Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The UK company that runs these ports now is a PUBLICLY owned company with no ties to the UK government.....the company that wants to buy the contract is OWNED BY THE U.A.E....a DIRECT ARM OF A TERRORIST SUPPORTIVE GOV'T........there's no comparison between the Brits and the Arabs doing this business for the U.S........also, 2 of the 9/11 hijackers were from the U.A.E.....how many Brits were there???.....OH WAIT>>>> ZERO.........So, what's next.....Yemenis getting a service contract for the U.S. 5th Fleet???

Got anything to back up the allegation the UAE is supportin terrorism? I quoted a US .gov paper that says they have been helping. Freezing assets, providing military bases, and even ousting one of their leaders because he wasn't US friendly.

So please, before you buy the line, do some research.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Read the 9/11 Comission Report's comments about the UAE....and their involvement in 9/11......that's enough for me.....not to mention the majority of their population is SUNNI muslim.......the same people killing our troops in Iraq....the same people who hate the U.S all over the world.....

Maybe you forgot about 1979. Those were Shia Muslims. Denomination means nothing. Radicalism does.

And I suppose what the .gov of UAE has done since 9/11 to support our .gov means nothing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
q: WTF is wrong with Bush??

A: he a liberal from the northeast!!!!!!

The Bush family IS NOT from Texas!!!!! They're from maine.

A quick googling could solve this, but didnt Bush grow up in Connecticut?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I know there's more to it than peasants like myself can understand, but it sure looks wrong from here.

Actually, they want you to believe there is more to the story, as does Rush.  I've listened to Rush defend this shit and offer doublespeak explantions for two days.  It is wrong on every account.  The UK should not be managing any of our ports, nor ANY country for that matter.  Bush doesn't know what the fuck Homeland Security is, it is just a rhetorical talking point for him.  He is giving the liberals all the ammunition they need to kick our ass in the mid-terms and in '08.  As I have said on many occasions, Homeland Security to me involves tracking down and evicting ALL illegal aliens, profiling the hell out of the immigrants who happen to be here legally, truly securing our borders, and get a bit more aggressive in the dealings with Muslim nations.  Maybe this is all just a part of his strategery.

Blake

Perhaps, oh wise one, you can tell us what a port management company does and what their relationship to port security is?

My bet is you don't know.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
He’s waiting for another “terrorist act” so he can impose patriot act three and finish off the rest of our civil liberties.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Or maybe he really believes in the free market?

Common sense this early in a thread is a rare thing.  I'm proud
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Snip/A quick googling could solve this, but didnt Bush grow up in Connecticut?/snip

The bush family is indeed from connecticut,the capital of elitism in this country, but durn it, Dubya just looks so TEXAN haulin' brush around the ranch in his cowboy hat its so easy to forget he's exactly like the democrat liberal elitists all his supporters rail against.   Except not as smart.  hinking.gif

Maine is actually the closest thing to texas in the NE.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Snip/A quick googling could solve this, but didnt Bush grow up in Connecticut?/snip

The bush family is indeed from connecticut,the capital of elitism in this country, but durn it, Dubya just looks so TEXAN haulin' brush around the ranch in his cowboy hat its so easy to forget he's exactly like the democrat liberal elitists all his supporters rail against.   Except not as smart.  

Maine is actually the closest thing to texas in the NE.

Whoa there big fella... careful with the sarcasm.   Given you comments, one might conclude that you think that all intelligence originates in the NE or from liberal minds.    
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Jezzus some of you all are unbelievable! It's like you read 200 words on a subject and you're some farking authority on the subject...

The Company who now manages the ports in question is British. They are being bought by another Company. $8.6 Billion dollar deal. Our ports are a small part of the overall deal.

All these Companies do is manage the berthing and cargo handling machinery infrastructure. They buy the cranes and robotic container trucks. They also oversee the maintainance. They don't dictate who handles what cargo. The Longshoremens Union does that along with the shipping companies. They have no say over what comes into the country or what ships are allowed into what ports. The Coast Guard and US Customs handle that.

You want to assume things like there will be a wholesale replacement of all the current employees with Arabs. They will bring in ALL the staffing, eh? You think all the staff members that are there now will be fired and replaced? That isn't how things work. When you buy a Company you leave 99% of the staff in place. The new Company makes procedural changes. Not willy nilly staff cuts.

You ARE aware that the US Coast Guard, Dept of Homeland Security, US Customs, and all the Longshoremen who do all the work and security will still be doing all the work and security aren't you? You are also aware that we have a prison in Dubai for captured terrorists aren't you? And that they have been an ally throughout all the shit in the middle east since Desert Storm? They have thrown people expressing anti American sentiment either into prison or out of the country.

