Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 11:51:25 AM EDT

Coroner: Lack of oxygen, not peanut-butter kiss, killed girl

Monday, March 6, 2006; Posted: 12:24 p.m. EST (17:24 GMT)
MONTREAL, Quebec (AP) -- A teenager with a peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend following his peanut-butter snack, but from a lack of oxygen to her brain, a Quebec coroner said Monday.

Coroner Michel Miron declined to disclose the exact cause of death because he has yet to submit his final report to the provincial coroner's office, but he told The Associated Press he hoped to end the "phobia" provoked by the case, which drew global media coverage.

Christina Desforges, 15, died in a Quebec hospital in November. Officials at the time had said that doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to a peanut-laced kiss from her boyfriend the previous weekend.

Allergists described the case as being rare and worrisome.

"Elements of the investigation tell us peanut butter was not responsible," Miron told the AP. Miron said clinical indicators have eliminated peanut as the cause for her death and said it appeared the girl suffered from "cerebral anoxia," or lack of oxygen to the brain, which caused serious damage.

Miron said he could not discuss reports that the girl suffered from asthma and believed she was having an attack before her collapse.

Symptoms of peanut allergies can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.

Miron said he felt compelled to speak out to counter incorrect claims that peanut butter was responsible for Christina's death, or that injections used to treat allergic reactions were ineffective.

"People thought the girl had not used her Epipen [Adrenalin shot] properly and families were panicking because they thought it wouldn't always work," he said, insisting that the drug's effectiveness was never in doubt.

Scientific journals also had contacted him, questioning the use of the Adrenalin shot and how it is injected.

"It was necessary to set things straight," Miron said. "The drug wasn't used at all because nobody knew she was allergic," he said, noting the first hospital she was sent to did not have her records.

Miron said the girl and her boyfriend kissed, but many hours after he ate the peanut-butter snack. By then he had ingested other foods such as popcorn and beer.

The saliva generated in the process also would have cleansed his mouth before the kiss, Miron said.

Now I'm a little confused here.  The doc says that the alergy didn't kill her, that lack of oxygen did.  But isn't that exactly what the end result of a severe alergic reaction would be?

Unless of course the doc found that she had an obstructed airway, CO poisoning, or that she had drowned wouldn't cranial apoxia be expected?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Now I'm a little confused here.  The doc says that the alergy didn't kill her, that lack of oxygen did.  But isn't that exactly what the end result of a severe alergic reaction would be?

Unless of course the doc found that she had an obstructed airway, CO poisoning, or that she had drowned wouldn't cranial apoxia be expected?

Uhhh, it says that the doc thinks she died from an athsma attack.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
This is more BS from the anti peanut assclowns.

I have food allergies. I'm allergic to fish.

If chicken or fries are cooked in the same oil. It won't kill me.

If I'm in the same room as fish being cooked. It won't kill me.

In fact. I still go fishing.

If fresh fish goes thru a canning process, I can eat it.

If I eat it fresh or get the fish juices in my eyes. I'm in trouble. Throat swells. Gets hard to breath. Also temporarily blind.

I know my limits and take precautions to protect myself. I don't need some freeken nanny government to tell me or other people they cant eat or have fish near me.

I honestly believe that people are blowing all of this out of proportion. This BS is to allow people to file law suits against the fast food industry to please the PETA clowns that don't want you to eat meat.

That and it makes the lawyers rich.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top