Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
he have kidneys?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
My HS Sweetheart was a nurse back in Ohio and contracted the same thing at work.

I went home for my Uncles (101st Screaming Eagle) funeral, and ran into her Mom. She told me everything and that I should call her.

We talked a few times on the phone, once she talked to me right after a surgery. The nurse answered, said my name and she woke up and talked to me. The nurse was amazed. They had taken her legs and were moving up. It finally killed her.

RIP Florence.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your story in part reminds me of a local fella. He was pushed from behind in front of a passing subway train. He was trapped at waist level between the deck and one of the train cars. Upon closer inspection, he had nothing below the waist, it all had been severed. The only thing keeping him alive was the train being so close to the deck, which was stopping him from bleeding out.
Sad part, he asked for his wife to be brought to the station, which was done, then of course, he had to be removed.

that was made into a law and order episode.

Back in the 70s I heard the same thing had happened to guy who worked at the warehouse where I'd just been hired. He somehow got pinned between a trailer and the dock, and he lived for a while, until they concluded there was nothing left to do but have the truck pull forward.

I heard a similiar story except it was a 2 tanks in Germany. Told by a TC who was supposedly in the same company.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did the x-ray and later talked to the nurse - apparently this guy had gotten a flesh-eating infection that started in his feet and progressed up, and they kept having to amputate until they finally got it stopped 3 years ago.

What was it, and how do you prevent it?!?

Just don't read threads about Madonna and you will be safe.

/just damn.

Since I work in operating rooms all over the country, I would say he probably contracted the virus in an operating room.......
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your story in part reminds me of a local fella. He was pushed from behind in front of a passing subway train. He was trapped at waist level between the deck and one of the train cars. Upon closer inspection, he had nothing below the waist, it all had been severed. The only thing keeping him alive was the train being so close to the deck, which was stopping him from bleeding out.
Sad part, he asked for his wife to be brought to the station, which was done, then of course, he had to be removed.

Actually, it was a "Homicide: Life on the Street" episdoe.  The show used to be filmed in Baltimore about 10 years ago, but it got cancelled.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Every morning remind yourself things could be much worse and say a prayer.

Serious.

GM
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the 70s I heard the same thing had happened to guy who worked at the warehouse where I'd just been hired. He somehow got pinned between a trailer and the dock, and he lived for a while, until they concluded there was nothing left to do but have the truck pull forward.

I heard a similiar story except it was a 2 tanks in Germany. Told by a TC who was supposedly in the same company.

I heard the same thing...I was there around the time it happened.  It's all anyone could talk about...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember an episode of Squad 51 in the '70s where a guy was pinned by a truck against a dock.

MRSA is a resistant strain of staph the was, originally, only found in hospitals. It has since been found "in the wild". My wife does surgery and when our daughter came down with MRSA in her ears we thought it had come home with my wife. The Dr. that treated her said it may not have, that it was cropping up outside the hospitals especially in kids.
A very aggressive treatment cured her and saved her hearing.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, you'll see bad shit more and more.  I'll never forget going into a wrong room looking for a patient and seeing what looked like a alien from another planet.  This guys face was so fucked up, I almost froze in my tracks before turning around and muttering "holy shit" under my breath.  I looked at his chart and found that he'd tried to commit suicide with a shotgun, but really only blew his face off.  Disturbing.

Overall though, working in surgery made me pretty tough about what I saw.  Even in the beginning, I never had any problems seeing fucked up shit.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]
was also a scene in 'Faces of Death'

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is pretty interesting the perspective I have gained working in a hospital - I am confronted daily with how amazing and wonderful my life is, even with my problems and issues, because I see just how FUCKING worse it could be when I encounter stuff like this.  And it makes me think that, you know, life is too short to constantly make myself wait to do the things I have wanted to do for so long.

+1

Nothing like acute care to make you realize how lucky you are compare to others

EPOCH
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
wow. just another example of how most of us have it so good, even when we think we don't. to be honest though, there are plenty of other examples, we just care not to see them most of them time............
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top