Bush says that there have been investigations into the deal and after considering the FACTS gleaned via that investigation...there isn't any reason to piss on the deal. You actually believe Bush would make a decision on something like this without having all the ramifications explored? That he would put US security in jeopardy without exploring the possible ramifications? Puhleeese.

All of the 'prophets of doom crying in the media are the same Dumbocraps that make their livings sniveling at everything Bush does anyway. Those few Republicans who have 'reservations' are paying lip service to their constituantcies' concerns. Those concerns will disipate with time.

If you really feel that you must contest this deal....put your own 8.6 billion dollars up and buy the British firm.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the fact that Jimmy Carter thinks this is a good idea should tell you something.

I have no idea why he is fighting this so hard. I know the UAE is supposed to be our allies. But its just too close to the fire, if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Or maybe he really believes in the free market?

...........yeah, that's it!...........
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
What are a few ports among nations?  Clinton handed over Federal lands to the UN, the Japanese and Chinese own enormous amounts of land and real estate;Those containers the UAE wants to control were supposedly owned by them anyway.  
 The effort to encourage immigrants from nationalizing (back in the last administration) so they all maintain their own traditions, languages and cultures, breaks down the strength of our nation more than a few ports might do.  
 you and I aren't going to fight the "new world order" which Presidents have been pushing for for 20 years or more.  
 The US will only be stronger if attacked again...we are more likely to decay and fall apart from the inside out and when the time is ripe, the bad guys will stroll into Dodge and just take over.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The UAE is an ally in the war on terror.

Just like Saudi Arabia, right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag- I don't know enough about this yet to decide where I stand.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I glad that some of you all are finally realizing that Bush is not on our side!

I've know this all along!

I can't believe that it took something of this magnitude for you all to see the truth!

Most of you all were too busy drinking the Kool-Aid to see!

Before now, anyone here who was against Bush and his methods was called a liberal DU troll!

The man is a RINO!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
When something bad finally does happen, Bush will be out of office.

He will distance himself as far as possible from the issues just like Clinton has done with Osama...

He will not be held accountable!

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know there's more to it than peasants like myself can understand, but it sure looks wrong from here.

Actually, they want you to believe there is more to the story, as does Rush.  I've listened to Rush defend this shit and offer doublespeak explantions for two days.  It is wrong on every account.  The UK should not be managing any of our ports, nor ANY country for that matter.  Bush doesn't know what the fuck Homeland Security is, it is just a rhetorical talking point for him.  He is giving the liberals all the ammunition they need to kick our ass in the mid-terms and in '08.  As I have said on many occasions, Homeland Security to me involves tracking down and evicting ALL illegal aliens, profiling the hell out of the immigrants who happen to be here legally, truly securing our borders, and get a bit more aggressive in the dealings with Muslim nations.  Maybe this is all just a part of his strategery.

Blake

My bet is you don't know.

Perhaps, oh wise one, you can tell us what a port management company does and what their relationship to port security is?

Uh, maybe you can explain the rationale of allowing a foreign country, a country with known ties to terrorism, to manage ANY aspect of our ports...even if it is only the management of a seemingly benign aspect.  The fact of the matter is that ports are a soft target for terrorists.  This sends the wrong message to the citizens of the US, even if it is a "good financial deal" for us.  This is a perfect opportunity to get away from the status quo.  I can guarantee you that this will be used against those of us who are Republicans in the next two elections.  I can't help but notice your name, the fact you call yourself a "pirate", and the fact that you are from Virginia...the coast perhaps  I also went back and re-read your other post on this thread and you seem to be defending the UAE management of port operations rather adamantly.  I don't know if it means anything, it just comes across as odd.

Blake

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You want GAS for your cars? Shut up and play along.

Good point.  

Still doesn't sit right with me, though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The UK company that runs these ports now is a PUBLICLY owned company with no ties to the UK government.....the company that wants to buy the contract is OWNED BY THE U.A.E....a DIRECT ARM OF A TERRORIST SUPPORTIVE GOV'T........there's no comparison between the Brits and the Arabs doing this business for the U.S........also, 2 of the 9/11 hijackers were from the U.A.E.....how many Brits were there???.....OH WAIT>>>> ZERO.........So, what's next.....Yemenis getting a service contract for the U.S. 5th Fleet???

Got anything to back up the allegation the UAE is supportin terrorism? I quoted a US .gov paper that says they have been helping. Freezing assets, providing military bases, and even ousting one of their leaders because he wasn't US friendly.

So please, before you buy the line, do some research.

