User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Still haven't found what I like.    Started with an EOtech and that was just God awful.  The parallax *cringe*

About to try a CompM2, which appears decent but the 30mm lens is something to get used to.  When your eye gets used to cheap ass 40mm Optics from Wal-Mart going to 30mm takes practice.

Haven't shot with an ACOG in 2 years but I remember that I liked it.  The price though

I don't have any paralax issues with my EOTech

+1 there IS no parallax with the EOThing
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The Aimpoint is much more durable.

The EoTech is not near as durable, yet offers the nifty uncluttered window.

The Trijicon is a nice optic, but it isn't the best for close targets. I saw a really, really good shooter miss 50% of his shots at 10yds on moving targets. The magnification killed him, he just couldn't pick up and track the targets fast enough.

They are all good quality optics and you should get whatever floats your boad... Unless you are in the military or LE, you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than shooting someone with a rifle...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So you can't get it all in one scope?  Is there a good compromise?

No, there is no magic weight loss pill either.

Yea, you can... It's called the S&B ShortDot and your looking at $2k... But, it's a helluva optic.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a long rail, starting from the back....mount a BUIS, then an Eotec, then an ACOG, then an  Aimpoint, then a a NVS, finally a big-assed scope.....

Sounds good to me.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Eotech on my carbines. They are very fast in acquiring targets and the batteries last a very long time. I have not changed mine in two years of range shooting. I consider this a non-issue,if you are using a rifle as a duty/battle rifle throw in a new set as you prep your gear (takes 15 seconds).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Well I just broke down and got a Sale TASCO for $25, that oughta do the trick.  I figured what the heck, might as well see what falls out.  For $25 worth playing with.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned a Trijicon Reflex II, Aimpoint, and EOTech. Sold the Trijicon because I wasn't impressed with its overall performance and its tendency to wash out in daylight. Have the Aimpoint but I am leaning more towards my EOTech 512. I might traded my Aimpoint Comp M for an EOTech. Aimpoint is good - but EOTech is better imho.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tac-point on a high-point.

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album03/Tac_and_Hi.sized.jpg

The ultimate uncompromising setup.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The ACOG is just as fast as the Aimpoint or Eotech if you understand how to sight using the Bindon Aiming Concept.  Or just pop a cover on the front and use it as an OEG if nothing else.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The ACOG is just as fast as the Aimpoint or Eotech if you understand how to sight using the Bindon Aiming Concept.  Or just pop a cover on the front and use it as an OEG if nothing else.

that does not work with TA01s though no BAC just cross hairs
but i agree my TA11 is very fast with the front end covered like a OEG
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
y'all do realize that they make ACOGs all the way down to 1X, right?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last I checked, a zombie can only be stopped with a headshot , so I’ll go with my ACOG.

Q. How many zombies dieing does it take for full depletion of a 30 round mag?

A. 30, if you use an ACOG, and they'll never get close enough to require going Gansta Style.

This is like a debate over Advil or Tylenol....

Until you have a few zombies sneak up really close and you're trying to find the target with your reticle... meanwhile the guy with the pistol just saved your life with a few zombie headshots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Eotech for me, and yes I have all three.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I played with an Eotech and a Compact ACOG yesterday. I have never had time with either before so it was exciting to me. The ACOG was very impressive and I do want one but I will be buying an Eotech. The Eotech seemed to have a faster target acquisition to me and I loved the large windowed view. The ACOG was a 1.5x magnification and probably would have been more impresive with a higher magnification. Find a gun shop with a few and check them out in person. You will decide quickly on which one you like best.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Lets just say for zombies, SHTF, Combat.

Which is the best optic, i say ACOG because of the magnification but then again you can get on target faster with the EOtech and the aimpoint.

Depends.

For anything over 100 yards, it is really hard to beat the ACOG. They are fantastic optics.

At close range, however, the ACOG doesn't work as well. For up close work the red-dot style optics are the way to go. They still allow you accuracy at range, but aren't as precise as the ACOG at those longer ranges. You can use an ACOG pretty well at 800 meters, but the red dots aren't much use at that range.

As far as which red-dot you should get, that depends on what you like. The EOTech optics seem to be pretty tough and fairly reliable. Personally, I don't like their reticle myself. Too busy.

My personal favorite red-dot is the Aimpoint, which has just gotten better in its latest version. It is a rugged optic that will last 50,000 hours on ONE battery. The more mount-it-and-forget-it your optic is, the better, in my opinion.

The Aimpoint's simple red dot is easy to use at speed up close, and is plenty accurate at moderate distances. For a home defense/patrol/general purpose carbine, I would personally choose the Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The closest thing to a "compromise" is that horrible Leupold scope which tries hard to do everything but is unable to do anything well.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have owned a Trijicon Reflex II, Aimpoint, and EOTech. Sold the Trijicon because I wasn't impressed with its overall performance and its tendency to wash out in daylight.

