Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 10:27:14 AM EDT
The original contention was that women had no legal standing to bring a grievance against the school for firing her.

Loser of Bias Lawsuit Loses Again
Judge rules O.C. Islamic Society must pay legal fees for a woman who was fired. Meanwhile, the group sues its insurer over the case.
By Sara Lin, Times Staff Writer
February 28 2006

A Superior Court judge has ordered the Islamic Society of Orange County and two of its officials to pay $1.7 million in fees to lawyers for a woman who won a discrimination suit against the group.

Zakiyyah Muhammad, a convert to Islam, was fired after serving five years as principal of the Orange Crescent School in Garden Grove, which is run by the Islamic Society. A jury awarded her nearly $800,000 in September after she said she was fired for challenging her male bosses.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Islamic Society, meanwhile, filed suit Monday against its insurer, the Chubb Insurance Group, saying the company should have accepted a proposed settlement of $900,000, which included attorneys fees. Chubb has told the society that its $1-million insurance policy was eaten up by attorneys fees at the trial and that it must pay the $2.5 million.

"We're saying, 'Hey wait. You should've settled this for us. Instead, you forced us into a lawsuit we didn't want,' " said Jordan Stanzler, the Islamic Society's attorney in the new case.

Chubb representatives declined to comment, saying they were unaware of the suit.

Muhammad sued in 2004 after run-ins a year earlier with Fazal Mirza, the new school board president. Muhammad said her case highlighted a cultural divide between U.S.-born Islamic women who believe they are equal to men, and Islamic immigrants from Asian and Middle Eastern countries, where women often are considered subservient.

Muhammad said in her suit that Mirza had secretly planned to replace her with the vice principal, a Pakistani immigrant, and that Mirza verbally attacked her at a school board meeting and then refused to apologize. Muhammad asked for a hearing before the Majlis-e-Shura, the society's governing board. Shortly afterward, on Sept. 16, 2003, she was fired.

On the eve of the trial, Muhammad accepted a mediator's proposal to settle for $900,000. The Islamic Society's lawyer, who worked for Chubb, recommended the insurance company accept the proposal. Chubb rejected the offer and replaced its in-house attorney with a lawyer from the international firm Seyfarth Shaw.

After a 35-day trial, a jury sided with Muhammad and ordered the Islamic Society, Mirza and board treasurer Refat Abodia to pay Muhammad $788,000, which included punitive damages of $130,000.

"When that case came in the door, we agreed to take it, thinking it would settle immediately," said Ed Connor, Muhammad's attorney. "The conduct was so outrageous that we thought no one in their right mind would defend it."

Judge Corey S. Cramin on Thursday ordered the Islamic Society to pay Connor's fees, awarding him $50 an hour more than he had requested for "exceptional competence exhibited at trial and the positive result on the relevant issues."

Such bonuses to attorneys are common in discrimination cases because they provide incentives for lawyers to take cases that might not appear financially attractive, said Diane Karpman, a legal ethics expert.

"The courts want to encourage lawyers to bring discrimination claims like this because the claims themselves have a benefit to society," she said.

Representatives of the Islamic Society did not return calls Monday. Connor said the group owned property it could sell to cover the judgments. The society has posted enough money with the court to cover Muhammad's $800,000 judgment while it is appealed, he said. The suit against Chubb seeks punitive damages as well as costs of the judgment, appeals and attorneys fees.

"They were gambling that they could win, but gambling with our money," Stanzler said.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Inshalah.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]

She's lucky they didn't behead her instead of just fire her.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

I love it when my more backwards brothers in Islam get their tribal mentality knocked the fuck out. Nothing makes me as happy as seeing a  Salafi cry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#4]
"Backwards brothers in Islam?" I thought you once wrote "all religion is shit?" Sorry if I have you mixed up with someone else...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

I love it when my more backwards brothers in Islam get their tribal mentality knocked the fuck out. Nothing makes me as happy as seeing a  Salafi cry.

Ummm, the Islamic society wanted to settle.  It was their insurance company that forced the retrial.

You should be bitching about backwards insurance company assholes, not about the Islamic Society.  Unless of course you're just being a bigoted prick, in which case you can write whatever you like, .
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

Ummm, the Islamic society wanted to settle.  It was their insurance company that forced the retrial.

You should be bitching about backwards insurance company assholes, not about the Islamic Society.  Unless of course you're just being a bigoted prick, in which case you can write whatever you like, .

Now you're eating your own!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

You're right.  The Islamic Society only lost the first trial.  Chubb lost the second.  I'd sue them too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

Ha ha fuckers went over their limit, and then some. They should've purchased higher limits if they wanted to behave like they lived in a seventh-century third-world shit hole.

Unless they have any money to sue Chubb they are SOL. Chubb makes Halliburton look like a small business.

Nice personal attacks, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#9]
It is Allah's will that they lose the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Inshalah.....

more like Al-Hamdulillah

I am Muslim, chill dude. I enjoy seeing Salafis get screwed for the shit they pull; I know that this isn't a very "Muslim" thing at all, but I really do wish that ibn Wahhab never existed and that his followers would just disappear.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am Muslim, chill dude. I enjoy seeing Salafis get screwed for the shit they pull; I know that this isn't a very "Muslim" thing at all, but I really do wish that ibn Wahhab never existed and that his followers would just disappear.

My apologies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top