Read the 9/11 Commission Report....particularly their findings on UAE involvement.......the UAE wasn't  on the bandwagon until Bush gave his "you're either with us or against us" speech......check it out yourself........
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read the 9/11 Comission Report's comments about the UAE....and their involvement in 9/11......that's enough for me.....not to mention the majority of their population is SUNNI muslim.......the same people killing our troops in Iraq....the same people who hate the U.S all over the world.....

Maybe you forgot about 1979. Those were Shia Muslims. Denomination means nothing. Radicalism does.

And I suppose what the .gov of UAE has done since 9/11 to support our .gov means nothing?

again...."You're either with us , or you're against us".......that got a whole lot of countries to supposedly 'toe the line' in our efforts to freeze assets........And you're right, it IS radicalism that is the danger.......
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
q: WTF is wrong with Bush??

A: he a liberal from the northeast!!!!!!

The Bush family IS NOT from Texas!!!!! They're from maine.

President Bush was born on July 6, 1946, in New Haven, Connecticut, and grew up in Midland and Houston, Texas.

That makes him a Texan and you can scream all you want but he's now a Texan, PERIOD!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#22]
So can anyone name a US company that does port management like the UAE company?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
nothin is wrong with Bush.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#24]
WTF is wrong Bush?   He just opened 6 doors for a nuclear "nucelar" incident/terrorism act.  I can't say how disappointed I am that I voted for him...... twice.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#25]
1. Bush did not make this decision...the  Treasury Dept did.
2. It is nothing more than a change of managers...the Brits had the contract before.
3.  The Long Beach terminal was awarded to Cosco [Owned by the Chinese Army] and nowhere near the outcry against Clinton for that one.
4. Just like the Cheney/Whittington thing....it is making a mountain out of a molehill.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Actually there are number of U.S. companies...doing the same thing..in other nations.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#27]
May I ask a Question? Is this The actual UAE gov't, or a company from the UAE that is taking over port management?

I'm trying to reserve judgement, but either way my gut tells me not to like it...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
WTF is wrong Bush?   He just opened 6 doors for a nuclear "nucelar" incident/terrorism act.  I can't say how disappointed I am that I voted for him...... twice.....

UAE manages a lots of ports that ship to US ports.  Scary?  No.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually there are number of U.S. companies...doing the same thing..in other nations.

Nope.  No US firms provide port management services.  It was a trick question.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing like having control on both ends of the pipe..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
May I ask a Question? Is this The actual UAE gov't, or a company from the UAE that is taking over port management?

I'm trying to reserve judgement, but either way my gut tells me not to like it...

I gather the UAE gov't owns the company.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, controlling one remote end and having 5% of the containers on our end inspected is so safe.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The UAE is an ally in the war on terror.

Just like Saudi Arabia, right?

Nope.  The UAE has been a real standup ally. They rolled in the strictest banking laws to close the doors to Al Queda funding, and have been hosting a large US military presence.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#34]
funny...A Port of Seattle official just said on the radio...that U.S. companies operate hundreds of marine terminals in foreign nations....is he a liar?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
1. Bush did not make this decision...the  Treasury Dept did.
2. It is nothing more than a change of managers...the Brits had the contract before.
3.  The Long Beach terminal was awarded to Cosco [Owned by the Chinese Army] and nowhere near the outcry against Clinton for that one.
4. Just like the Cheney/Whittington thing....it is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Its not even a change in management, just a change in owners.
As part of the purchase agreement, US management stays the same (ie the already in place Brits and Americans).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
funny...A Port of Seattle official just said on the radio...that U.S. companies operate hundreds of marine terminals in foreign nations....is he a liar?

If a US company provides these terminal services, you won't have a hard time providing the name of one, will you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I cannot believe there is a Republican on this board with blinders so heavy that they would defend this particular hole in his policy.

He's clearly out to lunch, completely on the wrong side here. How can you defend this?

Easy, by understanding what is occuring. An existing UK company is being bought out by a UAE based company. The UAE based company has a clean record, and is well established in the industry. The management and employees at the US terminals (not whole ports) will remain the same.

The UAE gov't was never a Terrorist supportive government. There were some folks in country providing some Al Queda funding, and some transfers went through UAE banks, as per the 911 report. The UAE gov't has been very actively supporting anti-terrorist activities. Al Queda is a direct threat to the UAE gov't.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, controlling one remote end and having 5% of the containers on our end inspected is so safe.  

I agree with you on that.  What is even worse is knowing that only 5% are being inspected AND having UAE control the ports.  Then we have the open door from Mexico which nothing is being done about.  I look at Bush and ask myself where has he been living......  He is just like his father when it comes to globalism and either way you look at it, you better take care of your own because GWB does not care what happens to the avg American.  I thnk he lacks the vision or understanding to do so.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If a US company provides these terminal services, you won't have a hard time providing the name of one, will you?

