Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/23/2006 5:24:21 AM EDT
Do products like Lucas Stop leak actually work?

I've got a 97 Acura with a bad rear main seal. I don't want to put any more money into this car than I have to, I plan on getting rid of it within the next 6 months. I've also heard that adding Seafoam in with the oil can condition the seal and may be enough of a fix to get me through a few more months.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:49:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lurch:

I've got a 97 Acura with a bad rear main seal. I don't want to put any more money into this car than I have to, I plan on getting rid of it within the next 6 months. I've also heard that adding Seafoam in with the oil can condition the seal and may be enough of a fix to get me through a few more months.

I never use stop leaks, stop leak doesn't have a brain, it can't tell a leak from an open oil passage, so it'll try to clog everything. If car is worth keeping fix it if not sell it, never used Seafoam, thought it was for carbon deposits.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:56:36 AM EDT
Seal conditioners are for old, hardened seals. Your seal is probably worn or cracked. Conditioners will not help.

On equipment that has setup dry for several years, the seals can lose their seal. Most times, a fresh oilchange and 3000 miles of driving will reseal them.

If you want to swell the seals, there is a cheap industry trick to do it, but after a while the seals will turn to goo.

Best to repair properly, not try magic bottles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:05:13 AM EDT
No such thing as a mechanic in a bottle.

To repair the leak you need to ID the problem and replace the worn part. Alot of times those "stop leak conditioners" will swell the seal for a time and cause excessive wear on the part it seals against. Then the swelling receeds and your stuck with an even bigger leak.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:13:43 AM EDT

I've had a leaky rear main seal in a previous car and getting a new seal stopped the leak. It's expensive labor-wise to put in a relatively inexpensive part.
A leak will gunk up the spark plug on that side of the engine, if you choose not to repair it.
In the next six months, you'll be pouring more and more oil into the engine until it becomes a daily part of your driving routine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
I use Lucas oil and fuel treatment in everything and have had great results. Only stop leak of theirs I have used is the power steering stop leak and it worked like a charm.All Lucas products are guaranteed by the way.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:24:48 AM EDT

Your seal is damaged. Unless you replace the seal, it's not going to be fixed by a miracle product. Main seals are not organic living things that repair by themselves.

How bad is the leak? Unless you're losing massive amounts of oil, don't worry about. I find that my 1981 Ford 302 V8 seeps quite a bit of oil, enough to coat the transmission with a nice layer of oil, from the rear main seal. Repairing the seal will require lifting/removing the engine in order to remove the oil pan.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:14 AM EDT
Getting rid of it in 6 months...

Fuggit... Just keep dumping oil into it...it will change the oil itself...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:53:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pv74:
Getting rid of it in 6 months...

Fuggit... Just keep dumping oil into it...it will change the oil itself...

woo I didn't catch that at first!
Walmart Supertech 5W-30 is like 90 cents a quart. Just keep a few quarts in the trunk and keep dumping in more as needed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:13:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:

How bad is the leak? Unless you're losing massive amounts of oil, don't worry about.

That's just it - I had the oil changed about a month ago, and noticed oil on the garage floor just in the last couple of days. I took it in for a brake job and had them check it out. they said that the oil level wasn't even registering on the dipstick. I had them do an oil change, now it has stopped leaking.

Thanks for the replies. Check out my upcoming EE ad in a few months
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
Look in your owner's manual. I'll bet it says something like "Check oil level daily".

Are you saying you didn't check your oil level for a month?

At an absolute minimum, oil level should be checked every time you buy gas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:36:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
Look in your owner's manual. I'll bet it says something like "Check oil level daily".

Are you saying you didn't check your oil level for a month?

At an absolute minimum, oil level should be checked every time you buy gas.

Dont judge me.

I'd rather take this car to the range and give it some speed-holes than drive it. I'm sure as hell not going to check the oil every day.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:45:02 AM EDT
An el-cheapo temporary fix that sometimes works to swell seals is to add a little bit of ATF to the oil.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:09:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ar-wrench:
If you want to swell the seals, there is a cheap industry trick to do it, but after a while the seals will turn to goo.

Got DOT-3?
Top Top