Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 2:57:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Even with a 6600GT AGP you should have at least a 300watt PS

Get a barebones system, add the 6600GT, your existing CPU and memory (maybe bump it a bit) and you are done. You are good to go for less than $300
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, this is coming from a previous UO addict.  I was addicted for about 4 years.  I tried to break the addiction two times before and failed.  I would litterally be driving home and have the shakes.  Once I ran into the computer room, hit the power button on my computer the shakes stopped, then I calmly logged in.  

I played my theif character so much when anyone saw the name "Habib" pop up, they promptly put their vanquishing swords right in the bank...

The only way I quit....I sold my account on E-bay.   I suggest you do the same....there is so much life after internet gaming...I even found out that I was living with someone....MY WIFE!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks, so that has now pushed us definitively into the new system versus upgrade realm.

ETA, I want to keep my old machine as a dedicated media center for backing-up DVDs, handling my Itunes, photo editing... all the things I don't want to tie up the new machine with that might slow it down.  For example, I intend to never browse the internet with the new machine to keep all spyware off it that could slow it down and slip by the scanners and flters.  The new machine will be a purely dedicated gaming machine.  The old machin will become the day to day workhorse.

ETA2, WHERE are you getting a good barebones system with power supply, motherboard, a 6600 GT and more memory for $300?????

You can get a halfway decent case and PS for $40, MB for $40, another 512 for $40 and 6600GT for about $140. I would dump the Ps in the case and get something a little more durable though. So figure another 30 for a better PS.

What chipset are you using now? VIA? NVIDIA?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand, the main benefit to going to PCIe is the ability to SLI on some boards. PCIe 6600gt vs AGP 6600gt is minimal. Unless you are running 2 6600's.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top