Here's who the Seatle person was proabably referring to -

SSA Marine Services

Seem U.S. to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with you on that.  What is even worse is knowing that only 5% are being inspected AND having UAE control the ports.  Then we have the open door from Mexico which nothing is being done about.  I look at Bush and ask myself where has he been living......  He is just like his father when it comes to globalism and either way you look at it, you better take care of your own because GWB does not care what happens to the avg American.  I thnk he lacks the vision or understanding to do so.

You do know that the port managers don't do the port inspections, right?  Do you know who does this?

Chuck Schummer said he would have no complaints about Halliburton managing the ports.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Look guys they are just guarding the ports that Americans don't want to guard.

It's more than that! He's letting them guard major import and export ports in the US!
WTF? They go buy UALC(united arab limited co.)or some shit like that, I saw it on the news the other day and one of Bush's republican partners was not understanding WHY he done such a D/A thing! anyway it's probably all alot bigger than us!and we'll never understand it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's who the Seatle person was proabably referring to -

SSA Marine Services

Seem U.S. to me.

Yup, look at the 100's of locations they manage...  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look guys they are just guarding the ports that Americans don't want to guard.

It's more than that! He's letting them guard major import and export ports in the US!
WTF? They go buy UALC(united arab limited co.)or some shit like that, I saw it on the news the other day and one of Bush's republican partners was not understanding WHY he done such a D/A thing! anyway it's probably all alot bigger than us!and we'll never understand it.

So port management companies do security now?  

No, they don't.  The coast guard does.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know that the port managers don't do the port inspections, right?  Do you know who does this?

Chuck Schummer said he would have no complaints about Halliburton managing the ports.  

Yeah, I heard them talking about Brown Root/Halliburton doing it. I find this whole thing very disconcerting that we should turn this over to a country who we know has had links to terrorists. I guess some people have to shown the error of their ways only after the damage has been done. It's also called sticking your head in the sand and pretending that bad things will not happen to us..here in America....again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Well shit.  You asked for a company in the US.  There's one.  They work out of 150 locations worldwide.  It's not 100s (which for some reason is a new hurdle for you) - it's a hundred and a half.

We're talking what, 6 locations in the US?  So hundreds doesn't mean shit.

But don't f'n worry about it.  The rich and powerful have the American people's best interests in mind - right?

Sorry if you and GW don't like folks voicing their displeasure on this issue.  Maybe we should all just roll over, but we have a say too, and if we don't like it, we'll damn sure say so.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I heard them talking about Brown Root/Halliburton doing it. I find this whole thing very disconcerting that we should turn this over to a country who we know has had links to terrorists. I guess some people have to shown the error of their ways only after the damage has been done. It's also called sticking your head in the sand and pretending that bad things will not happen to us..here in America....again.

Brown Root/Halliburton isn't in the business to manage ports.

The UAE company manages some of the largest ports in the world.  These ports ship hundreds of thousands of containers in to the US every year.  If this UAE company didn't care about money, and wanted to nuke us, it would have already been done.  

Some of you fail to realize what companies are in business to do.  Make money.  Not piss off the biggest customer you will ever have.  That would be the USA.

Do you think that the security would be any different if this heppened?  No it wouldn't.

Do you think all the union workers will be fired and UAE employees will come over to take jobs?  No.

Is everyone in UAE a terrorist?  Sounds like you guys think so.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well shit.  You asked for a company in the US.  There's one.  They work out of 150 locations worldwide.  It's not 100s (which for some reason is a new hurdle for you) - it's a hundred and a half.

But don't f'n worry about it.  The rich and powerful have the American people's best interests in mind - right?

Sorry if you and GW don't like folks voicing their displeasure on this issue.  Maybe we should all just roll over, but we have a say too, and if we don't like it, we'll damn sure say so.

Look at their web site.  They do about 8 foreign locations.  That ain't 100.  This is a small company.  They do a few dozen container ports in the US and abroad and that's it.  They are small potatos.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See highlighted portion.  Got a little class warfare issue going there?  

You do know that companies are in business to make money, right?  Do you think a huge company would go out of it's way to bring terror on the US, rather than make money?  Their stockholders might be a little pissed a bout that...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Well one thing is for sure.  GWB is starting to cause his own power base to even think he is not thinking right these days. Hastert and Frist have both asked him to slow down and rethink what he is trying shove down our throats.  I for one am not trusting of anyone but me and mine. I will do my best to take care of my family.....that is all carry on fellows.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top