Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 2:58:12 PM EDT
Texas Officials Shoot, Kill Charging Teen

Updated: February 28th, 2006 11:04 AM EDT

E-KEVIN GARCIA
The Brownsville Herald

Feb. 26--February 26, 2006 - A chase for a suspected teenage auto thief early Saturday ended in his death after police and border officials shot him several times at the B&M International Bridge, Brownsville police said.

Edgar Ivan Lopez had moved here from Atlanta just three weeks earlier to live with relatives in East Brownsville. He was 17.

"We are outraged for the way the kid was shot," Ovidio Serrato, the suspect's uncle, said in Spanish. "There are ways to detain an un-armed juvenile."

Brownsville Police Chief Carlos Garcia said police were investigat-ing a series of car thefts when they spotted two individuals enter a white Chevrolet Suburban at Omni Pavilion in the parking lot on the 1900 block of North Expressway midnight Saturday.

An unidentified 15-year-old male was detained at the scene, but Lo-pez drove off in the stolen vehicle, leading police officers on a city-wide chase, Garcia said. The arrested juvenile was not identified by police.

Travelling south on the 77/83 Expressway, Lopez exited on Sixth Street, following the frontage road to International Boulevard, turning left on that street, Garcia said. The vehicle turned again on Washing-ton Street, then 12th Street, heading toward the B&M bridge, Garcia said.

Several police officers, along with Customs and Border Patrol agents, were waiting for the Suburban when it arrived, causing Lopez to turn away in an attempt to avoid capture, Garcia said.

"He hits the curb, goes into the gas station and goes back around," Garcia said. "He tries to make a turn and get out of there but we cor-ner him."

He said agents laid Stop Stick tire deflation devices in the vehicle's path, causing it to travel into the fence that separated north and southbound lanes.

"Officers started approaching him on foot," Garcia said.

Lopez backed into traffic barriers and a golf cart before turning into another fence and toward a customs officer signaling him to stop, Garcia said. The agent got out of the way before suffering a serious injury, Garcia said, but officers felt the vehicle and driver had be-come a safety risk.

One customs agent injured his foot while escaping the vehicle's path.

"The vehicle accelerated towards CBP and BPD officers on numer-ous occasions," said Rick Pauza, spokesman for Customs and Border Protection. "The driver was basically using the vehicle as a weapon. ... Our officers, to protect their safety and the safety of others, fired at the vehicle and were able to neutralize the threat."

Two police officers and three customs and border agents were in-volved in the shooting, Garcia said.

Once activity in the vehicle stopped, officers arrested Lopez.

"He got hit several times," Garcia said. "We were able to get him out of the vehicle, handcuff him, call emergency medical services, and they took him to the hospital."

Lopez was pronounced dead at 1:40 a.m. Saturday after arriving at Valley Baptist Medical Center with no vital signs.

Traffic at the bridge resumed at 9:25 a.m.

Serrato said the family was aware Lopez had fallen with a bad crowd and were worried about his future.

"A friend offered him money to steal a vehicle; we don't know why he accepted," he said. "He came three weeks ago to live with us. He had a car, just got a job. He had a payroll check. We just don't under-stand why he accepted -- must be inexperience."

Brownsville police had been on the lookout because of a series of recent car thefts.

"For the past several weeks, we've experienced a serious auto-theft problem in Brownsville," Garcia said. "We've noticed that Chevrolet and GMC products are being stolen on average of three a day."

So far in February, 43 such vehicles were reported stolen in Brownsville -- most along the 77/83 Expressway.

Garcia said partly because of a confession from the 15-year-old in custody, police believe the pair to be linked to at least 15-20 other car thefts.

They expect to make arrests soon of other individuals connected with the suspects and to additional car thefts, Garcia said.

Representatives from the district attorney's office visited the bridge later in the morning to talk with officers and other witnesses. The attorney's office could not be reached for comment Saturday.

The investigation of the incident will be handled primarily by the Brownsville Police Department before information is turned over to state officials, but an internal review of the incident is being con-ducted internally by Customs and Border Protection.

Investigators would not say how many shots were fired or how many times Lopez was hit.

"We want to make sure we account for every round for every offi-cer," Garcia said.

