Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:40:11 AM EDT
I made it all the way to Huntsville Alabama and found the interstate and overpasses shut down.  Dang!  Guess I'll have to play with my new drill press and tablesaw today.

How is it that when there is snow or ice up north it's business as usuall but down here everything stops for a thin sheet of ice?  I saw two wrecks in the 30 miles that I covered this morning.  One was an overturned pickup on a bridge that I had crossed ten minutes before.  A Huntsville City Police officer that I talked to said that they had two wrecks and one officer was injured.  They weren't even responding to accidents that didn't have injuries involved.

Hunker down and be safe bros.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:47:41 AM EDT
[#1]
up north they prep the roads to melt the snow aa well as use plows.  Down south they usually get ice (much more difficult to negotiate then snow pack) and you can't just go out and sand every road. Plus the sand wears off pretty quick by drivers traveling at excessive speeds over/through the sand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
We have to move a few more Northern people down there to teach the rest of you to not freak out when  it snows.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a good day for some beer drinkin' to me! Just be careful with that drill press and table saw.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
up north they prep the roads to melt the snow aa well as use plows.  Down south they usually get ice (much more difficult to negotiate then snow pack) and you can't just go out and sand every road. Plus the sand wears off pretty quick by drivers traveling at excessive speeds over/through the sand.

and we still drive on ice and snow packed roads for several hours until the snow or ice storm stops and the trucks can catch up. They can't hit them all and keep them all clean.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I made it all the way to Huntsville Alabama and found the interstate and overpasses shut down.  Dang!  Guess I'll have to play with my new drill press and tablesaw today.

How is it that when there is snow or ice up north it's business as usuall but down here everything stops for a thin sheet of ice?  I saw two wrecks in the 30 miles that I covered this morning.  One was an overturned pickup on a bridge that I had crossed ten minutes before.  A Huntsville City Police officer that I talked to said that they had two wrecks and one officer was injured.  They weren't even responding to accidents that didn't have injuries involved.

The wrecks are probably transplanted northerners who think that they can drive in the snow/ice.  Southerners know that you stay at home and 'take advantage' of a day at home with the significant other while the kids play outside.  

At least, that is how it worked when I lived down there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The wrecks are probably transplanted northerners who think that they can drive in the snow/ice.  Southerners know that you stay at home and 'take advantage' of a day at home with the significant other while the kids play outside.  

Sounds right to me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thats a bunch of BS. Its the Southern crowd that says "tread? My tires don't need no steenkin TREAD to drive on!". Its always the Southerners who can't drive in snow who are the problems up here when it snows.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Same thing here in Tulsa...a thin frosting of snow over what we call "Black-Ice" which is THE MOST DANGEROUS stuff to drive on known to man.

Nobody's going out today in this stuff, not even the fraudsters (mostly corporate and insurance investigations). All surveillances are cancelled until the streets clear off tomorrow.

Sometimes you just gotta roll with it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about the Northeners being able to drive in snow. Years ago when I was still living in MD there was a miday snow storm dropping about 6 inches of snow. It had people abandoning their vehicles on the interstate and hitching rides back home
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Work?

Today's a holiday!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not sure about the Northeners being able to drive in snow. Years ago when I was still living in MD there was a miday snow storm dropping about 6 inches of snow. It had people abandoning their vehicles on the interstate and hitching rides back home

You may think of Maryland as being the North. We think of them as the South. Wanna be Northerners at best.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I used to say the same thing in Seattle, then I went bobsledding on a road down a steep hill with several curves.  Barely made it.

On the other hand, one fine day, I drove home without any problem, when all the Seattle idiots were abandoning their cars in the middles of the BRIDGES because they couldn't figure out how to drive on straight, approximately level, and barely dusted pavement.

