Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:47:39 PM EDT
Who just really didnt give a rats ass it was on?  I for one had better things to do.

When I was a kid it was so special when the US won and my heart would swell with pride when during the medal ceremonies.

Now I just see a bunch of whinners and losers with big hype and no heart.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a bit dissappointed with these Olympic games because there were a lot of negative aspects about this years US team, such as:

Johnny Weir: "I'm too princessy to live in the Olympic village", lot's of bitching after his bad performance

Bode Miller: All hype, BIG LOSER.

Lindsey Jacobellis: MORON.

Shani Davis/Hedrick: Lot's of publicized bitterness between these 2

Jeret Peterson: got sent home after a fight...way to go
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What keeps me from watching the Olympics are the professionals that take part in them now.

Hockey
Basketball
Baseball

That, and some of the lame events they have - synchronized swimming, curling, diving, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The speed skating was kinda fun to watch and the hockey was amazing!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well damn, it's olympics time again?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]
It is TEH SUCK!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of the underdogs nation can make them interesting.
This week i was in this fu**ing GREAAATTT city of Prague and watching a match of the national hockey team in a local pub was incredible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think a lot of that was the press trying to manufacture something for ratings. Davis came to cheer his teammates at a couple races he wasn't in. Just because the press says there's a fued don't mean there is.

Biathlon was a good one to watch. The last 15km race was fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I watched the Women's figure skating one night because I couldn't find anything else on.

The Olympics pretty much always come and go without notice in my house.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This week i was in this fu**ing GREAAATTT city of Prague and watching a match of the national hockey team in a local pub was incredible.

The Czech team beat their hated rivals, the Russians, I bet they were all riled up.

How were the hot womenz there by the way, we always enjoy an advanced hottie scouting report.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
just didn't see it...

Ididn't go looking but I would have been interested to see some events.  I guess since the time diference was so great I just never found when it was on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I couldn't care less about the Olympics, summer or winter.  Or golf or hockey or basketball or tennis or NASCAR or....

Except for one thing.  I'd like to point out to DK-Prof:

Germany: 29 medals
Norway: 19 medals
Sweden: 14 medals
Netherlands: 9 medals
Finland: 9 medals
Denmark: Ø medals

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Seeing Apollo Ohno take the gold in the 500m short track was excellent.

While there are some attitude problems (aren't there with athletes in every sport?) I still think the human drama is compelling.  I don't care what the nationality, I enjoy seeing young people realize their dreams.

At least they do something more worthwhile than sit in front of a computer and make inane observations aboiut life...  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm generally not as interested as I used to be because there are maybe more negatives and disappointments than I care to deal with but.....

Todd Ligety...Gold Medal...good attitude, young guy

Seth Westcott..Gold Medal...good work ethic, older guy who's been there and done that..Swiss GF won the gold that the Stupid American lost...a bonus for him....

Apollo Ohno...good attitude, some luck both bad and good (as usual in short track) team player who went for the relays with gusto.

The Flying Tomato...couldn't be more perfect as a US rep....

The top of the list should be Joey Cheeks though.  Donating his $40K in winnings to a charity about participating in sport.  Perfect, that's what this is all about.

The real "worst" about the Olympics is it's run by a bunch of elite eaters and world class freeloaders.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched some of it as I've been home sick lately.  

I had to watch it through the eyes of canada due to suck a@@ reception here.  Canada is most happy this year because they felt thier athletes tried to do well for a change.  It's funny they show the winners one through four and then jump down to 30 or 44 where the best canadians are.  It's funny and sad at the same time.

O well, with all the "me generation" US athletes I could care less to see them anyhow.  Maybe it's just me but I don't see the US athletes representing the country, I see them selfishly showing off and losing gold medals.  Dumb asses.  

SoS
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

While there are some attitude problems (aren't there with athletes in every sport?) I still think the human drama is compelling.  I don't care what the nationality, I enjoy seeing young people realize their dreams.

At least they do something more worthwhile than sit in front of a computer and make inane observations aboiut life...  

I kind of enjoyed seeing the US and Canadien Hockey teams get sent packing.  You could see both teams didn't "Want" the Gold, they were not hungry.   Nothing I can't stand more than seeing people go to the games without the "fire" to compete for their Country.   I enjoyed watching the Finnish team, who were complete underdogs, they were hungry and wanted a medal.  I didn't get to see the Swedish team beat the Finn's for the Gold but am happy three of my favorite Red Wings players score the only goals.

Caught some of the Speedskating and Biathlon, now those are some athletes in incredible shape.   The Luge, skelton, Bobsledding, and ski jumping are things I would have loved to do as a "indestructible" youth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Czech team beat their hated rivals, the Russians, I bet they were all riled up.

How were the hot womenz there by the way, we always enjoy an advanced hottie scouting report.  

Pfffffffff no word can describe them. Every pub/shop/street was filled with hotties hottest than you can imagine (but only blond and brunette i havnt seen any redhead). The beer in a pub (and i'm spaking of the true budweiser and pilsner urquell) is costing less than 1 buck for a pint,absinth even she is better and cheaper in France is not really expensive, you are surrounded by hotties and watching a very good hockey match. Trust me in this situation even if you hate olympics and hockey you will change your mind .
Now that i'm back in my little shitty town at 5kms of a village quarantined because of the bird flu i can see the difference.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw a few interviews with Emily Hughes, the 17 yr old alternate figure skater, she's a real sweetheart from what I can tell so far.  Really good on camera and a real class act.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
This Olympics can be summed up in one word:   curling.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

FWIW, I think a lot this so-called bitterness was just the media over-hyping a disagreement for the sake of dramatization and increasing ratings.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I didn't watch one minute of it....

and since when has sweeping with a broom been a sport?

