Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:23:34 PM EDT
Today I must have received six separate emails regarding a "new name added to my PayPal account." For the record, today's new name on that account is Mike82@WOH.RR.com. I received notification from people with several "edu" email adresses, and one with an IBM email address. I know I'm not alone, but it seems like lately these are coming at a breakneck pace.

FWIW, I block sender so I can't receive any new messsages and it's deleted. I guess it's a successful strategy (or it wouldn't be so often repeated), butI do wonder how the same fake email address is used by so many senders, in what appears to be a well synchronized effort.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:34 PM EDT
Another reason to not use paypal. ever.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:49 PM EDT
People still use paypal?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:27:57 PM EDT
That's the funny part about it. I once registered a few years ago, but never used it, and am adamantly opposed to them as an organization, based on their business practices. Does that stop the phishing? Noooooooo.....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
I get those every week.

Funny thing about it is I don't have a PayPal account.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
I just got a phishing email saying it was from PayPal. It said that since I hadn't had any activity in my account for 180 days and I needed to login using their fancy link with some non-standard characters in it. Of course 3 messages above that is a PayPal confirmation for a transaction for a trinket I bought the other day.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:22:50 PM EDT
I get hit all the time!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:07:36 PM EDT
I get hit at least once per day - I regularly report them to Paypal (spoof@paypal.com) but the phishers must be raking the cash in since they keep coming in. The funny thing is that a month or so ago I never got any at all. If you do business on ebay (I know, I know, but for some things it's the only source) then paypal isn't an option, especially if you're working overseas (like me).
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:49:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2006 5:51:08 AM EDT by psyops4fun]
Sir, please get yourself over to:

thescambaiter.com

where or friend fieroloki likewise hangs out. You will have friends there, and we are a commuity dedicated to combatting the Nigerian Lads and Romanian Vlads alike.

We can and DO fight back and we OWN the high ground *

*everychance we get

--"DumbBlonde" at thescambaiter.com

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:51:13 AM EDT
No doubt
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:05:30 AM EDT
Hello sirs, I haves super opportunities for yous. I Nigeria and obtain sevens million american monies to put in yous paypal account. Given me you password.

thank you,
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:06:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:08:26 AM EDT
Should be against the law, the FBI needs to get a cyber crimes division to deal with this.
Top Top