Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Wife drives an 02' Tahoe and I drive an 02' Tacoma 4 door.
We get about the same mileage.  You may want to consider the small Taco (2 door) w/ 4 banger if you want to see gas mileage increase.  Otherwise keep your Truck
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
All your Top of Page are belong to me
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Your gas mileage won't change much, but the Toyota is the better product.  I have a  couple Toyota products and they are outstanding.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
$150 a month is a lot of gas?

I drive a 21 mpg Ford Ranger pretty regularly and I spend close to that.

Work more hours or get a better job.

Anyone that would work more hours for the sole purpose of gassing up the truck needs to have their head examined.

Anyone who'd sell their truck and buy a different one because $150 a month is a lot to pay for gas needs their head examined, too.

I don't know what you are talking about but I am selling the truck because I want more extra money, if you read the original post it was to that effect. I can afford the truck as well as anything else I want but my goal now is to save all the money I can. Buying a cheaper truck with a lower payment is a good way to do that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, unless you had a hell of a trade-in or you put down a ton of cash I'm guessing your upside down on you current vehicle loan. Trading in a 1 year old vehicle that you're upside down on is generally considered to be a bad financial move. A Tacoma is a great vehicle. I own a 2005 4 door 4x4. Again great truck, but how do you figure making a financial move like this is going to save you money?

Only in America can people actually believe to solve a $100 per month gas problem it makes sense to spend $25,000. If you want a new truck man up and tell the world you want a new truck. No need to hide behind higher than normal fuel prices.

Just remember, having debt is not the answer. Having debt makes you a slave to the machine and once the machine owns you it won't let go very easily. Keep you current vehicle, hell keep it for another 10 years. That last 5 years without payments will the the best 5 years of your life.

I bought the truck brand new and yes I had a hell of a down payment, and my current line of work allows me to make payments double what the minimum is when I want to. I try not to respond to people like you who get off by spouting off on the Internet about stupid shit, but it is not really any of your concern what I do with my truck or my money. And once again if some of you would read the original post you would see it is not for gas I am going to buy another truck so how much will I save in gas anyways. I want a lower payment because I want to save more money, I am not losing a dime by selling the truck , but I will gain a lower payment. Selling a one year old truck for most people would be a dumb thing but I am single and I have plenty of extra money i just want more extra so I can invest more. A slave to the machine? been in any drum circles lately?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just rolled over 85,000 miles on my '03 Tacoma.  I traded in my '99 Silverado for it.  On gas the Tacoma is marginally better than a fullsize chevy V8.  I get about 18-20MPG in my V6.  Why not buy a used Tacoma.  No one says you have to buy a new truck.

I am buying a used one,

here is part of the original post "Tacomas and want to know what MPG is like in the 4 door 2wd versions 02-04".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
About to buy a different truck right now I have an 05 GMC Z71 extended cab with 14k on it but $150 dollars in gas a month plus school loans plus rent plus gun hobby equals no a lot of extra cash. So I have been looking at Tacomas and want to know what MPG is like in the 4 door 2wd versions 02-04, and what the general opinion of them are.

If you need to spend less on gas, it doesn't matter whether you get a Japanese or American truck. A comparable Toyota will use as much gas. You are going to have to get a smaller vehicle with a smaller engine if you want better fuel efficiency.

I just wanted to know what the gas mileage was like I know it is not going to be much better since it is a truck. I just like tacomas and they come with lower payments.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#8]
You live in GA, where the vehicles don't rust out (salt). ......................hunt the classified ads for a good used truck.

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You live in GA, where the vehicles don't rust out (salt). ......................hunt the classified ads for a good used truck.

vmax84

Yeah the autotrader is always helpful to.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]
18mpg around town and 22 (highest was 24) highway around 65mph.  At 75mph I'm pulling around 2900 revs.  00' extended cab 4x4 has the 3.4L and 4:10 gears which hurts the highway MPG, IMO. 100k on the clock and is as strong as the day I bought it, had to replace the O2 sensor and change the oil religiously.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just rolled over 85,000 miles on my '03 Tacoma.  I traded in my '99 Silverado for it.  On gas the Tacoma is marginally better than a fullsize chevy V8.  I get about 18-20MPG in my V6.  Why not buy a used Tacoma.  No one says you have to buy a new truck.

I am buying a used one,

here is part of the original post "Tacomas and want to know what MPG is like in the 4 door 2wd versions 02-04".

Oops
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I was in the auto business for a time and you will get so slammed on the trade in especially on a truck. Expect to take a 5 to 7,000 dollar loss on the trade in depending on where you live. The Taccoma is a great ride and xtrea,ly dependable but the loss will be too great on your current ride to recover. A few less beers and a few more work hours will help you cover the fuel cost. He hit up your freeloading friends when it comes to rides home for some cash. The value estimators like NADA and Blue Book can't even keep up with the depreciation many SUV and truck owners are facing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I like mine. It's a 2000 V6 4x4, auto trans, extended cab. I'm getting 18-20 MPG depending on how fast it's driven. There's only been a couple of minor glitches along the way to it's current 105 K miles.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I had a 1988 Toyota truck, sold it to a kid down the street. It had 250K on it, that was two years ago and he is still driving it.

Now I have a 04 Taco reg cab 4X4, love it,  great truck.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 1994 Toyota P/U, ext cab 2WD (one year pre tacoma).  Working on 170k miles.  Couple of batteries, couple of brake pad replacements and tires.  Oh, a new muffler.  Keeps on ticking.  If I remember, it gets around 25mpg average.  I'd love a new big fancy truck, but it just seems like such a stupid move financially that I keep driving it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:22:04 AM EDT
[#16]
love my 2005 taco crew cab offroad. Flat out the best p'up i've owned. Had a 01' GMC sierra 1500 I traded in... Getting SLIGHTLY better gase mileage but its worth it since I went from a reg. cab to the crew cab. I couldnt' be happier with the taco though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top