ANdy

Since trying to knock over sticks with a ball was.

ETA: Since when was being a sport a requirement to get in the Olympics? It's about competition, not sport.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I think the Olympics are great... winter or summer.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I didn't watch one minute of it....

and since when has sweeping with a broom been a sport?

ANdy

They need to introduce darts, of course the game has to be played with the mass consumption of pints of beer.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I enjoy the speed skating and downhill skiing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#28]
them dudes in that 50 KM cross country race gotta have some awesome arm strength going uphill and down for 31 miles constantly pumping, by the time they finish their arms gotta be ready to fall off. that race was amazing!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Who just really didnt give a rats ass it was on?  I for one had better things to do.

When I was a kid it was so special when the US won and my heart would swell with pride when during the medal ceremonies.

Now I just see a bunch of whinners and losers with big hype and no heart.

When I am tired at nite, too tired to read a book, I channel surf.  The olympics kept me from surfing onto dog the bounty hunter.  

I did enjoy the speed skating and the curling (found it intriguing even if I am still trying to figure it out)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I watched the Women's figure skating one night because I couldn't find anything else on.

The Olympics pretty much always come and go without notice in my house.

Figure skating has really lost me over the years.  I remember pretty/nice outfits that match the song.  A routine that matched....skaters that showed their personality as they skated.  Now they go out and try to cram all the tricks into get the point and the music doesnt seem to mean much.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I watched them every night.  Even TiVo'd 24 to be able to watch the Olympics w/ the family.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yah it was.  Then trying to figure out the relay was fun...talk about organized chaos.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Women's curling for the win.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I watched them every night.  Even TiVo'd 24 to be able to watch the Olympics w/ the family.

I got pissy when they werent on and I wanted to watch.  There were enough events that it should have been on at all times.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was a bit dissappointed with these Olympic games because there were a lot of negative aspects about this years US team, such as:

Johnny Weir: "I'm too princessy to live in the Olympic village", lot's of bitching after his bad performance

All of the above but I still enjoyed things like womens figure skating (especially the two new kids on the US team), Shawn White and Biathalon.

With all it's faults the Olympics are still 10x better than stuff like the NBA, NFL, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife has been following the short track all week... but thats about it.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Dude she has an Asian fetish doesnt she.  Specifically a Korean fetish.  Because they dominate short track.  Now we know how you bagged her!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude she has an Asian fetish doesnt she.  Specifically a Korean fetish.  Because they dominate short track.  Now we know how you bagged her!

She was interested in ice skating when she learned I skated when younger.  She thought speed skating was boring but liked the short track's fast pace and excitment... and got hooked on it since 2002 Olympics.  You know she never even seen ice or snow until we got married... then she was up to her neck in snow for next 4 months

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#39]
the olympics were on? where was i?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

With all it's faults the Olympics are still 10x better than stuff like the NBA, NFL, etc.

So true.  So very true...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of the above but I still enjoyed things like womens figure skating (especially the two new kids on the US team), Shawn White and Biathalon.

Not really.  We cant even win in games that we should dominate like hockey.  We have to invent sports like halfpipe to win. Who made curling a sport?  Give me the NFL anyday.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really.  We cant even win in games that we should dominate like hockey.  We have to invent sports like halfpipe to win. Who made curling a sport?  Give me the NFL anyday.

I don't need the US to win in order to enjoy the Olympics.

And curling and a lot of crap is a joke no matter who wins.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Wow, have you ever seen such excitement over those 11 free CD's from Columbia House?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I couldn't care less about the Olympics, summer or winter.  Or golf or hockey or basketball or tennis or NASCAR or....

Except for one thing.  I'd like to point out to DK-Prof:

Germany: 29 medals
Norway: 19 medals
Sweden: 14 medals
Netherlands: 9 medals
Finland: 9 medals
Denmark: Ø medals

We totally suck!!  

It SEEMS odd, but there are actually two very good reasons for it.

Norway has giant mountain ranges, and extends into the arctic circle.
Sweden has giant mountain ranges, and extends into the arctic circle.
Finland has tons of lakes, and extends into the arctic circle.
... BUT Denmark has zero mountains, and is not anywhere near the arctic circle.  While the Danish weather sucks ass, and the winters are dark, long and unpleasant, you don't actually get a lot of snow, so there is literally almost no opportunity for winter sports in Denmark - plus, unlike holland, we don't have a whole lot of lakes or canals, because everything is close to the ocean, so Denmark isn't a big skating nation.  If a Dane wants to do winter sports, they go to Austria or Switzerland.

The second reason is that the Danish olympic committee is insane, and will not send anyone to the olympics unless they have a reasonable chance of winning a medal.  So unless you can place among the top 5-10 in the world in international competition, the olympic committee will not send you to the olympics.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wo don't dominate in hockey because so few americans play it.

The ironic part is that we have the bulk of the pro teams, but all the players come from somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top