Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:58 AM EDT
Hello all,

From time to time I see that people ask about hi-points on this forum. I have never owned one, but I have seen both reliable ones(friends) and un-reliable ones(range). I was thinking about buying either a carbine, pistol, or both in 9mm to more or less review. I was going to document every round that went through the gun until it experienced a failure that put the gun out of commission. Now, has anyone ever done this? If so, is there a link?

Now, I'm not looking for people to bash or praise this gun, as I've read too many topics involving this. I just want to know if there's a doccumented reliability/torture test with these firearms.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of any documented reliability tests with a Hi Point.  There may be a reason for that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I saw a Hi Point pistol in the late 80s. I was surprised that the firing pin was also the ejector.

What? How does that work?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw a Hi Point pistol in the late 80s. I was surprised that the firing pin was also the ejector.

What? How does that work?

tag--i gotta hear about this genious design
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a carbine a few years ago. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't "tactical", but it was accurate enough (probably 3" at 30 yards or so) and would feed, fire and eject anything I put in the mag.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had a carbine a few years ago. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't "tactical", but it was accurate enough (probably 3" at 30 yards or so) and would feed, fire and eject anything I put in the mag.  

How many rounds did you put through it?

ETA: I just logged on to hi-point's website. I downloaded the manual for their 9mm pistol. It seems as though the firing pin and the ejector are different. It's funny, but this is the second website that I had heard that the firing pin and the ejector were the same.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:11 AM EDT
[#7]
My local Sherriff's dept. carries the carbines, and I shoot with 2 of the deputies on occasion. They were skeptical about them, but they said they run great and the only one that's fucked up is one that had a squib/obstruction and got KB'd. Hi-Point had a new one to them in a week.

Now, I don't own one, don't plan to, but I'm impressed with one thing about Hi-Point. Their warranty is a no-bs, lifetime warranty, even if you're the 5th owner of the gun.

I can think of a whole SHITLOAD of reputable, supposedly top-tier gunmakers that don't offer anything even close to that.

For a $150 rifle, that seems to work, that's something. And, they're made right here in Ohio by Americans. Shit, I just talked myself into buying one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
   Ha, I know of many stories where people have done nasty things to hi-points and returned them. Just the other day a friend told me that he actually shot his hi point several times and then tried to return it. They sent him a new one immediately. Personally, if I was the manufacturer, I would have told you to kiss your ass.  
  Now, I have another question. If no one has done it, I think I'll do a fully documented hi-point reliability test. Would anyone like to volunteer any extra ammo for a poor college student, lol? Now, as to the question, what should I pick to do the test, the 9mm carbine, or the 9mm full size pistol?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Like I said this was back in the late 80s. Hopefully they have wisely changed this design.

As I recall when looking over the pistol, when you retracted the slide and got to a certain point the firing pin locked and struck the primer, ejecting the round. God help you if you vigorously extracted and ejected a live round.

That does sound scary. I could just imagine a bullet with a light primer strike blowing up in the open chamber as the gun was being racked.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
    Would anyone like to volunteer any extra ammo for a poor college student, lol? Now, as to the question, what should I pick to do the test, the 9mm carbine, or the 9mm full size pistol?

I'm sure you'd be able to scrounge up enough ammo for a reliability test on a Hi Point.  I mean you can afford 100rds. of WWB for $15 right?

If you get a Hi Point get the carbine.  They are actually a decent gun (yes, I've shot quite a bit out of one)  Their pistols at least the ones I've shot are shitty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    Would anyone like to volunteer any extra ammo for a poor college student, lol? Now, as to the question, what should I pick to do the test, the 9mm carbine, or the 9mm full size pistol?

I'm sure you'd be able to scrounge up enough ammo for a reliability test on a Hi Point.  I mean you can afford 100rds. of WWB for $15 right?

If you get a Hi Point get the carbine.  They are actually a decent gun (yes, I've shot quite a bit out of one)  Their pistols at least the ones I've shot are shitty.

