Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 9:48:45 AM EDT
This is for the military members on here:

So I'll be commissioning in May and will be TDY to Maxwell AFB for ASBC and then Columbus for UPT.  I know I have to store all weapons with the armory while in the dorms/billeting rooms but does that go for my ammo as well?  

Also, have you guys ever had TMO (or whatever you call the government movers) ship your weapons when PCS'ing?  I was planning to take all firearms in my car but was considering letting them do it...  Little nervous though... not sure if I want some random guy handling my $1500 "investment".
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, I would not allow anyone transport my firearms/ammo for me.  My last shipment was handled by a bunch of criminals who stole everything that they could.

As far as keeping your guns and ammo on base, my experience has been rather negative.  For instance, if you actually want to take your rifle/pistol out of the armory, you have to have written permission from your Commanding Officer.  Not to mention that the people at the armory will play with your toys and treat them no better than they would government property; poorly.  Expect to see scratches and even corrosion from sweaty hands.  I don't think that they would even allow ammunition to be kept there.  These are just some of my personal experiences.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on commisssioning!  I'm commissioning 13 May!

ASBC 13 June, then UPT *somewhere*

I'm basically in the same boat you are.  Tag for answers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#3]
talk to base security forces. rules are different at every installation.

I know of an Arfcommer that keeps MG's in his personal quarters on base. and it's fully authorised. but most bases require personal weapons to be kept in the armory.

my recommendation is to keep them in a locked case. Show the armory goons what's inside for inventory purposes, then lock the box.

I've never kept anything in the armory, and never will. I live off base for this very reason.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Well,

Looks like I'll call Maxwell this week and find out if they will let me store it in a locked case... if not I may leave them with somebody.  Don't feel like having the entire SF squadron playing with the ole girl.

Napoleon,

29 April for me but looks like I'm in your ASBC class.  I'll send you a PM and we can meet up at Maxwell... even though you're a hurricane... (That field goal finally went the other way Was just reading another post and there seems to be a lot more 2be2Lt's than I thought... I wonder if anybody else is going to ASBC...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Your weapns will probably wind up in  your unit's arms room.

Can't have a .mil member trusted with weapons!

Just ONE of the many reasons I always lived off base.

NEVER live on post, unless you are prepared to surrender ALL
your liberty.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your weapns will probably wind up in  your unit's arms room.

Can't have a .mil member trusted with weapons!

Just ONE of the many reasons I always lived off base.

NEVER live on post, unless you are prepared to surrender ALL
your liberty.

Yeah...that's pretty much it....now, if you live in BASE HOUSING...NOT BOQ, dorms, etc...you can usually keep them...I did...not problem..

...I don't know of anyone LEGALLY keeping their weapons with them while living in BQ, Dorms, Billeting, etc....not to say, that some don't, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not military, and God bless those of you that are. Anyway, an older man from my home town said he had his deer rifle on base when he was stationed somewhere or the other. Anyway, he had leave and was going to go hunting on some farmer's land nearby. He went and said he would like his rifle and the guy from the cage gave him an oddball look and said he would have to go look for it. When he gave it to him, he looked all nervous, and long story short, the barrel was warm and the bore dirty. He said that was the last time he let them handle his guns.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
If you live in the barracks it goes into the arms room if you are in transition quaters it goes in a arms room..if you live in housing it can stay with you..if you live off post no prob...ammo is the same as a fire arm as well as most large bladed knives that are not pocket knives...hell in someunits the air soft has to go into the arms room or is out right banned for soldiers to have depending on the comander....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So I'll be commissioning in May and will be TDY to Maxwell AFB for ASBC and then Columbus for UPT.  I know I have to store all weapons with the armory while in the dorms/billeting rooms but does that go for my ammo as well?  

Also, have you guys ever had TMO (or whatever you call the government movers) ship your weapons when PCS'ing?  I was planning to take all firearms in my car but was considering letting them do it...  Little nervous though... not sure if I want some random guy handling my $1500 "investment".

Maxwell will not let you keep guns in your billeting rooms (trust me, just got back from TDY there) nor will Columbus let you keep guns in your dorms on base (was an instructor there for 3 years).  Though you knew this.  Having said that.....a 6 week TDY, I would not worry about keeping a firearm or two in my room.  Just keep it hidden from house keeping.  At Columbus, I would consider finding someone to room with and live off base.  

As far as PCSing, I usually take my high dollar guns with me and let them take the junk/lower dollar guns.  Just lock it in a gun case, make sure they inventory it and so far I've had no problems.  But like I said I still take my spendy guns with me in my truck.  

Enjoy Columbus, you'll spend many a lunch at the little kitchen and profits porch.  And get plenty drunk in starkvegas.      
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm not military, and God bless those of you that are. Anyway, an older man from my home town said he had his deer rifle on base when he was stationed somewhere or the other. Anyway, he had leave and was going to go hunting on some farmer's land nearby. He went and said he would like his rifle and the guy from the cage gave him an oddball look and said he would have to go look for it. When he gave it to him, he looked all nervous, and long story short, the barrel was warm and the bore dirty. He said that was the last time he let them handle his guns.

