Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 9:04:20 PM EDT
Just awesome.

Link to larger version

btw... I see many faces and figures in this - a horse to the left and and profile of a bushy-mustached man to the center-right among many others.

I love stuff like this.  Cat's Eye Nebula is also one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Purdy
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Fascinating stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Far out.    Man.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I just made that my new wallpaper.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder how that formed in only 6,000 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I see ET's face on the right hand side. Can I sell it on ebay?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
We were born too early!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Because destruction occurs a lot faster than creation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We were born too early!

A-FRACKING-MEN!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice, but keep in mind that NASA tends to "refine" these pics (that is, they add color to make purrrrdy pictures).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Can we just enjoy His handiwork without making it a pissing contest?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1 me too
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 me too

+2
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Nice, but keep in mind that NASA tends to "refine" these pics (that is, they add color to make purrrrdy pictures).

Wrong.

Learn about color in Hubble pics here

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can we just enjoy His handiwork without making it a pissing contest?

+1

Stop trolling for an argument and just enjoy the show
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Um.....yeah, that link said exactly what I was trying to say. And I quote from your link:

"The colors in Hubble images, which are assigned for various reasons, aren't always what we'd see if we were able to visit the imaged objects in a spacecraft."

Regardless of the actual reason for adding the color, my point still remains....the picture you're seeing is probably a lot more purrrdy-lookin' than the real thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Um.....yeah, that link said exactly what I was trying to say.

No it didn't.

You said NASA adds color "to make purrrrdy pictures".

That's simply bullshit.

They don't just add colors to make it look "purrrrdy" - colors aren't just painted on to make this or that area pink or red or blue - they are obtained and assigned to print based on whatever is in the original image. For example our eyes don't see UV light and so in order to visualize UV light that is ALREADY THERE (as opposed to added in for effect), the wavelengths are simply shifted into visible realm and we are then able to "see" wherever UV light is.

Your simplistic statement that colors are merely added to make the picture "purrrrdy" is ignorant.

Take some time to read up on the pages I linked. You'll learn something.

Quoted:
Regardless of the actual reason for adding the color, my point still remains

Uhh... no.

Your point was that "they add color to make purrrrdy pictures" That is NOT the reason they "add" color so your point is wrong.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.

Um.....yeah, that link said exactly what I was trying to say.

No it didn't.

You said NASA adds color "to make purrrrdy pictures".

That's simply bullshit.

They don't just add colors to make it look "purrrrdy" - colors aren't just painted on to make this or that area pink or red or blue - they are obtained and assigned to print based on whatever is in the original image. For example our eyes don't see UV light and so in order to visualize UV light that is ALREADY THERE (as opposed to added in for effect), the wavelengths are simply shifted into visible realm and we are then able to "see" wherever UV light is.

Your simplistic statement that colors are merely added to make the picture "purrrrdy" is ignorant.

Take some time to read up on the pages I linked. You'll learn something.

Quoted:
Regardless of the actual reason for adding the color, my point still remains

Uhh... no.

Your point was that "they add color to make purrrrdy pictures" That is NOT the reason they "add" color so your point is wrong.

Whoah there, you're reading WAY too much into my original post. It's not like I'm trying to discredit NASA for some reason. "Purdy" is just a jokingly overly-simplistic way of representing all the scientific reasons behind the color additions. Yes, I read the whole thing, and I've been to a number of Mike Lynch's (famous meteorologist/astronomer/astronomy author) astronomy classes, and he's discussed this very subject. I KNOW what you're saying, you don't need to "convince" me. Again, my main point still remains the same: regardless of the reason for the color addition, these images are usually more dazzling in the pics than they would seem up close and personal. My second post was created under the assumption that your main "beef" with me was that I was claiming that the pics/real life images look different, not that I was being simplistic with the reasonings for the coloring. Only now do I realize that your actual problem with me is that I was too casual in my posting. I mean, come on, do you honestly believe I was trying to liken NASA to a postcard company?

Lighten up, Francis.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder what the actual color of that is.  Nasa photoshops them to bring out alot of the neet colors, but they call it "color correction" I bet its full alot of yellows and blues in reality.

after reading, it looks like someone else posted the Nasa color correction FACT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]
The horse is the coolest and easiest to see for me.  I saw it before I read your text.

I see faces and errr stuff everywhere though.  Ever since I read the book subliminal seduction in the mid/late 70s.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:52:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Bump for the diurnal crew.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1.  Mars isn't the "red" planet
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#26]
If you want to see that nebula, all you have to do is look up in the sky tonight if it's clear.  Look for a line of three average-brightness stars (you'll know it when you see it, it's the only thing like it in the sky).  Look below it for a very tiny line of three stars.  The middle star should look fuzzy.  That's M42.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for posting the image new desktop wallpaper as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:00:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I can't find the horse.

I did find a set of boobs!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#29]
NASA does tend to "process" their publicity images, but then this is common in the astrophotography communities, even among amateurs. Separate primary exposures, long exposure times, image stacking and filtering/subtracting are just a few of the things that are "normal". An astrophotography shot isn't "unaltered" unless the description specifically says it is.  

If you tweak the colors or apply various filtering techniques, sometimes you can visually bring out things that otherwise would be difficult to notice.
~
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#30]

This is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Mars isn't the "red" planet

Yeah, that was my first impression when I saw it. Remember that one night about 2 or 3 years ago, when Mars was as close to earth as it will be in our lifetimes? I got a chance to look at Mars through a high-powered telescope. I was surprised to see that it was in fact quite blandly yellow colored. Granted, our atmosphere was between the telescope and Mars, but it was still surprising.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top