Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:11:07 PM EDT
....I met these three brothers, Mohammed, Hassan, and Ali, about this time, 5 years ago. I was doing the electrical installs for a refrigeration company, at the time. Pre-9/11. We did a cooler for these guys, they seemed pretty nice, and they threw me some side work at the store afterward. The store is in the 'hood. After 9/11, one of the brothers gets interviewed by the FBI......a couple of times. The other two brothers end up asking me to do some electrical work at their homes. I figure, money is money......so I do the work. Now, these guys have A LOT of money. I have been at the store when deliveries come in, and they ALWAYS get paid for with cash. Beer truck comes with 100 cases....cash....cigarette vendor, few hundred cartons.....cash.....bread guy, cash....dairy guy, cash.....No accounts, you get the idea. I have also been around this store enough, and know the neighborhood is poor, poor enough that I wonder "Where does all this cash come from?"
     Two of the brothers only work at the store. The other one works at a machine shop also. They all have nice houses, drive Lincoln Navigators, have top of the line computers, TVs , stereos, etc....The brother who got questioned by the FBI, lives right under the flight path of Cleveland Hopkins International Airport!....The machine shop guy, tells me that two of his wife's uncles were killed by the Israeli Defense Forces because they were Hamas bomb makers!....So after that conversation, I quickly finished up what I was doing and DISTANCED myself from these guys. I don't even go into their store to buy a soda anymore.....I was a little freaked out, to say the least. I don't know if the Hamas story was true or not. But he said it with a straight face, and his wife was just standing there nodding in agreement.....I haven't talked to these guys or been in their store for almost 2 years now.......
     Well.......one of them just called me, and said he has some electrical work. I don't really want to do it for him, but I can't think of a tangible excuse to tell him, on why I can't. This story is no bullshit, and after some of the things that have gone on recently, (terrorists in Toledo, crazy Muslim guy running people over at UNC), and what these guys have said to me in the past, I seriously wonder.....WTF is up with them ?.......So, my fellow ARFcommers....what would you do?.....They have never done anything outwardly suspicious, but the shit they SAY......damn!.......Please, be serious.... what should I do?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Go do the work and be very observant of what you see in their house. You might be a hero for it even.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I see it this way...

1) You can do the job and get paid in cash.

or

2) You can tell them that you don't have the time to do it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I would think members of a sleeper cell would want to keep a low profile, ie not driving nice cars, flashing cash, etc....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Call the FBI and volunteer to help them if the brothers are under investigation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd call the FBI.
Or you could install a bug as a non governmental agency to see what these good lads are all about.
I would love to get the story behind their funding.

+1.
Actually, if he's fast enough about it, the FBI has an excellent opportunity for a bug or two to be set up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I see it this way...

1) You can do the job and get paid in cash.

or

2) You can tell them that you don't have the time to do it.

I do need the cash........and maybe MrCleanForHire has a good point also......
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]

get valmorphinized and try to join their gang
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
What would Jack Bauer do?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
www.skapunkandotherjunk.com/images/Icons/ta_gary1.jpg

get valmorphinized and try to join their gang

You sir, just made my day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have evidence that these guys are criminals, then act on it.
I would take the job...money is money...keep your eyes open and see if anything comes up. They obviously trust you....perhaps enough to lessen their guard if in fact they actually have something to hide.

I knew a guy from Ireland....decent hard working stnd up guy from an immigrant family that worked their asses off and made something for themselves in America. He had an uncle that was killed after being invloved with the IRA. Doesnt change the fact that this guy is a straight shooter. Maybe his uncle had an agenda, but it means nothing to me...and my biddy is still welcome in my home any time.

All that said...just keep your eyes open. Having cash doesnt make you a terrorist.....just smart with business. Now, if you start seeing religious writing on the walls and pictures of burning flags or crying children.....well then....time to drop a call to the tip line.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you have evidence that these guys are criminals, then act on it.
I would take the job...money is money...keep your eyes open and see if anything comes up. They obviously trust you....perhaps enough to lessen their guard if in fact they actually have something to hide.

I knew a guy from Ireland....decent hard working stnd up guy from an immigrant family that worked their asses off and made something for themselves in America. He had an uncle that was killed after being invloved with the IRA. Doesnt change the fact that this guy is a straight shooter. Maybe his uncle had an agenda, but it means nothing to me...and my biddy is still welcome in my home any time.

