Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thermocouple and some kind of device to record the temperature of the water.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Use a float. It could be connected to a rod that comes out the top, so you wouldn't have to penentrate the tank.

Hook it up like on a sump pump, with limit switches. They could be used to turn off the burner, or be used to add make-up water.

Why not just keep it simple.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
First off. Is it a water purification still? or a other use still

if its a still....not for water use, then you dont want it to boil at all, you want the temp to be 174 deg-F , 78c and not a bit higher. You dont want to go any higher than 180F, unless you want water vapor and other  crap in your finished product.  This is because ethanal boils off at about 174F.  You should install a PID temperature controller as an electronic thermostat that uses a thermister. You will have to penetrate the outer wall to do so though.

But if its a water purification still then you can just let the still go unregulated to a full on boil at around 220+ deg-F.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF IS THIS THREAD ABOUT???!!!!

He is building a still and don't want to burn out his electric heater element.

He should switch to gas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
btw, the professional industrial water purification stills use and electrode that is installed at the level they want the heating element to shut off at, then a relay will shut off the elements.

moonshiners back in the day would just measure the specific gravity of the wort to figure out how much potential alcohol was in the wort, say 18%. Then they would just run the still until they got the 18% +/- .5% out in spirits the shut down the still. Pretty simple math and chemistry.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thermal Imager.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sound or thermometer

A thermometer will not work.  The level of the water must be detected.  When the water boils off (no more turbulence) the device must shut off.

Weld a thermocouple to the bottom of the tank.  When the temp spikes up, the water is gone and you can shut off the heat.

My rice cooker works like that and so does my coffee pot, stone cold simple and utterly reliable.

If you have to know the level, an external sight tube works great.  You can put simple optical detectors at various points if you just want to know over full, full, almost empty, and empty.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You need to come up with a device that works on the weight of the tank. The tank will get lighter as water boils off.

When it gets to a preset weight have it shut off.

I am with this guy. You should have your incoming water supply linked to the weight of the tank.

+1.

I was pulling my hair out until I got to Thuban's post.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A slightly spendy method would be this:

It involves electronics and a computer.  Computer can be a $8 Microcontroller.

Thermocouple on tank lower edge.  Shape tank uniformly (not big at bottom, small at top).

The controller will read the temperature 10 times a second to "plot" a temperature curve. (in memory, a list of numbers).

Once 10 readings show the temperature to be higher on the curve, there is less water, and then have it shut off.

Total cost:  Thermocouple (depnds, $0.50 to $200, probably around $10)  Microcontroller - $8, Supporting electronics $15,  SSR (Solid State Relay) for switching Heating Element:  $30

I will quick draw a plot that the computer would look at:

arfcommer15.zoto.com/img/original/7a7b83e06ed361a9063d67daacfe0a8e-.jpg

The curve is very exaggerated, and the cuttoff would only be about 2 degrees up.

Plotting this could be done fairly easily with a PC Based Multimeter (works through parallel port), you can get the software for cheap to free.  Hook up across the thermocouple and support components, and have teh PC draw you a graph of the temp from cold to near boil to rolling boil, to dry (where the heat will spike).   Run that a few times, and you would have the data points for shutoff ready if you wanted to have it "computer controlled", it would then just be a  matter of 2 pins from your computer's parallel port out to the electronic board at the tank, and one to the SSR to control the heat.

you justy described a PID controller. $50 on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to work in a large distilled spirits production facility.  We used weight to detect whether the tanks held any contents; the more weight, the more content.  Of course, it helps to know the tare weight of the tank.  Scales are completely external/non-invasive to the tank, but with some simple math you can accurately determine how much liquid/mash is in the tank at any time.  Since you are really concerned with determining the presence/absence of liquid to cover the heating element, temperature doesn't matter.  If you think about it, your heating element could be exposed just as easily by an undetected leak in the tank as it could if the liquid boiled out the condensor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a scale.

Subtract the tare of the unit, dry.

