Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:49:37 PM EDT
ETA: this post originally helped me diagnose the power supply problem. I have since replaced the power supply. Here is what happens now. I have NOT used the computer since this problem originally occured.

The computere will start the XP screen, load the desk top and even start the HP tool bar... and then NOTHING. The screen goes blank, the fan turns off but the computer power light still is on. Also, the monitior get the NO SIGNAL box dancing around the monitor.

Does this sound like the motherboard, considering I already changed the power supply?

The power supply in my HP went out during the night on Sunday. I swapped out the power supply and the computer starts the Windows XP screen then the monitor loses singal. I picked up a 350W power supply and just realized that the factory power supply is a 250W.

Will this cause the monitor to lose signal and stop functioning?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh no, the bigger the better.   That would not cause the monitor to lose signal or anything like that, unless it was maybe a cheap, junk PSU instead of a quality one (unstable power rails can affect the video card).  What brand is it?  Just like with ARs, there are only 3 quality manufactuers of computer power supplies - Antec, OCZ, and PC Power & Cooling (the best there is).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No, the monitor should be powered by its own cord.  Every powersupply puts out the same amount of power to each of its cords, the 350 has more power cords.  You shouldn't fry your mobo or drives with that...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
it shouldn't.

If it's a low quality power supply with unstable voltage it could cause problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Oh no, the bigger the better.   That would not cause the monitor to lose signal or anything like that, unless it was maybe a cheap, junk PSU instead of a quality one (unstable power rails can affect the video card).  What brand is it?  Just like with ARs, there are only 3 quality manufactuers of computer power supplies - Antec, OCZ, and PC Power & Cooling (the best there is).

After years of buy junk I finally bought a quality one its worth it
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I just purchased it at CompUSA and it's a Master Power supply unit.

Actually, my computer started the first time I turned on the power and was looking at my desk top when it lost the signal.

What does that sound like it could be? It will start up again and ask me what mode I want to start in. I picked the nomral mode and it ran the XP screen for about a minute and lost the power.

I unplugged the system and did it again and ran it in the safe mode. It ran a list of .exe's and then lost signal again.

Is this PC toast?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, my computer started the first time I turned on the power and was looking at my desk top when it lost the signal.

What does that sound like it could be? It will start up again and ask me what mode I want to start in. I picked the nomral mode and it ran the XP screen for about a minute and lost the power.

I unplugged the system and did it again and ran it in the safe mode. It ran a list of .exe's and then lost signal again.

Is this PC toast?

thanks,
Ron

It sounds like the power supply may be toast, and it is a cheapo.  I would be willing to bet that if you throw a good power supply in there it would work just fine.  Just a guess though.   Sorry that you are having those troubles.

The power supply is something that no one should ever go cheap on - it is quite literally the heart of the computer system.

If you really want to eliminate the monitor as the problem, try running the monitor on another system, and see if it does it again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is this PC toast?

thanks,
Ron

Possible problems:
CPU is overheating
CPU fan is not being detected by the mother board, hence it thinks it is overheating
Power supply is toast
Need a larger power supply
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
See if you can return it to Comp USA.

After rebates you can probaly get an Antec case with an Antec supply for not much more
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Possible problems:
CPU is overheating
CPU fan is not being detected by the mother board, hence it thinks it is overheating
Power supply is toast

Would the computer still power up if the new power supply was bad already?

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Possible problems:
CPU is overheating
Power supply is toast

thanks,
Ron

Yes.  The power supply could not be putting off enough voltage on one or more of the power rails, which causes major problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Possible problems:
CPU is overheating
Power supply is toast

thanks,
Ron

Yes.  The power supply could not be putting off enough voltage on one or more of the power rails, which causes major problems.

+1
When it first comes up, when it's loading the bios, it doesn't use much power. But as the operating system starts, thats processor intensive, which uses more power.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Back to top for additional diagnosis.

thanks,
Ron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top