Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:07:24 PM EDT
I picked up a 1911 today in a trade. I shot it after my IDPA match and it shoots really well. Sights are dead on, the trigger is perfect, the grip is very natural and the it's well balanced. The only issue that I have seen is that the mags don't always drop free. About 1/2 the time they drop and the other half they have to be pulled out (with a very light tug). This of course is only a problem if I need to clear a malfunction or reload and the mag sticks.

The gun is a Kimber Pro Carry SLE. Any idea on what the problem might be and how to resolve it? Is it something that I can have corrected cheap?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
are they quality mags
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
does it have custom grip pannels on it that might have something sticking into the mag well?  I had that problem with I put new grips on my Beretta.  An Xacto knife or some sandpaper would clear up any problem like that
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
*remains in his trance from chat repeating "Must have Peters-Stahl pistol........." *

I WANT!

oh yeah I have no idea how to answer your question
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
are they quality mags

Some Kimber 8 rounders, a "Shooting Star" and some Springfield 7 rounders.

They all work fine in my Springfield USGI .45.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
check to make sure the grip screws and bushings are not going in the mag well, also look at the mag release when depressed to make sure it is not infringing on the mag well
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
also look at the mag release when depressed to make sure it is not infringing on the mag well

I think that this is the problem. I fooled with inserting an empty mag while the action was open and looking down the mag well. It looks like the mag release juts into the mag well on the left side when it is depressed and it is wedging the mag against the mag well just enough to keep it from falling out.

I don't know jack about fooling with 1911's mechanically. Would it be difficult or expensive to replace the mag release?

I wonder if it just needs to be cleaned real good???
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Replace it?

Shit, just take a file and take a little bit of that extra metal off of it until it clears the magwell when depressed.

Pointless to replace a part that just needs a little fitting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Steve,

Some guys actually screw aluminum base pads-or steel on their mag bottoms to give them extra weight.  I use Chip McCormick's Power Mags and they're perfect for my Kimber TLE II .45 and they don't stick at all.

HH
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Try some quality WILSON mags.

Try removing the mag catch and seeing if they drop free. sometimes the mag catch can cause drag.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Back off some of the grip screws, this may likely be your problem... Take slide off and run your fingers around inside the mag well, see if there is anything sticking out.

Wilson mags are great when they are new, then they go to shit, quickly, run the CMC Powerball mags and get the Tripp followers. The old Wilson's were great, the new ones are not as great, if you shoot a lot, you will be replacing springs and followers a lot. If you leave them loaded, the bodies and feed lips will spread, they are still better than most of the shit magazines on the market though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Mag release could have a slight burr causing the mag to hold it in place. Look at that after the grip panels.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I'd check for burrs and other things that could be snagging the magazine. I've never had any problems with my 1911s, even when I bought some nappy old surplus magazines at a local store.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only issue that I have seen is that the mags don't always drop free. About 1/2 the time they drop and the other half they have to be pulled out (with a very light tug). This of course is only a problem if I need to clear a malfunction or reload and the mag sticks.

The gun is a Kimber Pro Carry SLE. Any idea on what the problem might be and how to resolve it? Is it something that I can have corrected cheap?

Learn to strip mags.

It always works.

100% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Back off some of the grip screws, this may likely be your problem... Take slide off and run your fingers around inside the mag well, see if there is anything sticking out.

Wilson mags are great when they are new, then they go to shit, quickly, run the CMC Powerball mags and get the Tripp followers. The old Wilson's were great, the new ones are not as great, if you shoot a lot, you will be replacing springs and followers a lot. If you leave them loaded, the bodies and feed lips will spread, they are still better than most of the shit magazines on the market though.

Can you tell me more about that part in red?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#16]
www.trippresearch.com/

My WILSON mags are all 100% reliable, all several years old,  and none have needed new springs. They have survived years and years of abuse,  getting dropped, kicked/stepped on etc.,  years of IPSC,  and IDPA.

Never had to do anything but clean them.

+1 on checking for burrs. also check the plunger tube, the two ends that go inside the gun. Sometimes when they get staked, it creats a burr.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Take a file and square up the slot on the right side of the mag where the release fits into
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Get an old mag, pop and drop it [empty of course] a few hundred times. It'll burnish the rough off the mag release. Before you start grabbing a file try that first.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
also look at the mag release when depressed to make sure it is not infringing on the mag well

I think that this is the problem. I fooled with inserting an empty mag while the action was open and looking down the mag well. It looks like the mag release juts into the mag well on the left side when it is depressed and it is wedging the mag against the mag well just enough to keep it from falling out.

I don't know jack about fooling with 1911's mechanically. Would it be difficult or expensive to replace the mag release?

I wonder if it just needs to be cleaned real good???

Less that $20 and 2 min to replace. I could do it blindfolded, very easy. But probably not necessary.

