Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Always locked unless I'm working outside and going in and out a lot.  One thing I hate about the house we bought is that it has way too many external doors.  Who needs SIX freakin doors to the outside, plus two garage doors?  Doing my nightly check to make sure all the doors are locked is a pain.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#2]
My doors are always locked.  Better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
with kids in and out all the time, our side door is locked but the front door is unlocked most of the day. we live in a real small rural town approx 45 houses, my dogs dont even let people park in front of our house without us knowing before they even shut the motor off.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Doors are always locked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i walk into my house and shout "IN BEFORE THE LOCK!" then i lock the door.

i'm on ARFCOM waaaaaay too much

You owe me a new monitor!

That being said. The doors are unlocked only during times we are passing through them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine stay locked.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I love that some of you guys are stupid enough to leave a door unlocked when you aren't walking through it.  

Can I have your shit when you get killed?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the only time they're unlocked is when I'm about to go through them.

+1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Generally, if I haven't gone out that day, the doors are still locked from the night before. If so, it is kind of up in the air. I'm generally armed while at home, but not because I don't feel safe really. If I lived in the city, no doubt about it, I would be locked up tighter than Hillary's ass.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine are locked all of the time. It makes it easier to train my wife and daughter who, ironically enough, the locks benefit most.

Bomber

PS then again, I open carry in my house
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I have relatives in Nebraska that don't even have locks on their doors. I shit you not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the only time they're unlocked is when I'm about to go through them.

+1

I had to instill this behavior into the rest of my family.

Same here.  Took the wife a year or so of living with me before it became habit.  My kids have never known any different.

It drives my friends and family crazy though.  Everytime they come to visit and are about to leave, they pull on the door, turn the dead bolt back and forth a few times before they finally give up and step aside for the kingdom commander to unlock and let them out.

LOL.....same thing happens at my home. I live in a really nice area. A few years ago, some kid was looking for drug money and went through a nearby neighborhood looking for unlocked doors. He entered a house and was in the kitchen looking aound when the home owner confroonted him. The kid grabbed a butcher knife and stabbed the guy in the neck. If his door was locked, the kid would have just moved on .

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I do, we had a few kick in robberies here.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I always lock my doors even when I'm at home in my house.  The wife never locks it, and then one day some LDS people came "spreading the word of God."  That scared my wife wife because they could've been people with dastardly deeds in mind and walked right in.  Now she locks the door every time she enters our house.

BTW: My neighborhood is pretty safe, one of my neighbors 3 doors over, went on vacation and left the front open with behind a screen door.  I personally thought nothing of it because well they were probably at home because the mom's car was in the driveway etc, it wasn't till later that I found out the family was gone on a 3 week vacation to n. Calif. and returned.  Nothing was stolen or amiss.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I get shit from the Sheeple friends I have over when the doors are all locked.

Funny, though, I guess most of them are unarmed anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the bad guy gets in promptly or after about 10-15 seconds of kicking in the door.  They are still going to be sheared.

On the rare occasion I am not carrying at home, that 10-15 seconds would give me more than enough time to arm-up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Always Locked
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Gates padlocked, security screen door locked, back door locked, and my dogs wandering the house....
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#19]
This is a very sad thread.

It reminds me of the days of the Roman villa...no windows on the outside; central courtyard so you can enjoy the outside.

Why do we tolerate this
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Garage door down
Cars inside garage, locked.
Door from garage to house, locked.
Front door, looked.
Patio door, 2 seperate locks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It reminds me of the days of the Roman villa...no windows on the outside; central courtyard so you can enjoy the outside.

Why do we tolerate this

Because 2000+ years ago the Romans figured out that there are people out there that will take everything you have ever worked for, or kill you, on a whim.

Those people are still out there today.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Why do we tolerate this

becuase the people whom we elect would rather dance around the problem of crime rather than fix it.

you of all people know about this problem in your state
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]
We recently had a family of four that lived here that were beaten and killed by two serial killers. They would look for unlocked doors. After beating the father, mother and two young girls, they killed the whole family by slitting their throats.

My son was the victim of a home invasion several years ago. Noone was physically injured but it was a very bad experience for them all.

I have locked all doors all the time for quite a while and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#24]
I leave mine unlocked with a sign on the door that says" House of truth in progress"

No takers yet
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do we tolerate this

becuase the people whom we elect would rather dance around the problem of crime rather than fix it.

you of all people know about this problem in your state

I'm pretty sure in Roman times they were not afraid to sentence people to death for minor crimes, and did frequently. Yet there were still all manner of crimes.

