Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 10:24:00 AM EDT
What does MOLON LABE Mean?  Sorry need to know over 500 posts and I have no idea what it means
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Ancient Greek for "Come get them"

The Spartan king's response to Xerxes at Thermopalye pass. 300 Spartans held off hundreds of thousands of Persian troops in the greatest stand in military history. The Persian king, seeing that he vastly outnumbered the Spartans, offered a guarantee of safety if the Spartan king and his troops would surrender their arms and come peacefully. The Spartan king's response was "Molon Labe" or "Come and get them!"  It was an act that made Western civilization possible....

www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Moo-lohn lah-veh; Greek interpretive meaning is "come and get them"
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_I
www.thefiringline.com/HCI/molon_labe.htm

Xerxes army, depending on source quoted, was between 600,000 and 2 million.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MOLON+LABE&btnG=Google+Search

First listing.

+1

Can nobody trouble themselves to use Google anymore? It's easy. It's the best... Geez. Between Google, dictionary.com and Topix.net, I think you have everything covered...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I thought it might be a ARFCOM term?  It did look like ancient greek, but there are so many made of words or terms out there today that I wanted dto make sure first.  All responders thank you for posting now I know what it means and I have more stuff to read I love to read probally one of the few when I am in the field I take 2 books with me uselly finish one and started the second by the end of the week.  My Bachlor's is in History and I did have a paper on Thermopalye .  My professor made me read it to the class because I was the only one that did a military theme for my final paper almost everyone did a cultural or greek religion themed paper.  I got an A in the class but the reason why he made me read it was because he had been trying to get people to believe that there are some things worth fighting for.  The ironic thing is it was one of my days back in ROTC that I was in uniform.  All thanks again.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
....................AS opposed to "Molon Labia" which  means "Come between them".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
All of you are fools.

It's easily translated into.

"Send your firearms to Triumph955i, 7 years after the turn of the millenium."

Oh,,Gee. Looks like that's comming up soon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MOLON+LABE&btnG=Google+Search

First listing.

+1

Can nobody trouble themselves to use Google anymore? It's easy. It's the best... Geez. Between Google, dictionary.com and Topix.net, I think you have everything covered...

I used to say that...but it's okay, people asking questions stirrs debate and other conversations...google has the answers, sure, but let people talk and ask questions. Just something I learned this year after always telling people to just use google etc...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All of you are fools.

It's easily translated into.

"Send your firearms to Triumph955i, 7 years after the turn of the millenium."

Oh,,Gee. Looks like that's comming up soon.

I used to own a Tiger 955i. Great bike, great engine....until some moron drove in front of me and wrote me and my bike off last march. My wrist is just about recovered now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top