I've heard those stories and won't keep my guns in the armory.  Most base housing lets you keep your guns but you have to register them....whatever.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to have TMO move my weapons to/from Alaska.  You can't drive pistols or EBRs through Canada.  I had no issues with TMO.  Lock up your actions, slap on a trigger lock, then lock the case.  Usually you only have to worry about TMO breaking stuff, not losing it!

For single AF officers not at UPT, you'll usually live off base.  When I was in Alaska, I lived off base and it was cool.

If you're single and going to UPT, you'll most likely be stuck on base in dorms, unless you're lucky like me.  I went to Vance and they were/are in the process of renovating their dorms, so I was fortunate and was able to get an apartment due to non availability.  You'll probably have a couple of married dudes in your class that you'll be able to leave your firearms with off base.

I wouldn't bring your weapons to ASBC, leave 'em at home or wherever.

I don't think I've ever heard of ammo not being allowed in billeting/dorm rooms.  If anything check the Air Force Inns website or call them up.  Ask for a list of prohibited crap.  If it isn't on their list, you're good to go.  (But whatever you do, don't ask them about ammo because the person working the desk will probably assume you aren't allowed to have ammo in there.)

Also, remember, if you have a disassembled firearm, its just "parts".  Nothing illegal about having firearm parts on base.

I checked in some pistols and a complete AR and an AR lower to the Armory at Tinker when I PCSed here (stayed at billeting for about a week).  The cop at the Armory told me the lower wasn't a complete weapon so he said just keep it (saves him paperwork and me some worry).

Also, if you do leave them at the armory, I'm pretty sure you can put your own trigger lock/action lock on the weapon so they don't fuck with it.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Move your weapons yourself. Not the movers.

The only time I let the gov't ship a weapon was when I went to Turkey. Sent a 12 ga shotgun (the only kind of weapon the country allows).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If I were you I would leave all of your weapons and big ticket personal shit at home or in storage until you are done with school and at your perment duty station.

At the most keep your carry piece.

Most military bases won't let you store firearms or ammo in the barracks.
Of course Officers have different rules.....

NAS Fallon has a weapons locker right outside the front gate for the guys in the barracks to store their carry weapons.
The rest they can put in the armory.

When I lived on board NAS Point Mugu in the barracks I had to store my weapons in the base armory.
I did this until one of my friends told me that they had been playing with my AR15 on the range.
I then moved all of my weapons into a friend on-base house, base regulations allowed this.

When I lived on board Mugu in base housing I stored all of my weapons in the house.

When I lived at Tinker AFB in the barracks I kept my guns in the base armory. This time around I pulled the bolts in the AR's, the barrels out/off the pistols and the triger group out of the shotgun.

I had so much ammo that base security and the armory gave me permission to keep my ammo in my room.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Maxwell will not let you keep guns in your billeting rooms (trust me, just got back from TDY there) nor will Columbus let you keep guns in your dorms on base (was an instructor there for 3 years).  Though you knew this.  Having said that.....a 6 week TDY, I would not worry about keeping a firearm or two in my room.  Just keep it hidden from house keeping.  At Columbus, I would consider finding someone to room with and live off base.  

As far as PCSing, I usually take my high dollar guns with me and let them take the junk/lower dollar guns.  Just lock it in a gun case, make sure they inventory it and so far I've had no problems.  But like I said I still take my spendy guns with me in my truck.  

Enjoy Columbus, you'll spend many a lunch at the little kitchen and profits porch.  And get plenty drunk in starkvegas.hr

YukonJack,

Thanks, definitely do my best to investigate liver failure during ASBC and casual....  I take it you were an IP at Columbus?  You wouldn't happen to know by when CAFB is going to be switched over to the T-6 by any chance??

I heard they were suppossed to be done phasing out the tweet by early summer 07.  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Movers will take the guns but not the ammo.  I would move the guns myself.  A better option than the base armory might be renting a locker at a local range.  Both the range at Camp Allen (private lockers, not a base armory) and at least one local gun shop offer such a service.  Someone from the Al hometown forums may be able to help you with a recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like I'll be keeping my weapons in Florida till I get to Columbus (if I can get off base housing)...  Otherwise I may lock/disable my AR and give it to the armory there.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
When I went to UPT (a long time ago), I brought my guns in my trunk and checked them in to the base armory.  Back then, new classes were required to stay on base until there wasn't enough room for the next arriving class, at which point you had the option of requesting to move off base.  I got off base housing as soon as possible, but you'll probably be stuck on base for a few months.  I don't remember what I did with my ammo.  The whole checking-in/checking-out of the armory thing got old quick (and I'm sure the SPs played with my guns while they were stored in the armory).  

Congrats and best of luck in the AF.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top