The stolen Suburban is considered evidence, with multiple bullet holes and other severe damage, but it could be returned to its owner following the investigation.

Lopez had no weapons or drugs on his person but had a screwdriver and other tools that could be used to steal vehicles, Garcia said.

Employees of the Brownsville and Matamoros bridge were told by officers to defer all public inquiries to the Brownsville Police De-partment.

The family is just looking for answers.

"We want a full explanation of what happened, (but) nobody wants to say anything," Serrato said. "They know they made a mistake."

[email protected]

Santos Garcia of the Brownsville Herald contributed to this article.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#1]
They were just stealing the cars that americans don't want to steal and trying to run over the police officers that the americans don't want to run over.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm. Based on the available info, I'll say "good shoot."

Kid steals vehicle.

Kid flees from police in stolen vehicle.

Kid almost runs over numerous officers while attempting to escape in stolen vehicle.

Kid gets shot by officers who are almost run over by kid as he tries escaping.

Kid got what he deserved. Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
bottom line:

he will never steal again
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good, now deport his family to china.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Welcome to Texas
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]

"A friend offered him money to steal a vehicle; we don't know why he accepted,"

well, perhaps, because...

HE'S A FREAKIN CAR THEIF.

does anyone think this was his first theft?

"For the past several weeks, we've experienced a serious auto-theft problem in Brownsville," Garcia said. "We've noticed that Chevrolet and GMC products are being stolen on average of three a day."
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Second bottom line:

There's one more scumbag we won't be paying room and board for with our taxes.

Good shoot.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
fucking right. do that to every shitbag that breaks the law and this country will be on the right track in notime flat
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Por Que you dont do that Shit in Texas!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
good shoot.............and maybe someday the family will be able to buy a clue as to why junior fell in with the wrong crowd
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Too bad, so sad. One down so many more to go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Heh, Brownsville.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Car thieves should have their hands cut off...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
What sound did the bullets make when he was hit?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
One less dirtbag in the country.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh no..................dont go there

Quoted:
What sound did the bullets make when he was hit?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Kid steals vehicle.

Kid almost runs over numerous officers while attempting to escape in stolen vehicle.

During my Trauma Surgery rotation in med school they brought in 6 teenagers between the ages of 16 to 19 all shot up.  They had robbed a guy at gunpoint and took off piled up in one car.  The victim called the police and who caught up with the car.  They set up a roadblock ahead and the car went around it, nearly hitting 2 police officers in the process and ended up hitting a tree.  The police were not happy.  

The officers 'saw a gun' () and opened fire, hitting everyone in the car.  By sheer luck, no one suffered a fatal injury (Darwin was on vacation) mainly because they got them to the hospital so fast.  

One of the criminals suspects had a gunshot wound to the lower back with no exit wound.  They did a quick AP (front to back) X-ray and 'found' the bullet.  I saw it too plain as day.  I assisted in the OR and the surgical resident simply couldn't find the bullet or any evidence of it.  The suspect had an incision from his xyphoid process to his pubic bone, so it wasn't for lack of trying to find it.  

Back to X-ray and this time they did a lateral view.  No bullet.  

Turns out the 'bullet' they found on the original film was a bolt on the FD's stretcher.  The original bullet had gone through the car door, through the skin, hit the spine and bounced right back out.

So we got to play around with his guts and give him a big scar.  Oops.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe he was just troubled
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kid steals vehicle.

During my Trauma Surgery rotation in med school they brought in 6 teenagers between the ages of 16 to 19 all shot up.  They had robbed a guy at gunpoint and took off piled up in one car.  The victim called the police and who caught up with the car.  They set up a roadblock ahead and the car went around it, nearly hitting 2 police officers in the process and ended up hitting a tree.  The police were not happy.  

The officers 'saw a gun' () and opened fire, hitting everyone in the car.  By sheer luck, no one suffered a fatal injury (Darwin was on vacation) mainly because they got them to the hospital so fast.  

One of the criminals suspects had a gunshot wound to the lower back with no exit wound.  They did a quick AP (front to back) X-ray and 'found' the bullet.  I saw it too plain as day.  I assisted in the OR and the surgical resident simply couldn't find the bullet or any evidence of it.  The suspect had an incision from his xyphoid process to his pubic bone, so it wasn't for lack of trying to find it.  