Jesus, 15.00 for 100rds of WWB! That's too rich for my blood. I'll take the 11.99 WWB at wally world,

ETA: That's also like 2 cases of ramen noodles! That's a week's worth of food for me. Ha, no I'm not really that poor. I just purchased all components necessary to build a G3 clone. It's made of actual HK parts save the receiver. Now, is it bad that I would rather buy guns and ammo than eat nice food?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I was guessing at price, it's been a while since I've bought 9mm.  So $12 is probably right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a carbine and I have put several hundred rounds through it without a hitch.   When my son comes home on leave, it's the gun he makes sure of goes to the range with us.  It's a neat little tactical carbine and it's next to my 870 in the bedroom.  For some reason I can aim it from the hip with ease.  Mine shoots as good as it is ugly.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:05:29 AM EDT
[#15]
My Tac-point on my Hi-point.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Learned something new again today; as I was not aware that it was considered acceptable to use the word "reliable" and the word Hi-Point in the same sentence.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:12:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Learned something new again today; as I was not aware that it was considered acceptable to use the word "reliable" and the word Hi-Point in the same sentence.

Mike

Several hundred rounds in my carbine and no jams at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:24:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
When are we going to get a dedicated Hi-Point forum?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:37:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Ooh yeah...I want to be moderator!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#23]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My experience and thoughts exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
    I just purchased all components necessary to build a G3 clone. It's made of actual HK parts save the receiver.

All Hk except the receiver!?! What about the 10 compliance parts? They need to be American there buba! Id hate to have your door kicked in in the middle of the night..
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
    I just purchased all components necessary to build a G3 clone. It's made of actual HK parts save the receiver.

All Hk except the receiver!?! What about the 10 compliance parts? They need to be American there buba! Id hate to have your door kicked in in the middle of the night..

I will definitely support american industry by purchasing those 10 compliance parts. Now, as far as the thread, I think I'm going to try the carbine.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I am not sure about thier pistols. I am a bit of a snob.
AS for thier Carbines, I bought one for shits and giggles.
They are by far, more accurate than 3" at 30 yards(it IS a 9mm).
After the first 100 or so rounds this thing has run flawless, just like my Glocks and my ARs.

You WILL NOT regret buying the carbine. Fun little plinker, and it WILL hit a 12" target at 100 yards with EASE.

You will have to break out the fine sandpaper for the .... er .... ummmm... Stoc.. no CASING they wrap around it. But it will be a great 150 dollar carbine. Just put a red dot on it and have fun.

matter of fact I got mine on the "for sale" chopping block, need some accessories for my new 2 Glocks (36 and the 26)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#28]
i have the carbine. its been a good little gun,only problem ive had is the pistol grip in front has a "crack" down the middle. dont know if it came that way or not dont care its good to go.at 100yds with out really trying i can hit that damn shoot and see everytime. my friend has one and it has never been cleaned and been shot forever. we were at ceasers creek range and he could not pull the trigger. took it home tore it down found that the pin for the trigger shifted to one side. we put it back in and its running good to go. i called hi point about my pistol grip crack and they said send it and it would be fixed no problem. hell its 150.00 bucks and it shoots ill keep the one i got. i did notice that with the muzzle brake they group tighter then plain jane.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many rounds did you put through it?

ETA: I just logged on to hi-point's website. I downloaded the manual for their 9mm pistol. It seems as though the firing pin and the ejector are different. It's funny, but this is the second website that I had heard that the firing pin and the ejector were the same.

I never really kept track........... I was in college at the time, and kept it in my apartment thru the week, and brought it home on the weekends. I'd say it was a pretty rare weekend when I didnt put 100 rounds thru it. I shot a lot of groundhogs and garden rabbits with it at my inlaws. It made a great "walk along the road" gun for shooting groundhogs in the ditches.I rarely cleaned it- I'd say two or three times in the three and a half years I had it. I maybe put 2k thru it.

It would be interesting to see a comparison between a 9mm carbine, and a 9mm pistol.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:41:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Tag for range report
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#31]
A friend and his buddy each have one. My friend's saftey didn't disengage all the way and jamed the gun on a hunting trip. I took it apart bent the saftey back and had to cut on the stock(flash left n the saftey notch) a little. No other problems shoots great.
His buddys had to go back. Don't know why. I think it was FTE.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got a HiPoint 45ACP pistol that runs flawlessly and is as accurate as any pistol I've ever fired. Several of us were shooting last winter down in the river bottoms and I was hitting a gallon milk jug, consistantly, at over 50 yards. This with 230 gr ball Winny white box.

Never had ANY type of malfunction. That with close to 1000 rounds through it. Now it has earned a digital paint job as a "learning tool", for practice before doing an expensive pistol.

I have a friend who has the carbine and have seen him shoot the shit out of it with no failures...and it's accurate enough for home defense.

Say what you will about HiPoint pistols....I KNOW what mine does. Although it's a tad big for CCW, I'd not hesitate to trust my life to it.....and I value my life!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top