All that said...just keep your eyes open. Having cash doesnt make you a terrorist.....just smart with business. Now, if you start seeing religious writing on the walls and pictures of burning flags or crying children.....well then....time to drop a call to the tip line.

10-4, over.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd be pretty skeptical of a terrorist connection.  Tax evasion seems a much more likely reason for their cash dealings...

Of course, if your life is very dull, you could always assume that they are terrorists, and install listening devices when you do their electrical work.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
A terrorist would not have told you the story about his wife's uncle.  He might be a terrorist sympathizer, but he's probably not a terrorist.  No big deal, I'd say about 45% of Americans are terrorist sympathizers anyway.  I've learned to live with and accept this (pulled out of my ass with no proof) statistic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Lately, the biggest scam that the "Arab quik-e-marts" have been involved in, has been food stamp trafficking.  That might be why they have so much extra money.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Lately, the biggest scam that the "Arab quik-e-marts" have been involved in, has been food stamp trafficking.  That might be why they have so much extra money.

I was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps they're not Muslim extremists. Maybe they're NON explosive-vest-wearing, box-cutter-wielding, AK-toting, turban-sporting, chemical-weapon-releasing-criminals. I'm sure non-terrorist Middle Eastern criminals exist too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Just hope they are not Arfcommers who just read your post!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Get the money before they go to jail. Charge em double.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
two of his wife's uncles were killed by the Israeli Defense Forces because they were Hamas bomb makers!....So after that conversation, I quickly finished up what I was doing and DISTANCED myself from these guys. I don't even go into their store to buy a soda anymore.....I was a little freaked out, to say the least. I don't know if the Hamas story was true or not. But he said it with a straight face, and his wife was just standing there nodding in agreement.....

Maybe they were not agreeable to Uncles behavior. Just because it happened does not mean they are in cahoots with them or in anyway approved their behavior.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Take the cash and do some recon.  Also, report them to the IRS and/or homeland security.  Wear an "Infidel" tee shirt too, while munching on pork skins and drinking bacon grease.  They probably won't call you again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
two of his wife's uncles were killed by the Israeli Defense Forces because they were Hamas bomb makers!....So after that conversation, I quickly finished up what I was doing and DISTANCED myself from these guys. I don't even go into their store to buy a soda anymore.....I was a little freaked out, to say the least. I don't know if the Hamas story was true or not. But he said it with a straight face, and his wife was just standing there nodding in agreement.....

Maybe they were not agreeable to Uncles behavior. Just because it happened does not mean they are in cahoots with them or in anyway approved their behavior.

That's a good point. When you come from a region plagued by war and conflict over the last 50+ years I imagine it wouldn't be uncommon to be related to someone involved in some aspect of the fighting.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good point. When you come from a region plagued by war and conflict over the last 50+ years I imagine it wouldn't be uncommon to be related to someone involved in some aspect of the fighting.

true enough , I guess........he was supposed to call me back this evening, and didn't........who knows? we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn, I haven't tagged this yet?

One thing, if these guys were Palis there would be 100 people here saying that it's none of our business what their background is or if they pay for things in cash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd take the job. If they've already been interviewed (a couple of times) by the FBI and not arrested then I doubt that you are going to get in trouble simply because you do some electrical work.

And as for that Hamas bomb maker comment....

I don't want to sterotype, but I bet you half of the men in Palestine can claim to know or be a "Hamas bomb maker". That doesn't really tell me a whole lot except that they have been in a warzone for a long time.

I'd do it.

Tell them you want to be paid in expensive German beer .

That's how you can see if they really have connections.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude you could end up in gitmo as an enemy combatant for doing electrical work for terrorists.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Dude you could end up in gitmo as an enemy combatant for doing electrical work for terrorists.

I'm assuming that was a joke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Do the job and consider calling the FBI.  But lots of cash doesn;t mean too much--those inner city stores are gold mines.  A friend of mine was in commercial real estate in DC and bad parts of Maryland.  His saying was "trash is cash".  They made big money doing nothing but investing in stores anf strip malls in poor areas.  All that welfare money plus drug trafficing money has to get spent somewhere right?

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe they will give you AK47's for payment.

I do find it kinda strange they kept your number handy after 2 years..maybe they figure you seen some things you weren't supposed to see,and you are now on their "cool infidel" list.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I do find it kinda strange they kept your number handy after 2 years..maybe they figure you seen some things you weren't supposed to see,and you are now on their "cool infidel" list.

