Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 9:23:45 AM EDT
that keeps fading out and not working. Will turn it on a couple of days later and it will work for awhile then fade out again. Any ideas what is wrong with it? Tubes?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:29:43 AM EDT
is it fading out once it warms up? if so, tubes would be my first step.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:33:15 AM EDT
I'd try the tubes. Take them to the local drug store and get them tested. Oops, this is 2006 not 1966. I see you are in MI any where near Ann Arbor? I have a low end B&K tester that should find most problems, though it will not test at actual operating condidtions.

Kent
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:45:34 AM EDT
You can get tube testers on ebay for a reasonable price...

Or if you can find an olde-tyme TV shop, where the proprietor is like 98 years old, you can usually find a tester buried someplace in his mountainous piles of old equipment. Often, they also have caches of old stock brand new tubes.

We used to have a shop just like that here, till about 2-3 years ago. I guess ol' Jasin must have finally passed on. He was an extremely cool old guy.

If you do find a tv-repair shop like that, take your radio with you. You'll probably have the privledge of a few hours worth of stories as he tunes the rig up for ya.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:50:54 AM EDT
Tubes and electrolytic capacitors are the most likely culprits. Take it to a qualified technician and it should run trouble free for another 50 years.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:37:44 AM EDT
I am in Howell, mi. Is there a store in A2 that sells tubes?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:42:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 10:44:53 AM EDT by Johninaustin]
I didn't realize there was a collector's market for these things. I have a huge Magnavox shortwave in a cabinet with a record player on top. Is it worth selling for gun money?

(I have no idea if it works, I haven't it plugged in since the early 70's. I believe it's a 1950 model)
Top Top