When it reads zero, shut that bitch down.  Or hook up a switch so when the scale reads 0 it powers down
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Omega has a lot of nice off the shelf PID controllers that could be used in a manner like brass described.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this an open top tank or a pressure tank?

The tank is inclosed but the pressure difference between it and the outside is negligible.

If it is boiling, and teh tank is enclosed , it wont be TOO long before EVERYone knows, because
IT WILL BLOW UP!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just thought of a second method that would be MUCH Simpler and Very Accurate:

Where the steam escapes, put a water vapor sensor.  When the sensor falls below "high steam", cut off the heater.  Again, use an SSR, as mechanical relays are slow, they arc at the voltage/current levels we are dealing with on the heating element, and they never wear out.

Water Vapor sensor:  Simple as two wires mechanically held a short distance apart (1/8" or less, and parallel), and measure the resistance (it will be in the megohms, but there).  When the resistance goes to infinity, there isn't any more water vapor, and it would turn off the heating element.

Instead of resistance, you could measure the capacitance between the two wires (which would need to be small squares to be measurable).  Air has a much higher dielectric constant than water vapor, so when the capacitance goes up, it stops the heating element.  Instead of a microcontroller/computer, this could be monitored with a high frequency oscillator using a couple of op-amps (one for frequency generation from the capacitance leads, one as a comparator to trigger the SSR).  

The resistance method above could also be done with op-amps, keeping the total price under $10 if you have a decent grasp of electronics.

PLEASE tell me what electronics books to buy. Assume nothing. I'm serious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys,

I know the scale method is simple but I can't use it either.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A slightly spendy method would be this:

It involves electronics and a computer.  Computer can be a $8 Microcontroller.

Thermocouple on tank lower edge.  Shape tank uniformly (not big at bottom, small at top).

The controller will read the temperature 10 times a second to "plot" a temperature curve. (in memory, a list of numbers).

Once 10 readings show the temperature to be higher on the curve, there is less water, and then have it shut off.

Total cost:  Thermocouple (depnds, $0.50 to $200, probably around $10)  Microcontroller - $8, Supporting electronics $15,  SSR (Solid State Relay) for switching Heating Element:  $30

I will quick draw a plot that the computer would look at:

arfcommer15.zoto.com/img/original/e6083691b6f7484ad4566027b6b82dfc-.jpg

The curve is very exaggerated, and the cuttoff would only be about 2 degrees up.

Plotting this could be done fairly easily with a PC Based Multimeter (works through parallel port), you can get the software for cheap to free.  Hook up across the thermocouple and support components, and have teh PC draw you a graph of the temp from cold to near boil to rolling boil, to dry (where the heat will spike).   Run that a few times, and you would have the data points for shutoff ready if you wanted to have it "computer controlled", it would then just be a  matter of 2 pins from your computer's parallel port out to the electronic board at the tank, and one to the SSR to control the heat.

I don't think this will work.  I need to shut down before the temp rises (ie: the water is still boiling but the water level is low)

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok here is how to do it.. Surefire way..

Fill the still with water and turn on the heat..
While the water is heating get yourself the following things..
1-750mL bottle of Jack
3-fluffy kittens
1-1,000,00 mF capacitor

Now with the water heating proceed to pour yourself a big glass of Jack while charging the capacitor.. When the glass is full and the capacitor is charge start to juggle the kittens.. For every kitten you drop pound the glass of Jack and shock yourself with the cap..

When the bottle is empty and you have stopped and restarted you heart many times over....

LOOK INSIDE THE STILL AND CHECK THE WATER LEVEL!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Why can't you just watch how much comes out of the thing and use it to estemate how much is left inside.

It seems like you're making this much harder than it needs to be.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why can't you just watch how much comes out of the thing and use it to estemate how much is left inside.

It seems like you're making this much harder than it needs to be.

Because this thing is turned on and nobody watches it.  It is suppose to be automatic.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Poke a hole in the bottom of the tank.  If no water comes out, it's empty.