Turns out the 'bullet' they found on the original film was a bolt on the FD's stretcher.  The original bullet had gone through the car door, through the skin, hit the spine and bounced right back out.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]
trying to run over police=getting shot=good shoot, what a dumbass
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:55:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Incompetent doctors!  I hope the misguided underprivileged youth sued you all and ended up living off your labor for the rest of his life.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#23]
they should have told him (in spanish) to stop.  The warned him (in spanish) that they would taser his suburban because there are better ways to stop a kid from stealing a car
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:05:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Texas Officials Shoot, Kill Charging Teen

Updated: February 28th, 2006 11:04 AM EDT

E-KEVIN GARCIA
The Brownsville Herald

<snip>"We want a full explanation of what happened, (but) nobody wants to say anything," Serrato said. "They know they made a mistake."

[email protected]

Santos Garcia of the Brownsville Herald contributed to this article.

Sounds more like the car thief made the mistake to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 Welcome to Texas

+1

TXL
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Kid steals vehicle.

You forgot "Kid jumps our border and lives in our country illegally."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]

boo hoo.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:32:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Sadly, this happened the very first time he tried to steal a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Time to deport his family
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Time to deport his family

And charge them for the ammo used to retro-abort the little fuck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
He was a nice young boy once, so sad, too bad, next topic.

"....excitable boy they all said..."
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Sadly, this happened the very first time he tried to steal a vehicle.

If only.

Garcia said partly because of a confession from the 15-year-old in custody, police believe the pair to be linked to at least 15-20 other car thefts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:44:48 AM EDT
[#34]
I hope the car wasn't damaged too badly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not for trigger happy cops at all, but what do you expect if you steal a car?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:45:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Justice Texas-style.....I like it!  Good shoot.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:20 AM EDT
[#37]
The need to charge the families for not only the bullets but the damaged suburban as well. Gonna have to pick alot of lettuce this season.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Let's see what the local government does when the "poor family" get a slick lawyer and whips out The Race Card.

Fold or flip-the-finger?

CMOS
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:25 AM EDT
[#39]
They used to shoot, er, hang, horsethieves, didn't they? Modern day horsethief deserves shooting too.

From the info provided, good shoot. Dumbass kid, Darwin takes over. I don't care what color he was, he was a thug.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Too bad, so sad. One down so many more to go.

Fixed that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I'm not for trigger happy cops at all, but what do you expect if you steal a car?

To be arrested.

If, however, you attempt to use said stolen car to ram police officers, you are using lethal force against them. And they will respond with lethal force.

So the answer here is:

1. Don't steal cars
2. If you DO steal a car, don't try to run over the cops with it
3. If you DO try to run over the cops, make sure your insurance is paid up
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Lopez had no weapons or drugs on his person but had a screwdriver and other tools that could be used to steal vehicles

I hate to inform them but a 4000lb car/truck can be and is considered a weapon if the driver was atempting to run over officers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Stupid hurts.

He made his bed and now he sleeps.  My prayers go out to the officers who had to stop the threat.  They have to live with what they did even though it was the right thing to do.

I bet crime drops for a while.  Also,  hats off to the firearms training instructors someone did there job for so many hits to happen.  A perfect example of interagency cooperation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
When will his family apologize to the public for doing such a shitty job?

Heheheh. Good one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Stupid hurts.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#48]

The stolen Suburban is considered evidence, with multiple bullet holes and other severe damage, but it could be returned to its owner following the investigation.
Ewwwww, I hope they get the upholsterly cleaned first.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#49]
OK, great. Now this only needs to happen about 15,000,000 more times and we'll be good to go.

All illegals should experience what that asshole kid experienced.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:08:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Kid steals vehicle.

and to the family that said:

"We want a full explanation of what happened, (but) nobody wants to say anything," Serrato said. "They know they made a mistake."

I say they should read the above quote from Wobblin-Goblin.

IMO, if he didn't want to get shot (at), he could have surrendered the vehicle any of several times before he chose to try and drive the vehicle THROUGH the police.

No Expert

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top