Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:31:11 PM EDT
Would it be legal to take a shotgun, remove the stock, add a pistol grip, shorten the barrel to SBS lengths, and register it as an AOW?, or would it still be an SBS?.... If it's an SBS than where do these AOW shotgun pistols come from?, do you have to start with a reciever that was never assembled into a shotgun?.... If so where can you get a stripped shotgun reciever that was never built into a shotgun?....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:37:22 PM EDT
BTT

...because I have been wondering the same thing. A local store has a pistol shotgun I like but its $800. Way too much. I have been looking into other options without finding much.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:34 PM EDT
I was told that if you convert it, it will be a $200 stamp anyways, so you might as well go SBS
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:04 PM EDT
I believe an AOW can never have had a buttstock on it.
I suppose if you find a pistol grip one to start with you could do it..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 9245:
Would it be legal to take a shotgun, remove the stock, add a pistol grip, shorten the barrel to SBS lengths, and register it as an AOW?, or would it still be an SBS?.... If it's an SBS than where do these AOW shotgun pistols come from?, do you have to start with a reciever that was never assembled into a shotgun?.... If so where can you get a stripped shotgun reciever that was never built into a shotgun?....

No, its a SBR, if it origionally came from the factory with a stock then its an SBR, if it was a factory pistol grip shotgun it can be an AOW
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 52brandon:
I was told that if you convert it, it will be a $200 stamp anyways, so you might as well go SBS

Not an option in Michigan no SBS, or SBR allowed....

So what models of shotguns came from the factory with pistol grips for a reasonable price that can be converted into AOW's?....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 3:07:05 PM EDT by ANGST]

Originally Posted By 9245:

Originally Posted By 52brandon:

Not an option in Michigan no SBS, or SBR allowed....

So what models of shotguns came from the factory with pistol grips for a reasonable price that can be converted into AOW's?....

Mossberg 500 "Cruiser" and the Mavrick 88 version

Remington 870s are around but hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:14:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ANGST:
No, its a SBR, if it origionally came from the factory with a stock then its an SBR, if it was a factory pistol grip shotgun it can be an AOW

Is it just me....or is the law completely retarded?!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:49:00 PM EDT
Why bother with registering any weapon as an AOW? The manufacture tax stamp costs the same -- $200 -- whether it's an AOW or an SBS/SBR.

The only benefit to an AOW is the $5 TRANSFER tax stamp. So, if you want an AOW, why not just go to Serbu, or some other C2 manufacturer, and buy one from them.

If you want to do it at home, SBS is the way to go. You can always run just a pistol grip if you want to, but then again, you'll want a proper shoulder stock and with an SBS, you can do this.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:55:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JC_Conn:
Why bother with registering any weapon as an AOW? The manufacture tax stamp costs the same -- $200 -- whether it's an AOW or an SBS/SBR.

The only benefit to an AOW is the $5 TRANSFER tax stamp. So, if you want an AOW, why not just go to Serbu, or some other C2 manufacturer, and buy one from them.

If you want to do it at home, SBS is the way to go. You can always run just a pistol grip if you want to, but then again, you'll want a proper shoulder stock and with an SBS, you can do this.

Jeremy

Like I said in the other post SBS's, and SBR's are forbidden to us mere peasnts in Michigan, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to a factory AOW....
Top Top