It'll work at least once.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
tie a string to an egg and then pull it out a few minutes later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#25]
WEIGH IT
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#26]
A pressure sensor on the outside (bottom) of the vessel to detect the weight of the vessel.  Calibrate it such that when the weight falls below your "safe" level, it turns the heat off.

What do I win?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]
tap on it and measure the pitch.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#28]
You can’t use the weight of the tank.

You can’t use a float.

You can’t use temperature.

You can’t detect the vapor.

You can’t use the conductivity of the liquid or any kind if internal sensor.

Did I miss anything you can’t do? We’re sorta running out of options here

I guess you could carefully control how much power your device pulls then do some calculations on how long it will take to boil the water off. That would work better if you preheat the tank and insulate it well. Then you could run the device on a timer. (I think a 1000 watt heater will vaporize about a quart and a half of water an hour.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]
WTF IS THIS FOR!?!?!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
WTF IS THIS FOR!?!?!

A small (household size) water purifier/distiller for turd world countries.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Instead of using a Calrod or similar resistive element, get yourself some platnium electrodes and use the resistance of the water itself to boil it.  Old vaporizers used this, except they didn't use platnium for the electrodes.  IIRC, they were just nickel.  You will need a large surface area to effect enough power.

Once the water level drops, the resistance increases and the heat stops.  Since I assume you are using AC, there is no electrolysis.  A little off gasing won't hurt the product anyhow.  But if you are powering it from your truck, you need something else.

Yes, the platnium electrodes are pricey but hey, you wanted it simple and foolproof.  You do know you will have a scale problem, right?  It won't hurt the electrodes but they will need pickling since the scale will act as an insulator.

BTW, distillation is the EXPENSIVE way to deionized water.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tell us why thermostats or pressure sensors will not work. Just saying something will not work does not give enough info for a work around.

The pressure difference between the outside and inside is not great enough for cheap, pratical detection.

Scott,

If there is no pressure differential, then you have an open vessel.  You can measure the level with a sight glass mounted to the side of the tank.  Even with a closed vessel, they make a pressurized sight glass and you can monitor the level.

With a sight glass, you can mount a detecter to the glass itself that can be used to trigger an alarm or a fill valve (or both).  As you don't want to penitrate the tank, mount the bottom of the glass on the inlet piping and the top to highest point in the exhaust line. You will have to have some inlet/outlet piping and it'll be easy to "T" to the lines.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#34]
You either got to provide pics or explain better, becuase there are only so many ways you can tell when water is at a certain level and then have a cut off switch do it automatically. You dont seem do want to do either a Analog or Digital route! Most of the ways already listed are the only ways to do this. The only one not mentioned yet that i can think of is a thermistor. I order to prevent the heating element from burning out once the water level gets low the heater will get really hot and use up much more electricity. So the Temprature sensative thermistor will increase in Resistance until the heating element shuts off automatically. Once the electricity is shut off have a secondary relay switch (which will detect a 0 voltage or 0 current)  turn the whole thing off permantly. As once the temprature drops the themistor will just restart the curcuit. it's complicated electronics but it's as far as my thinking goes. BTW- this is how Aquarium heaters work to prevent an overheat.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Rather than a shut-down, what about a way to add water when the volume in the tank gets too low? Use the "water seeks it's own level" property to ensure that the tank won't run out, as long as the backup tank is full. Use a one-way flow valve so water can enter the tank to keep it full, but can't leave the tank.  As long as there is no pressure, this should work.

Or just a sight glass? For example, a large glass tube, alongside the tank so as the water level goes down, water flows out of the tube and into the tank.  That's how steam locomotive operators were able to tell how much water was in the boiler.  For the operators, it was literally a matter of life and death.

