BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Capt. Kangaroo was a Marine on Iwo Jima with Lee Marvin. Both were wounded.
Mr. Rogers climbed the cliff at Point de Hoc, Normandy with 2nd Rangers.

Capt. Kangaroo and Lee Marvin was a Marine, but they weren't on Iwo Jima together.
Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo) joined the Marines too late and never saw any combat in WWII.

Mr. Rogers was never in the military.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Arnold Schwarzenegger did his conscript service in Austria as a M47 Patton tank crew.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A whole bunch of those guys listed are still hollwood liberals.
I guess just because you served in the military does not mean you are a member of the GOP.

Not to demean, in any way, anyone's service, but when the draft was still around there were a lot of people who did not want to be there and carried their bitterness about it to the rest of their life.  Others were drafted and just considered it part of life and moved on.  Still others were drafted and learned to value the military, even if they didn't want to be there.  Not much different than the population at large I imagine.

There are probably fewer liberals at large in the volunteer military than back when, but even then it would be hard to get actual #s because like conservatives on campuses, they probably learn quick to keep their mouths shut.

Again, not to demean anyone's service, but during the Vietnam War, some people enlisted because they didn't want to be drafted.  If one got a low lottery number, enlistment meant the good possibility that one wouldn't end up carrying a rifle in a rice paddy.  And it was the smart move, one of my friends ended up in Air Force Intelligence.  Who wants to get killed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit: already covered.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ice-T was a leg grunt (saw an interview, he was talking about humping the 90mm recoilless rifle.) Saw another interview where he claimed to be a Ranger

Axl Rose wasn't mil, his tattoos were picked out for him by a consultant (I shit you not). I was on active duty when he broke into the scene, we all wanted to know if he was a vet due to that tat (35th Armor, IIRC). Wow...I even think I saw a post here on ARF by a dude who claimed that Axl was in...jeez

Ramsey Clark was a Marine? He should be stripped of that title, commie asshat.

Kris Cristoferson was a helo pilot, but I think he went to Ranger School.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not a "hollywood actor" but a NFL football player.

Pat Tillman.

Here's another post for Pat, a real American Hero.  

I will be the first to say, he was easily the best my generation had to offer.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a "hollywood actor" but a NFL football player.

Pat Tillman.

Here's another post for Pat, a real American Hero.  

I will be the first to say, he was easily the best my generation had to offer.

+1

I guess his bro is still in? Anybody know?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Capt. Kangaroo was a Marine on Iwo Jima with Lee Marvin. Both were wounded.
Mr. Rogers climbed the cliff at Point de Hoc, Normandy with 2nd Rangers.

I had no idea about James Earl Jones, but he is a badass no doubt, so that makes sense.

Somewhat an internet rumor. Marvin was WIA at Saipan, shot in the ass almost lost his sciatic nerve.

I don't know about the Captain, though.

ETA Eddie Albert was a real hero at Tarawa. Navy salvage officer, saved a bunch of Marines.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought montel williams was in the army?  Christ, if he was my CO I don't know what I'd do...

I heard he was retired Navy?

Not only Nave but an officer too.

Dont forget Jesse Ventura, NAVY SEAL.

Actually, I think there was some controversy about that. IIRC, he never actually became a SEAL, he was UDT, but never got SEAL qualified. He was deployed to 'Nam with UDT 22 I believe...

From what I heard is that he went to BUDS but was assigned to a UDT team. SEALs consider him to be a SEAL from what I've read.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought Brian Dennehy was an infamous Vietnam Vet imposter?
Richard Chavez, he played Ramirez in "Predator". USMC, and a REAL Vietnam Vet!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Shaggy - "Mr. Boombastic," dancehall-reggae artist - United States Marine Corps - 5th Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment, Kuwait, Operation Desert Storm 1991.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Elvis!!!  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:18:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Elvis!!!  

Yes. Elvis was drafted. Colonel Parker was going to try and pull strings to get Elvis off the hook, but Elvis insisted he was no better than anybody else and went. IIRC, he served in Germany.