Criminals often have about a 10 second "what will happen if" thought span. They don't think they will get caught, and don't consider the consequences that will happen if they are caught.

The whole thought process is "see shiny thing, want shiny thing, take shiny thing"...................
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Why do we tolerate this

It pisses me off too. Our Durango only has a lock cyl on the drivers door. I refuse to have the keyless remote in my pocket so I always have to unlock the door to get in. It pisses me off that we have allowed the crooks and their lawyers to get the upper hand.  Bring back "60 days of hard labor" or other onerous sentences and these bastards might think twice about petty crime.

rj
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#27]

LOCKED and loaded
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes.  Always have always will.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Always locked, and all visitors are observed through a peep-hole before the locks are disengaged. At least one gun is at hand when the door is opened.  

If I go out for the paper, I lay down a smokescreen and get some covering fire.  This is, after all, New York.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why do we tolerate this

"WE" don't - unfortunately, liberal democrats do - and there's FAR too many of them in our country...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#32]

I'm pretty sure in Roman times they were not afraid to sentence people to death for minor crimes, and did frequently. Yet there were still all manner of crimes.

Criminals often have about a 10 second "what will happen if" thought span. They don't think they will get caught, and don't consider the consequences that will happen if they are caught.

The whole thought process is "see shiny thing, want shiny thing, take shiny thing"...................

exactly!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Not in the Summer.  I keep the screen doors locked, but, they are pretty heavy duty.

I don't run the AC, so, I pretty muchhave to or I'll die.

I trust me and, my Walther to take care of anyoe that might see
fit to enter through either door.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No. If I'm ome the door is unlocked.

But then I live in a small apartment in a town of nearly 7000. A bigger place in a larger town, maybe.

Most home robberies are crimes of opportunity.

That's very true. The cars in my apartment's parking lot just had their stereo's stolen in Dec. All cars were hit but mine one Friday night. My car was the only one locked.

But besides living in Mayberry I work graveyards and sleep late afternoon to around 10:00pm. I'm awake durning the part of the day that gets very little traffic in this out of the way neighborhood and can watch the parking lot and street from my computer desk. I try to keep up on what's going on around town and if there's a rash of problems I have no problems locking myself in and loading up a gun, usually my XM177clone or my 12ga. 870.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I tend to lock mine. I live in a suburban area that has had more and more people going door-to-door asking for money for (amazingly) pretty much teh same sorts of things "well my car is out of gas and i have to get to the hospital in [another town] because my mom/dad is really ill and I need to get there and was wondering if you could help me out". I have had people come around my neighborhood asking this at all hours, as well as I have been leaving work (at a grocery store) at 4:00 AM and have had people cruising the parking lots of the strip malls and stores, asking the same thing.
I have heard nearly the exact same story of this, at least ten times in the last three years. It has always been different people asking it.
?????

Quoted:
Always locked, and all visitors are observed through a peep-hole before the locks are disengaged. At least one gun is at hand when the door is opened.

Now here's a fun question: do any of you guys have steel panels on the inside of your doors? Like,,, thick enough to stop a handgun bullet? I have seen a few movies where this was done--when the attacker saw the peephole "go dark", they just shot right into the center of the door.....
~  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#36]
If I am in the house, yes, the doors get locked. If I'm out in the yard in front, I'll leave it unlocked.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#37]
All the Time
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:06:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Locked when I'm at home.  You never know who's going to walk in when your flogging the dolphin.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I live in a city. I can see no intelligent reason not to have the doors locked at all times.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:19:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep... locked most of the time. Too many stories of people just walking in. This ain't the 40's anymore.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Depends,

If im In for the day nand tired alarm on and doors locked. If in and out then no..But my trusty ole machette by the front and garage door will take care of any intruders.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:08:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Lock all the doors all the time.  

Until recently, every summer we had someone in our neighborhood entering unlocked homes.  The MO was to drive down the street, and listen for lawnmowers or look for the homeowners working in the backyard then enter through the unlocked front door or through the garage.

The thief would take purses, jewelry or cash.  They were never caught.

<-------------Lookie, Post  No. 100
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:35:24 AM EDT
[#43]
If an exterior door is not currently in use for entry or exit, it is locked.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I do
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:31:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I am pretty good about keeping them locked at all times.  The rest of the family doesn't feel the same sense of need as I do.  I will keep working on them...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
www.pre-lock.com/badguy.jpg

LOCKED and loaded

So how much does Michael Jackson charge to work as your personal door barricade?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I do not want to be the first zombie victim in 2006. But no I do not lock the doors.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I keep all everything secure.

LB
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, always locked

Where is the poll ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top