Hey Hassan, the damn frezzer is on the fritz, hak!

Call that kafir electrician we used last time......

...and tell him he is to not wear marpat this time! allah akbar!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just maybe

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is there plastic on the floor?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Draw Down
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

just maybe

Whew!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]
see if you can look at their rolodex... if they have you listed as "The Infidel" maybe you should be concerned
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
durka durka slurpee  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

that's kind of what I was thinking.....I kind of thought I let them know in no certain terms, that I did not want to work for them anymore.....Dammit....I should've changed my cell number!...but he hasn't called back, so maybe he got the hint when I told him that his warranty on the last work had expired, because it's been over a year already, and I only give a 1 year warranty on labor. Maybe he didn't want to pay.......what's crazy is, with all their money, they always want to haggle on price...like they're poor or some shit......
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#39]
It is more likely that they are involved in some sort of regular criminal scam.  Little stores like that don't make that kind of money.  I know a few people who own them.  Tax fraud, drugs, money laundering, something like that, probably.  On the other hand, the FBI questioned him for a reason.  I don't think they are terrorists, because if they are, they'd have been stupid enough to be caught already the way they are acting.  Maybe they are sympathizers or are involved in fundraising or something. Still, they're not keeping a low profile.  You have to figure either the terrorists or the FBI would have gotten sick of them and removed the problem by now.  At the worst, you can go in and keep an eye out, and any money they give you is money they won't be giving terrorists or using to finance their crimes.  I doubt you'll get arrested or kidnapped and your head sawed off.  Money is money, and even criminals need electrical work done.  It's not like you are helping them commit their crimes.

Maybe their uncle is the king of West Shabeeza or something.  Who knows?  If it really bugs you, report all that stuff to the FBI.  Maybe it will help them.  If it comes out to be nothing, they'll never know you reported them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
A lot of times grocery stores pay their vendors in cash. Not unusual at all. Do the work, but it would be a good idea keep an eye out for anything suspicious.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's kind of what I was thinking.....I kind of thought I let them know in no certain terms, that I did not want to work for them anymore.....Dammit....I should've changed my cell number!...but he hasn't called back, so maybe he got the hint when I told him that his warranty on the last work had expired, because it's been over a year already, and I only give a 1 year warranty on labor. Maybe he didn't want to pay.......what's crazy is, with all their money, they always want to haggle on price...like they're poor or some shit......

Well if it makes you feel better, just last week I called a guy I haven't talked to in three years. It just so happened that I had his business card from the last time I saw him (3 years ago). I saved it because I figured he might be able to help me in the future. And that's what happened.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
see if you can look at their rolodex... if they have you listed as "The Infidel" maybe you should be concerned

I am going to quote this in my sigline!

Thanks NT!

Tag for later!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#43]
They haggle over paying because that's what they do in their culture.  Even rich people haggle.  It's a form of entertainment in places that don't have TV, radio, literacy, or indoor plumbing,
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
what's crazy is, with all their money, they always want to haggle on price...like they're poor or some shit......

Maybe that's why they seem to be wealthier then they should be?

The guys might have found good deals on cars houses etc...

I'm just saying, I seriously doubt they would have "our plans for terrorist action" posters on their walls. or like a room labeled bomb making supplies.

Just go with your gut.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I have indian aquaintences that own a similar gas station/quik-e-mart, in a poor section of Atlanta.
They also use cash for everything. They use cash, because thats what poor people pay with. Poor people in the inner city do not use plastic; they don't have bank accounts. They play the lottery, and they pay $.25 for a loosey. Thats why they have cash, and thats why they have alot of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#46]
the FBI talked to these guys. But that doesn't mean they're bad guys. They could be informants. I'd be very careful about assuming the wrong thing here.

Still, a call to the local office might be prudent before accepting any work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
what's crazy is, with all their money, they always want to haggle on price...like they're poor or some shit......

Haggling on everything is why they aren't poor (and it's cultural).  There's a weird perception in America that millionaires spend money like water, but most studies indicate that millionaires become millionaires and stay millionaires by being "thrifty".

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Can you explain to me what country "Palestinians" come from?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never pay for anything with a negotiable price without trying to talk the price down.

You don't get rich spending it when you don't have to.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Go do the work and be very observant of what you see in their house. You might be a hero for it even.

+1.  Call the FBI.  They may even ask you to install a bug.  Wiretap for Freedumb!    The Walls have Ears!  Loose lips sink ships.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top