Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:24:09 PM EDT
I recently purchase a 95 accord and I need to get insurance.  Can someone explain the whole car insurance game to me.... maybe recommend a company.  I know NRA supports AIG but their online quote thingy is broke.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Call a State Farm or AllState agent. Go see them and get EVERYTHING explained.
Don't do it the first time on the internet, unless you know what you need. Since you made this post I assume you don't know what you need.

One of my friends is now a State Farm agent. He saved me $2000/ year.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I use State Farm.  Stay away fomr the small fly by night outfits, the consequences of not being properly backstopped in an incident are way too great.

Each state has minimum liability requirements that you MUST meet to be on the road.  These will cover the other party if you are involved in an accident......fixing their car, fixing their injuries.

ETA: Having a GOOD insurance company will also help you if you are in an accident and the lawyers get involved.  They will vigorously defend you.  I smaller one may not have the resources to go to bat for you.

State minimum liability us what you have to have.  I carry comprehensive and collision too.  Comp covers the "act of God" stuff like hail damage and deer hits.  Replaced two windshields in my truck too, one was a rock from a truck, the other was a friend who decided to try and fit a 4x12 guitar cab in my front seat.  Over the years it also paid for hail damage on my truck, a deer hit, and a deer hit with my car that totaled it.  

I started out with liability only at the age of 20, with American Family.  It was $38 a month.  After 12 months, it climbed a little at a time until I was paying almost $100.  I never got any tickets or accidents, so I was like WTF?  I went next door to the State Farm agent, got a quote that was half what I was paying, added the collision and comp coverage, and never looked back.  State Farm is the best, and they have always been right there to take care of any of my claims.  I currently pay $101 a month for full coverage/comp and collision on a truck and a car, and renters insurance with extra coverage for my gun collection and jewelry.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently purchase a 95 accord and I need to get insurance.  Can someone explain the whole car insurance game to me.... maybe recommend a company.  I know NRA supports AIG but their online quote thingy is broke.  Suggestions?

I see large insurance bills in your future.

+1 on State Farm.  I've had my agent for 16 year now (minus 3 years in Germany).
No complaints, saving money even as we speak!

B_S
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
All I know is I can't stand collision (of course you might not have a choice if you need a loan). From what I can gather collision is you are esentially paying the intrest on a loan in advance. Last claim that anyone in my family had on collision the insurance company rased our rates and the increase in the rates times the length those rates were increased came out to the penny EXACTLY what the claim was for, and then then rates went back down. I certainly aint paying intrest on a loan I may never take (i'd rather get a secured loan of some sort at the time of an accident then pay intrest in advance.) I just make sure I have liability maxed out as high as it goes, too many (young) people I see put the minimum and I think it is a bad idea. The cost of repairing a car is cheap compared to causing permanent damage to someone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Man up and pull out the check book
Google can be your friend
Do the online quote thing from all the different companies and print them.
Find a local rep for said companies, don't show them the internet prices untill they have quoted a rate and ask why the difference. Make the agent work against the company, to get a commision you may be suprised what they can do.
But a local rep. is better if you have a claim.
But if you know you have looked at the other companies will get them to do their job and find you a decent rate.
Notice I dinn't say cheep, it don't happen, man up and pay.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Were you ever in the military?  If so, go with USAA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top