Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 7:34:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 2:08:46 PM EDT by pattymcn]
A couple of months ago I wrote two checks. One to JC Pennys and one to Costco. I wrote them the same day but I wrote one in-between them so they're not in consecutive order. Neither have cleared. I'm a little worried and annoyed with them not clearing. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Patty

Update 03/30/06 I went in to my bank and complained about the two checks that haven't cleared. Bank Manager told me that the Federal Reserve has lost several checks [some of hers included] and that it could take a few more months for them to decypher which ones they lost. Funny thing she says that the companies that I wrote the checks to have already been paid.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:53 AM EDT
I find my checks to Costco take significantly longer to clear, the Costco in my area doesn't have check readers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:38:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By w4klr:
I find my checks to Costco take significantly longer to clear, the Costco in my area doesn't have check readers.

That's odd typically it only takes 3-4 days for my checks to clear from Costco. Patty
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:00:18 AM EDT
I write about 5,000 checks for work for my employer and several customers each month. Checks that are cashed but don't show-up on your statement happens very often. Almost always the banks will eventually catch the error. That's true of most bank errors.z
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:41:31 AM EDT
My mother-in-law si the worst about this. I have had checks outstanding for 8 months before before they clear.

Fine with me though. It is easy to track them in Quicken, and I get to earn interest on them until they are drawn.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:43:35 AM EDT
Give them time. Sometimes it gets lost until they do an internal audit and all of a sudden they will cash it and it will clear. Then you get big hole in your bankaccount!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:19:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Give them time. Sometimes it gets lost until they do an internal audit and all of a sudden they will cash it and it will clear. Then you get big hole in your bankaccount!

Yes, I agree. I've set aside the transactions but I worry about them being lost and in the wrong hands.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:20:56 PM EDT
So is there actually a time period after which the check is no longer valid?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:08:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:21:12 PM EDT
I try to use on-line bill payment whenever possible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:27:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

I don't know.

alot of em have dates, in fact I just cashed a paycheck this afternoon, that was almost expired....

( yeah send me a check a month after seasonal layoff mixed in with a bunch of paperwork.... luckily i found it when doing my taxes...)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
Payroll checks are typically 90 days. The limit is 2 years if not otherwise stated IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:34:10 PM EDT
Billpay and Direct Deposit. Very rarely do I write a check for anything.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
These were things I purchased at a store. Costco for groceries [almost $400] and JC Penneys for clothes for the kidlets. [$40 & Change].
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:26:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
These were things I purchased at a store. Costco for groceries [almost $400] and JC Penneys for clothes for the kidlets. [$40 & Change].

ATM/EBT card.
Top Top