I would clean it good first could just be gunk sticking the release.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
check to make sure the grip screws and bushings are not going in the mag well, also look at the mag release when depressed to make sure it is not infringing on the mag well

That was my thought on the matter...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Wilson Combat mags.  They have a life time guarantee.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#22]
I would do the simplest things first such as cleaning the mag well and the mags in question before grinding and/or filling any thing. And I would also number the mags and check to see if they mags stick on the same mag or on different mags.  Maybe one is a little different from the other.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoted:
*remains in his trance from chat repeating "Must have Peters-Stahl pistol........." *

www.peters-stahl.com/p-english/pic/hc-sportduo.JPG

I WANT!

oh yeah I have no idea how to answer your question

My friend has a Springfield Armory Omega/Peters-Stahl top section in 10mm auto for his 1911 S.A. frame.  It has dual extractors, polygonal rifling, a Magna-Port type holes in the slide to control muzzle flip and recoil.  From what I understand it was available in both 10mm and 45ACP.  BUT.... if you happen to break an extractor or firing pin you will be SOL, there is no known source of parts in the USofA.

I don't know how accurate this is but,
www.home.earthlink.net/~gnappi/10mm-gun.htm#springfield

Springfield Omega ------DISCONTINUED
McMillan Wolverine ------DISCONTINUED
Safari Arms (Conversion only)------DISCONTINUED
Federal Ordnance PS-07------DISCONTINUED
Stahl America ------Not Delivered in the U.S

Omega Omega

I owned one, and two of my friends owned them, ALL were problems. With guide rod breakage, slide stop cracks, firing pin breakage, extractor wear, front sight loss, and slides breaking, the design from Stahl needed beefing up. Also the dual extractors caused MANY empties to be launched straight into my forehead. I started to develop a flinch, and a fear parts would not be available, and traded it for my GCDE... I'm not sorry 4 years later.

This was also sold for SHORT periods of time with import agreements with the above manufacturers/importers.

On with the gun details:

It was of multi caliber design, the frame patterned after the 1911. The top end was a completely new design, and it seemed as if as the bugs were finally worked out, the gun disappeared... too bad.

Since the dual extractors forced headspacing on the case rim, MINE shot hundreds of .40 S&W rounds (using colt .40 mags) without a hitch. Something I DO NOT recommend in ANY other gun chambered for the 10mm alone, with the exception of the 610. The top end was ported through the slide and barrel, and most of the ones I have seen were long slides, and blued finish. It was also available in a blue 5" slide AND a rare factory Hard Chrome version. All Springfield Armory guns were factory ported, however the McMillan, Safari Arms, and Stahl versions were not ported.

It was available in 10mm, 40S&W, .38 super, 9mm, 9x21, .38 special, and .45ACP. The barrels were inexpensive, and they worked very well. The barrel was a linkless design, that I'm sure will catch on after a time. Springfield also had a linkless 1911 in .40 and a few in 10mm, but patent concerns over the Stahl design might have caused them to cease production. I know of no linked 10mm's from either Stahl, or Springfield.

Owners of this gun are VERY fond of them, as I was. I had several folks write me looking for parts, and gunsmiths who knew of their uniqueness. I was one of them, and I understand. Now that I do not own one it's much easier to tell them to "sell it" and get a Delta Elite. Failing that, it's a good idea to find a Springfield .45 ACP slide to convert it back into a usable gun, in the event your slide goes belly up.

NEW NEWS

Peters Stahl America, sent me Email after asking them if they would have spare parts for the earlier "Omega" pistols. While the answer is cryptic it "sounds" like NO!

My question

"I saw your site, and wondered if you will sell parts for, and support the Stahl linkless designs brought in the US by Springfield, McMillan, and Safari Arms.?

Peters Stahl reply

"No - Our deal to rep them feel thru. Sorry"

NEW NEW NEWS

On the 10mm talk site, I learned that Stahl is providing spare parts for the (of all things)
Springfield "Linkless". I wrote the following note to: [email protected]

My interest in Stahl designs goes way back and I bought a Springfield Omega
from Springfield, but sold it after your company and Springfield discontinued
your business relationship, as I couldn't get spare parts.

I have heard that you will now supply parts for the Springfield "Linkless" and possibly
the "Omega" top end. If so, what parts will you provide?

Also, are you once again selling the Omega type product in 10mm?

Regards,

Gary Napolitano

I'll post any replies to my note here...

FEATURES

* Blue, or Hard Chrome finishes
   * Spring biased dual extractors
   * Multi caliber design
   * 8 round steel mag (10mm)
   * SA (series 70) trigger/safeties
   * Standard Colt mags
   * Adjustable sights
   * Full length guide rod
   * Springfield models EDM ported
   * Linkless barrel design
   * Colt frame parts compatibility
   * Longslide (6") or standard 5" Depending on importer.
   * Ported or unported slides

See TECH tips section for IMPORTANT info on this gun

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
www.trippresearch.com/

My WILSON mags are all 100% reliable, all several years old,  and none have needed new springs. They have survived years and years of abuse,  getting dropped, kicked/stepped on etc.,  years of IPSC,  and IDPA.

Never had to do anything but clean them.

+1 on checking for burrs. also check the plunger tube, the two ends that go inside the gun. Sometimes when they get staked, it creats a burr.

My old ones work great... It's the new ones that are not as good as they used to be. I bought 10 new ones last year, they all went to shit. I sent them back (Wilson does indeed replace them for free) and sold the new ones. Like I said, they are fine magazines, but the bodies on the CMC Powerballs are much better (and cheaper $$ too).

IBT "some government/mil agency/unit uses Wilson's so they are the best" post... Yes, they do, and they throw them away when they go bad. The "G" has that kind of money, most of us don't.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top