I had an old SSG in my outfit that claimed to have served where Elvis was stationed. Said he was the only PFC to have a Caddy for getting around with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Not an actor but MC Hammer besides being ultra-fashionable was a sailor
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I believe Kris Kristofferson was a Ranger?

Helicopter Pilot
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:43:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought montel williams was in the army?  Christ, if he was my CO I don't know what I'd do...

Montel Williams was an enlisted Marine, went to the Naval Academy, and chose the Navy upon graduation.  He served on subs, I think as an intel officer versus a nuc officer.

I've heard Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit was enlisted in the Navy, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Also, Jimi Hendrix was in the Army, and Airborne!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I think there was some controversy about that. IIRC, he never actually became a SEAL, he was UDT, but never got SEAL qualified. He was deployed to 'Nam with UDT 22 I believe...

From what I heard is that he went to BUDS but was assigned to a UDT team. SEALs consider him to be a SEAL from what I've read.

its real complicated i believe, UDTS were change into seals, with a somewhat different training regime during that period. So he was effectively a seal, or would ahve been if he had gone through training a year or so later. Everyone knows what seals ar, most people havent heard of UDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Its not too hard to see why the Navy considers Ventura a SEAL considering that the changeover from UDT to SEAL for many UDT teams came about when the men returned to work on a monday only to find that their official letterhead on their paperwork and the little sign outisde the office had been changed from UDT to SEAL.

Other then that, it was business as usual.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Not an actor, but Ron Moore of BSG TNS was in the USN.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I thought Brian Dennehy was an infamous Vietnam Vet imposter?

He was.

He was a real Marine but never in combat and never went to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Elvis!!!  

Yes. Elvis was drafted. Colonel Parker was going to try and pull strings to get Elvis off the hook, but Elvis insisted he was no better than anybody else and went. IIRC, he served in Germany.

I had an old SSG in my outfit that claimed to have served where Elvis was stationed. Said he was the only PFC to have a Caddy for getting around with.

The 3rd Armor Division Museuem in Frankfurt, Germany (must be closed now) had an entire section devoted to Elvis.  He served at Friedberg, northeast of Frankfurt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Dr. Ruth Westheimer, IDF Sniper WIA by shrapnel in the Six Day War.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Brian Dennehy (USMC) lives right up the road from me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A whole bunch of those guys listed are still hollwood liberals.
I guess just because you served in the military does not mean you are a member of the GOP.

Not to demean, in any way, anyone's service, but when the draft was still around there were a lot of people who did not want to be there and carried their bitterness about it to the rest of their life.  Others were drafted and just considered it part of life and moved on.  Still others were drafted and learned to value the military, even if they didn't want to be there.  Not much different than the population at large I imagine.

There are probably fewer liberals at large in the volunteer military than back when, but even then it would be hard to get actual #s because like conservatives on campuses, they probably learn quick to keep their mouths shut.

Again, not to demean anyone's service, but during the Vietnam War, some people enlisted because they didn't want to be drafted.  If one got a low lottery number, enlistment meant the good possibility that one wouldn't end up carrying a rifle in a rice paddy.  And it was the smart move, one of my friends ended up in Air Force Intelligence.  Who wants to get killed?

Just an FYSA - the percentage of volunteers in the Army was twice as high in the Vietnam era as it was in the WWII era.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Dan Blocker (aka Hoss Cartwright) was a rifleman with the 45th ID 179th Inf. in Korea.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gene Hackman was a marine.

IS a Marine.  

I heard Gene Hackman lied about his age when he joined the Corps? he was only 16 years old when he went through boot camp and when the Marine Corps found out, they walked him to the front gate and cut off his uniform with scissors as a sign of disgrace.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gene Hackman was a marine.

IS a Marine.  

I heard Gene Hackman lied about his age when he joined the Corps? he was only 16 years old when he went through boot camp and when the Marine Corps found out, they walked him to the front gate and cut off his uniform with scissors as a sign of disgrace.

And President Harry S.Truman awarded the Medal of Honor to a 16 year old Marine that survived jumping on a grenade at Okinawa. The young Marine was 15 years old when he did this.

Some fucking disgrace.  If this is true, I'll respect Gene Hackman.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Barry Corbin (Maurice Minnifield from Northern Exposure) USMC.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top