That's the reason I don't own one. In theory it is the ideal sight, light, never needs batteries, and rugged. It is just too bad it washes out in daylight or when used in concert with a weapon light. That makes the damn thing almost useless for most folks.

I was really disappointed by that.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Get the new elcan cqb / semi sniping sight. It goes from 1x to 4x with the flip of a switch. Really cool, really expensive. Approx $1200.

that price would choke a mule.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have owned a Trijicon Reflex II, Aimpoint, and EOTech. Sold the Trijicon because I wasn't impressed with its overall performance and its tendency to wash out in daylight.

That's the reason I don't own one. In theory it is the ideal sight, light, never needs batteries, and rugged. It is just too bad it washes out in daylight or when used in concert with a weapon light. That makes the damn thing almost useless for most folks.

I was really disappointed by that.

Tip 1: Use a polarizing filter, it helps, if anything it darkens the sight picture which makes the reticle stand out (works great on the P90 sight, only problem is that there are no polarizing filters that would fit the sight)
Tip 2: worst case is that you cover the reflex objective lens, retaining the use of the fiber optic / tritium. It turns it into an OEG-style sight.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
EO Tech seems to be popular.

Mine went forever on the original batteries (three years) but now it won't work anymore, period (new batteries or not).

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah really.

I'm beginning to think very very few people understand how BAC works.

I can use my TA31F just fine at 0-25yds. by keeping both eyes open just like I do with an EOTech or Aimpoint.  I've owned all three and the ACOG is the best multi-purpose optic available.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm sure the ACOG is a mighty fine optic, but I chose the EOTech.

My belief is that each rifle has a purpose, and for short to medium range the .223 AR is a great choice. With CQB in mind, I built a carbine equipped with BUIS and an EOTech. This way, I can yank the optic if it fails (though I'm confident in the unit)

I would prefer .308 for longer range and I'd select appropriate glass for that purpose.

Considering costs, the EOTech suited my purpose... still expensive, and really, it's overkill... but I can justify it. The technology is great. The ACOG would be fine if I had a valid use for it, but I don't. I'm not going to spend that kind of coin just so I can brag about ownership

The EOTech does'nt have parallax issues, you don't look at the reticle, you look at the target and then, by doing so, the reticle becomes clear. The previously posted interpretation of "parallax" is actually misuse of the device.

I definitely don't want magnification for close ranges, and in a homestead defense scenario, I don't see a threat being more than 200 yards out. Plus, I have 20/20 vision and no issues using irons. That said, I enjoy the aquisition enhancement the EOTech provides.

That is an ACOG with a Tasco Optima sight attached.

That is a really cool solution... but unfortuantely, too rich for my blood. $300-$400 for optics is about as high as I'd be willing to go... but thats just me, everyone has a different level of means.

Tha ACOG's radioactive tritium Can this be replaced when it burns out? I don't know the answer, but I'm curious. That has been a factor for me. Battery replacements can be had at Walmart. but tritium?

Quoted:
Iron sight. Large aperture. Both eyes open. It can't get any simpler than that. For CQB, as in tight rooms/houses, pull out your pistol.

With an EOTech, you may run out of batteries and your brain is now zombie chow.

You can have both via co-witness, I have a flip up rear sight with dual aperture and a fixed front.  Even if my batteries die, the EOTech's window is a non-issue for sighting with the irons. Also a loaded AK or two by your side would'nt hurt. Be prepared!

Just my two cents, TIFWIW, free, YMMV, not an endorsement, no affiliation, consult your physician, check local laws, talk with psychologist, take the meds, brush and floss, stay in school, etc...  

If all else fails and shit REALLY hits the fan, then I'll have to break out the Hi-Point carbine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
My experiences:
1.  Trijicon Reflex:  Pretty useful but didn't compare to newer optics like the Aimpoint.  Sold it and got an Aimpoint.
2.  Aimpoint CompML2:  Excellent.  Quick on target and great battery life.  One knob, no buttons.  Get the ARMS #68 mount.
3.  Trijicon ACOG TA01-NSN:  This SF model was neat, but the lack of any real illumination of the reticle killed it.  The weak illumination is calibrated for NVG and doesn't stand out very quickly.  You'd have to be sitting in the dark for 30 minutes just to pick it up in any reasonable time.  The backup iron sights were pointless.  I would have preferred a TA-31 over this.  Sold it.

My favorite is the Aimpoint.  My early experiences with the original EOTech/Bushnell Holo-thingy were disappointing.  The newer modes are a significant improvement, but I like the durability, battery life and simplicity of the Aimpoint more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#24]
tritium may have a half-life of around 10-12 years, that means its still illuminating but not as bright. That does not mean it is completely out of juice shot at 10-12 years.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
 My early experiences with the original EOTech/Bushnell Holo-thingy were disappointing.  The newer modes are a significant improvement.

How can you even compare EOTech to Bushnell?
They are two very different products duder.
My guess is you've not owned an Eotech.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top