Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT
I'venever been to a gunshow but obviously I've heard the term "gunshow loophole". What is that referring to?

Do they not check ID's and stuff? Reason I ask, is I'd like to maybe purchase a handgun (as well as a buddy of mine too), and I am not a resident of this state...

So, can I buy handguns at a gunshow out of state??
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'venever been to a gunshow but obviously I've heard the term "gunshow loophole". What is that referring to?

Do they not check ID's and stuff? Reason I ask, is I'd like to maybe purchase a handgun (as well as a buddy of mine too), and I am not a resident of this state...

So, can I buy handguns at a gunshow out of state??

1) Gunshow loophole : private sales between individuals, no paperwork required in most states.

2) Legitimate dealers at gunshows will still require you to fill out a 4473 and any other state mandated paperwork before you can take your gun home.

3) Legally, in most circumstances you cannot buy a gun in another state. One exception to this is (correct me if I'm wrong here) if you live in state A and work in state B,  I'm pretty sure you can buy a gun in either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#2]
gunshow loophole is bullshit, if you're a non dealer you have the right to sell your firearm to a qualified buyer depending on your state law FTF, either in a parking lot, your driveway, club, or gun show.

Federal law prohibits  you from buying a firearm from out of state, if you're traveling out of state and going to a gun show, contact your favorite FFL, get a couple signed copies of his FFL, buy the gun, pay for shipping, and you'll have to do the transfer in your home state from the dealer the gun was shipped to.  Or you can put a small deposit down, get back home, have your dealer send the FFL to the dealer that's out of state.  You wont be able to take it with you.  There's no federal ban on buying a long arm from a bordering state, but state laws may kick in and restrict that.  Best to google on your home state for gun laws, they'll be in the General Statutes.  NRA website has state and federal laws listed there as well but laws change every day so just use the NRA site as a reference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top