Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 9:44:41 AM EDT
Ok, I got my new machine in yesterday and have been busy putting it together and updating everything. This is my first box with a DVD ROM and a Burner. The company I got the box through sent an OEM copy of PowerDVD 5, but I can't get it to play, nor can I get windows media player 10 to play any of my movies!

Help, there has to be an eiser way!

556mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your computer come with a default DVD player?  I don't think windows media player plays any DVD's and Power DVD kinda sucks( i think).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
That is what it came with, and me thinks you are right!

556mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Anybody got any sugestions for me?

556mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you see/access the drive under "my computer" or in explorer. If so then your drive is not the issue and it's  a software problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you install PowerDVD yet? Any problems during the installation? Did you reboot after the installation? Microsoft XP doesn't come with a software DVD decoder, you have to buy and install a third party one - like PowerDVD, WinDVD, the one from Nvidia or any of the countless others. Once (successfully) installed you can now play DVDs using either something like PowerDVD -or- even use Microsoft Mediaplayer.

When you try to play the DVD using Mediaplayer, does it give you an error message? Without a DVD decoder installed it SHOULD.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
You sure your computer doesn't have a regular defualt DVD player (not Power DVD).
I have a "DVD player" program (WinDVD 4) and Power DVD.  I don't use the Power DVD.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
what he said.
What brand computer is it? are you using new DVD's or copied ones (dvdrw?)
chances are power DVD isn't installed yet on your computer, if your DVDplayer can tell in my computer that there is a DVD in the drive, I agree it's a software issue.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anybody got any sugestions for me?

556mm

Well first make sure the media player is set up as your default DVD player.

Put a DVD in the drive and select "Open with..." and choose a program.

Then get yourself a copy of Nero Showtime or WinDVD. PowerDVD sucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Open Media Player, select "DVD, VCD, CD audio" from the Play menu.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, PowerDVD sucks A$$! Looks like it is a the software, media player can't play it neither. The media player error message talks about codecs, so  Iguess I need to get some new software.

So what is the best DVD software that want bankrupt me( I spent all my pennies on the machine!)?

Thanks,
556mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yep, PowerDVD sucks A$$! Looks like it is a the software, media player can't play it neither. The media player error message talks about codecs, so  Iguess I need to get some new software.

So what is the best DVD software that want bankrupt me( I spent all my pennies on the machine!)?

Thanks,
556mm

www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Thanks,
556mm

Where are you in FL? I could maybe bootleg a copy of Nero Showtime.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
556mm

I live in Lake Alfred, right in the middle between Tampa and Orlando!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
556mm: You need to download the CODEC(compression/decompression) software, and that should do the trick.  It looks like the factory overlook this little part.  Do a Google and find the correct CODECs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
556mm

I live in Lake Alfred, right in the middle between Tampa and Orlando!

Too far, I'm in Broward.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did you install PowerDVD yet? Any problems during the installation? Did you reboot after the installation? Microsoft XP doesn't come with a software DVD decoder, you have to buy and install a third party one - like PowerDVD, WinDVD, the one from Nvidia or any of the countless others. Once (successfully) installed you can now play DVDs using either something like PowerDVD -or- even use Microsoft Mediaplayer.

When you try to play the DVD using Mediaplayer, does it give you an error message? Without a DVD decoder installed it SHOULD.

Good luck.

+1 on this.  I use WinDVD since it came with my (Dell) computer and I am happy with it.  My father-in-law also got a Dell.  It was a different model and year, but it didn't have a DVD decoder codec installed.  I loaded WinDVD onto his as well, since it should have been there in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn!, thanks anyway there SteyrAUG. I was just looking over my paperwork and I forgot about getting Nero 7 Ultra edition for free with this pc, only problem is it's on backorder, along with my speakers and a free game.

Oh well, guess i'll just have to wait a little longer, lol.

thank you all for the info,
556mm
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#19]
download the codecs. if you try to use windows media player, it should prompt you to let it search for the proper codecs from the web. if not just use a link above to install latest codec pack.
mike

www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/9series/playererrors.aspx
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#20]
You're doing something wrong because it should play.  Cyberlink PowerDVD is a good player (I like it better than WinDVD), and once you install it, you have an MPEG2 codec loaded on your system and Windows Media Player will then also play DVDs.

ETA - if you think you've gotten a bad copy of PowerDVD, then check out Ulead DVD player 1.0, available on FOSI's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 to FOSI
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Just go download and install Divx player...... it's free and works fine.

www.divx.com/divx/play/download/?hp3playdl
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Minor thread hijack since all the laptop DVD gurus are watching.

When I bought my laptop about 5 years ago, playing long DVDs was sometimes a drag because they would start pausing every so often, play a little further, and then pause.

I could never see a perfect pattern as to when the problem would happen, but it almost always happened after playing for at least an hour.

What causd this problem and are laptops any better now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#24]
five2one: I get that also on my cheapo DVD-ROM player desktop computer that is 2 years old.  When I bought a newer up to date DVD burner/player, hestation went away.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top