If you had any pressure, you could use a low water alarm, which sounds a whistle when the bottom of the pipe gets uncovered with water, and the air pressure is released to escape out the whistle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:38:11 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You either got to provide pics or explain better, becuase there are only so many ways you can tell when water is at a certain level and then have a cut off switch do it automatically. You dont seem do want to do either a Analog or Digital route! Most of the ways already listed are the only ways to do this. The only one not mentioned yet that i can think of is a thermistor. I order to prevent the heating element from burning out once the water level gets low the heater will get really hot and use up much more electricity. So the Temprature sensative thermistor will increase in Resistance until the heating element shuts off automatically. Once the electricity is shut off have a secondary relay switch (which will detect a 0 voltage or 0 current)  turn the whole thing off permantly. As once the temprature drops the themistor will just restart the curcuit. it's complicated electronics but it's as far as my thinking goes. BTW- this is how Aquarium heaters work to prevent an overheat.  

Couldn't this system add water, when the circuit closes, too?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a method to detect boiling water inside a tank?  Somehow detecting the turbulance of the water?  Or just a way to detect if the tank is full or empty.

Conductivity detection cannot be used and floats cannot be used.

I was thinking of using halleffect detectors through the tank but I don't want to penitrate the tank if possible.

How about a flapper valve over the outlet for the steam. The steam will increase the pressure in the tank and lift the valve, once there is no water there is no steam and the pressure decreases. The flapper valve is hooked into the heating element power supply and cuts it off when the valve closes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a method to detect boiling water inside a tank?  Somehow detecting the turbulance of the water?  Or just a way to detect if the tank is full or empty.

Conductivity detection cannot be used and floats cannot be used.

I was thinking of using halleffect detectors through the tank but I don't want to penitrate the tank if possible.

How about a flapper valve over the outlet for the steam. The steam will increase the pressure in the tank and lift the valve, once there is no water there is no steam and the pressure decreases. The flapper valve is hooked into the heating element power supply and cuts it off when the valve closes.

That is too subject to fouling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF IS THIS FOR!?!?!

A small (household size) water purifier/distiller for turd world countries.

So, you have a small, gallon-sized household water purifier. Use a timer. Back it up with a pressure switch. Whatever you do it will be over-engineered and the turd-worlders will not use it properly anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#41]
How's the still coming?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#42]
scottryan- You need to give us some more specifics. Is this a batch operation (i.e. you fill it once, boil the contents, then drain to another container, and begin the process again, or is it a continuous process with water flowing into it on some sort of demand?) Do you have electricity available, or close at hand to supply electical control power, or do you even want it? And, how complicated do you want to get with it? (KISS priciple) FITTER had a good idea earlier if you have electicity available.

Mick.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask the crew when they climb out.

What's boiling water doing in a tank anyway?

Edit to add:  open a hatch and look inside.

The device has to be left alone.  There is not someone there to look at it.

Temp and pressure probes. open tank

You could use a conductivity meter, basically two wires spaced a short distance apart.  Resistance is measured.  No water = high resistance, water = lower resistance.  I have used units that can tell the difference from air, water, and hydrocarbon with  different audio and light signals.

With several sensors you could even determine the water level (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full)

If you use my idea I want 10% of the profits.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Install a capacitive water level gage.  Might have to get one custom made, but it's simple and it's safe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Install a capacitive water level gage.  Might have to get one custom made, but it's simple and it's safe.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#46]
pay a homeless guy to watch it. he'd probably drink half your product, though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Check out how canon checks there ink cartridge levels. The put a prism in the bottom, shine a light through it, if the light reflects back you are below a certain level. Must be pretty cheap and reliable, I've never seen one fail.

It would work in everything but the most brackish mix because it works with black ink. This would work if you are boiling WATER in your still and not a mash.

-JTP
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Check out how canon checks there ink cartridge levels. The put a prism in the bottom, shine a light through it, if the light reflects back you are below a certain level. Must be pretty cheap and reliable, I've never seen one fail.

It would work in everything but the most brackish mix because it works with black ink. This would work if you are boiling WATER in your still and not a mash.

-JTP

steam would cause interferance
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#49]
If you are looking for simple and small, wieght of the tank would be the best way to do it.  A mechanical swtich could turn the unit off when the water level=weight drops too low.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:31:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Ask Schrodinger's cat if it's boiling.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top