Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:29:09 PM EDT
This is driving me nuts.  I've been playing around with VPN on 2003 server and this has me stumped.  Everytime I enable VPN on the server I lose internet connectivity.  I know it has something to do with the routing or something along that line but dont know where to go with it.  

I currently have Linksys router that everything is connected to.  The server is hard wired to the router and the server only has the one NIC.  Anyone have a quick fix?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean "VPN"?  Do you mean when you start Routing and Remote Services it dies? Or do you mean if you dial and establish a PPTP connection it dies?

IF the former, then there's something broken in Routing and Remote Access configuration, and i don't know off of the top of my head what exactly could cause that.  If it's the latter, make sure you uncheck the "use default gateway" box under advanced TCP/IP properties for that connection.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What do you mean "VPN"?  Do you mean when you start Routing and Remote Services it dies? Or do you mean if you dial and establish a PPTP connection it dies?

IF the former, then there's something broken in Routing and Remote Access configuration, and i don't know off of the top of my head what exactly could cause that.  If it's the latter, make sure you uncheck the "use default gateway" box under advanced TCP/IP properties for that connection.

Sorry I should have been more clear.  When I start Routing and Remote Access I cannot browse the internet from the server.  I can connect to the server from another machine but once again I get no internet connection their either.  My main concern right now is now internet on the server.  I think one will solve the other.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
When setting it up be sure that in the screne where you choose what network adapter to use you uncheck the box below it. By default server 2k3 blocks all non vpn traffic on the network adaptor used for the connection.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Is you computer the DNS or is the router serving DNS? Most times to get a VPN in, you have to have the router set not to be a DNS.

Go to the MS website and search 'setting up VPN'. There are tons of articles for every problem that could remotely (no pun intended) happen.

ETA: get a second NIC card!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When setting it up be sure that in the screne where you choose what network adapter to use you uncheck the box below it. By default server 2k3 blocks all non vpn traffic on the network adaptor used for the connection.

I'll go back and install again.  I installed with NAT this time and the internet works but I dont have access to local resources.  I'm wondering if things would be easier on the internal side if I setup a domain instead of workgroup.  I dont really want to do that because this is a demo copy of server.  One day when I get rish I will buy a copy
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help thus far guys.  Between installing NAT and unchecking the box that Erik spoke of I now have internet on the server and internet on the client when I connect.  Now I just need to figure out how to get access to the files in the shared folders also located on the same server that remote access is running on.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll go back and install again.  I installed with NAT this time and the internet works but I dont have access to local resources.  I'm wondering if things would be easier on the internal side if I setup a domain instead of workgroup.  I dont really want to do that because this is a demo copy of server.  One day when I get rish I will buy a copy

I have a full retail version of SBS 2003 Premium w / SQL Server and 5 CALS I need to sell. Make me an offer. It's on Ebay right now...but I'd rather a gun head got it!

ETA: New in Box
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a full retail version of SBS 2003 Premium w / SQL Server and 5 CALS I need to sell. Make me an offer. It's on Ebay right now...but I'd rather a gun head got it!

ETA: New in Box

To be honest I'm not even sure what something like that is selling for.  I will have to do some digging around.  Would you mind shooting me a pm with an idea of what you are looking for?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a bit of an update.  I am able to see the server when I look at all workgroup computers but when I try to access the server I get a message saying \\srv### is unavailable. You may not have permission to use this network resource......

My login and password on my local machine and the server are the same but I know that shouldnt make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a bit of an update.  I am able to see the server when I look at all workgroup computers but when I try to access the server I get a message saying \\srv### is unavailable. You may not have permission to use this network resource......

My login and password on my local machine and the server are the same but I know that shouldnt make a difference.

You need to set permissions in Active Directory. The Server Configuration screen is really handy in setting up all the parameters.

Gotta go to bed. I just sent you an IM. Good night.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to set permissions in Active Directory. The Server Configuration screen is really handy in setting up all the parameters.

If this server isnt part of a domain would active directory be installed?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, AD is the basis of the OS.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, AD is the basis of the OS.

Sorry, I didnt catch that.  I will see if I can get that setup.  Can that be setup in a workgroup environment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top