Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
originally this was only in the MN hometown forum but I decided to move it here because itchy trigger fingers seem to be all too common.
This happened a few months ago in near my hometown and this is the latest update. I wish more info were available but I can't find any.

about mid way down. not sure how long it will stay

Officer Shooting Update

No criminal charges will be filed against a narcotics officer involved in a shooting.

It happened on Main Street in Stewartville about two months ago.

Rochester Police Officer, Tracy Nepper was working with the Southeast Minnesota Narcotics Task Force while carrying out a search warrant.

Ray Schmitz says an third party investigation shows Nepper was moving her gun from one hand to the other when it discharged and hit a 21-year old woman.

Olmsted County Attorney, Ray Schmitz says, "She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately the weapon discharged."

Schmitz says based on evidence, officer Nepper did not shoot intentionally or recklessly as defined in Minnesota's law related to firearms.

He also says the woman who was shot, Andrea Ashley of Lake Mills, Iowa, has since fully recovered from her injuries.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Ahhh yea the usual.. it's ok for a cop to fuck up, just not everyone else.

"She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately she pulled the trigger and shot someone."
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I smell a huge civil suit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
originally this was only in the MN hometown forum but I decided to move it here because itchy trigger fingers seem to be all too common.
This happened a few months ago in near my hometown and this is the latest update. I wish more info were available but I can't find any.

about mid way down. not sure how long it will stay

Officer Shooting Update

No criminal charges will be filed against a narcotics officer involved in a shooting.

It happened on Main Street in Stewartville about two months ago.

Rochester Police Officer, Tracy Nepper was working with the Southeast Minnesota Narcotics Task Force while carrying out a search warrant.

Ray Schmitz says an third party investigation shows Nepper was moving her gun from one hand to the other when it discharged and hit a 21-year old woman.

Olmsted County Attorney, Ray Schmitz says, "She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately the weapon discharged."

Schmitz says based on evidence, officer Nepper did not shoot intentionally or recklessly as defined in Minnesota's law related to firearms.

He also says the woman who was shot, Andrea Ashley of Lake Mills, Iowa, has since fully recovered from her injuries.

My first impression is that the firearm discharged because she put her finger where it didn't belong, so she did, in fact, act recklessly.

I bet it was a Glock.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#4]
"It discharged"

It had it's trigger pulled by the officer, causing it to discharge. LEts not fluff this up with bull, OK?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Jack wouldn't ND
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds as if Ofc. Nepper had better get herself the best attorney she can't afford, since she couldn't keep her finger off of the trigger while transitioning, she  just handed every thing she owns and every thing she would have owned over to some druggie chick.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#7]
ECB
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The officer is Fooked.  Keep your finger off the trigger, beotch.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
A normal Joe would spend the weekend in jail for such a negligent discharge. The trained professional, held to a higher standard, is not charged. Gee.

Why does the hypocrisy of a civilian police force policing itself not surprise me? Because crooks, liars, drunks, sycophants and nepotists are same everywhere, that's why.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A normal Joe would spend the weekend in jail for such a negligent discharge. The trained professional, held to a higher standard, is not charged. Gee.

Why does the hypocrisy of a civilian police force policing itself not surprise me? Because crooks, liars, drunks, sycophants and nepotists are same everywhere, that's why.

Police are better than us civilians.  It is true, I think it is in the bible or something.  They are not even humans or citizens subject to our laws.  THey are our overlords and should be respected and treated as such.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A normal Joe would spend the weekend in jail for such a negligent discharge.

Sharing a cell with Cheney? When interviewed the officer stated the sun was directly behind the victim who she mistook for a small bird...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The weekend?

Wasn’t there a thread about a guy who was looking at 10 years for an ND that didn't hit anybody but went into someone else’s apartment?

(A non-LEO obviously...)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A normal Joe would spend the weekend in jail for such a negligent discharge.

Sharing a cell with Cheney? When interviewed the officer stated the sun was directly behind the victim who she mistook for a small bird...

WTF RU talking about, Willis? Cheney is not "A normal Joe" he is a member of the protected class.

Or do you plan on going to get mouthy with Cheney over a traffic stop, occifer? I'd like to see that for entertainment value alone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
ecb
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]

I always wonder about these statements. Suppose you got shot with a (presumably) 9MM or .40 cal. Assuming the bullet did something more than trim the hair on your arm, would you ever "fully recover"?  I have met a number of people who have been shot. IIRC, damn near every one had continuing long-term problems as a result.

Not to mention that it must be a scary experience, leading to PTSD in at least some people. It is probably something that would shape your behavior for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#16]
It keeps its finger off the trigger or else it gets the civil suit again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Olmsted County Attorney, Ray Schmitz says, "She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately the weapon discharged she negligently pulled the trigger."

At least let's describe it properly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ahhh yea the usual.. it's ok for a cop to fuck up, just not everyone else.

"She felt it necessary to take out a flashlight the flashlight was in a pocket that she couldn't reach with her left hand she transferred the firearm from her right hand to her left hand and unfortunately she pulled the trigger and shot someone."

+1.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#19]
C'mon everyone, she didn't mean to shoot the 21 year old woman.  Let's just sweep this under the carpet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#20]
dont deal, use, or hang out with druggies and your life expectancy will go up
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:36:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Ha!!! Back in the late 80's or early 90's, the Dodge County SO served a drug warrant on a kid, and just fooking shot him dead.  He was unarmed, there were no weapons nearby, and IIRC the deal was he "made a furtive movement" or something.  The family of course went bananas, but the officer who shot him in the grape skated no problem.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Don't post stupid shit, trying to deflect blame for the actions of one person putting a bullet into another person via negligent discharge and you will be thought of as more intelligent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Well assaultrifler, using your own logic here,  wouldnt we all be safer if we didnt hang around with LEO's?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well assaultrifler, using your own logic here,  wouldnt we all be safer if we didnt hang around with LEO's?

Especially clumsy, fumble fingered sows.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
dont deal, use, or hang out with druggies and cops with poor firearm skills and your life expectancy will go up

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The weekend?

Wasn’t there a thread about a guy who was looking at 10 years for an ND that didn't hit anybody but went into someone else’s apartment?

(A non-LEO obviously...)

I've been HEARING that "held to a higher standard" thing my whole life, haven't SEEN it happen much though
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't post stupid shit, trying to deflect blame for the actions of one person putting a bullet into another person via negligent discharge and you will be thought of as more intelligent.

Why did the Narcotics Task force show up in the first place?  To sell tickets to the Policemen Ball?

Anyway, looks like no charges will be filed
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, makes you less likely to get shot by a negligent cop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top