, 30 Round Magazine, Operating and Safety Instruction Manual and One Year Warranty.

To Order please call Toll Free, 888-748-5252  

Price:   $809.95

Do I have to tell you where you can stick your Unicorn?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4A2 Carbine.

Item#Bush-BCWA2F16M4
The Bushmaster M4 A2 Type Carbines combine light weight with plenty of .223 caliber firepower. The chrome lined barrel offers maximum longevity and accuracy. A telescoping buttstock brings light weight, ease of carrying and quick handling. Forged, lightweight 7075T6 aircraft quality aluminum receivers are designed for simplicity of maintenance and reliability of operation. They incorporate all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection. A mil. spec. Manganese phosphate outer coating insures complete protection against corrosion or rust on the barrel and all other critical steel parts of the weapon. Carbine includes a permanently installed Bushmaster A2 Flash Suppressor and is shipped in a Bushmaster hard plastic, lockable storage case complete with Black Web Sling, 30 Round Magazine, Operating and Safety Instruction Manual and One Year Warranty.

Bushy calling it that doesn't make it exsist, military only goes to M4A1.  The commericial market is flooded with BS designations that the .mil doesn't use.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4A2 Carbine.

Item#Bush-BCWA2F16M4

Bushy calling it that doesn't make it exsist, military only goes to M4A1.  The commericial market is flooded with BS designations that the .mil doesn't use.

Looks real to me, full auto, for police and military sale only.....It exist, I could give a shit what is or is not "official military".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4A2 Carbine.

Item#Bush-BCWA2F16M4

not the point if the military named it or not, there is one

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Does that M4A2 come with this Colt stamp?

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

www.the-wood.com/photos/patterns/animal/unicorn-03.jpg

Maybe it should...

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

www.the-wood.com/photos/patterns/animal/unicorn-03.jpg

You've given me an idea!

Maybe I'll use that on my next AR project, M4A2 with a Prancing Unicorn......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have had firearms for about the last 45 years and had no idea that the military had to give the official name to the guns I carry. I guess there is always something to learn. How silly of Bushmaster to name their own guns without the approval of the federal government. I wonder what the military says about my RRA LAR-15?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

By your logic the HK91 and the HK91A3 (the carbine) don't exist because neither is a military designation.

Bushmaster's M4A2 is indeed a carbine form of an M16.  Deal with it or us semantics nazi's will get ever more beligerant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I always thought of a carbine as a shorter form of an already existing rifle.

i.e. - Take a Mosin-Nagant 1891-30 and chop the barrel down, voila, M38. Same thing with the M16A2/A4 Service Rifle and the M4 Carbine. Shorten the barrel, make the weapon handier (sp?) by changing to a collapsable stock and you have a carbine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:48:15 AM EDT
[#29]
The more important question is whether or not you can make hamburgers from ground beef?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The more important question is whether or not you can make hamburgers from ground beef?

You can do that!?!?!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do that!?!?!  

No...

He's just joshing you.  He's praying on the young, naive minds of today's adults.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Wait, wait, lemme see here. I gotta think about this...

If commercially designated weapons don't exist, then the AR15 doesn't exist. Now if the AR15 doesn't exist, then AR15.com can't exist. Which means I can't be typing this right now. So none of this is real. It was all just a fabrication of a false consiousness based on an untruth of weapon designations. But now if the wepaon isn't real, the site isn't real, and what I'm doing right now isn't real, then what about m *blip*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top