Oh well.  Yeah, they're idiots.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#13]
If it snows or ice storms in Alabama, stay home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and we still drive on ice and snow packed roads for several hours until the snow or ice storm stops and the trucks can catch up. They can't hit them all and keep them all clean.  

this was my point, the snow makes for  slightly more traction then the smooth ice we usually get.  Also the ice is very oftenpatchy , as is the case this weekend, and it fools/lulls the many unsuspecting drivers into a false sense of security to drive to fast. Couple this with the fact that most people will panic when their vehicle begins to slide. This causes them to apply the brake and never lift of until they crash into the guard rail even though they were well off the icyy bridge and back on just wet pavement. Drivers need to be taught that once they lock the brakes and put the car into a skid there steering goes away but as soon as you leave the ice and get your foot off the brake the steering comes right back.  I was tested this theory on many occasions
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may think of Maryland as being the North. We think of them as the South. Wanna be Northerners at best.

MD is most certainly the north
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
My yankee friend from Vermont couldn't get his 4X4 TRD Toyota Tundra up this driveway last weekend.  My buddy was driving a Ford Ranger and I was driving a TRD Toyota Tocoma we could both make it.  The idea that yankee's know how to drive better in the snow is bull.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Isn't the Maxon/Dixon line north of Maryland?  

eta:  Damn - beaten by 40 seconds!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats a bunch of BS. Its the Southern crowd that says "tread? My tires don't need no steenkin TREAD to drive on!". Its always the Southerners who can't drive in snow who are the problems up here when it snows.

you should see the people down here try to drive in the rain.  i couldn't imagine what would happen if it snowed.  

shit, i remember the worst rain storm i'd ever driven in...  i was on 37 south passing the alamodome and the highway was like a fucking river.  i was going a blazing 25 mph in 4 high and i was still hydroplaning every few seconds.  most people were traveling about the same speed i was...  except for the soccermoms.  minivans were flying past me at 60 or 70 mph.  and as you can guess, there were a shitload of wrecks a couple miles down the road.  whenever we get an icestorm every couple of years, you can multiply that by 100.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My yankee friend from Vermont couldn't get his 4X4 TRD Toyota Tundra up this driveway last weekend.  My buddy was driving a Ford Ranger and I was driving a TRD Toyota Tocoma we could both make it.  The idea that yankee's know how to drive better in the snow is bull.

Try us Michigan boys, we certainly know how.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't give a F where the M-D line is

Everything below Lake O in FL is the north too
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Florida is not even part of the south.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of it is.  I think the south stops somewhere near Gainsville.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Places like Bartow, Wauchula and Arcadia are still the south, so the Lake O line is still a good cut off.

Orlando is not the south, and it's north of those places.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm in NW Tn. and everything is closed down.  The university I work at has closed for the 4th time in 24 years.

I got here with no problems and I live 15 minutes away from the office
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Places like Bartow, Wauchula and Arcadia are still the south, so the Lake O line is still a good cut off.

Contrary to popular belief there are some areas in Florida that are still rural and full of gator wrestling rednecks.  Cruising timber in Florida was one of the worst experience I have ever had.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you!  Somebody else gets it!

Florida doesn't really fit anywhere.  It's just here.  

Oh, and who uses sand on the roads?  PA (at least eastern PA) uses salt.  Salt actually helps melt it faster.  Sand provides traction but it doesn't go away any sooner.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you!  Somebody else gets it!

Florida doesn't really fit anywhere.  It's just here.  

Oh, and who uses sand on the roads?  PA (at least eastern PA) uses salt.  Salt actually helps melt it faster.  Sand provides traction but it doesn't go away any sooner.

Sand is better than salt because salt will only work when temps are above 20F.  Sand absorbs sunlight which causes it to warm up causing the snow/ice to melt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its about a seven hour drive South for me. That makes it the South as far as I am concerned.Now, if you want to talk some sort of imaginary philisophical differences between different parts of the country, who knows. Its probably a mix of both because its sort of in the no mans land between the two parts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I've seen this area(DFW) totally shut down businesses and schools and then the ice and snow never materializes. Very funy to see a city paralized because the weather failed to match what the predictors said a few hours previously.  (on more then one occasion)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
We have to move a few more Northern people down there to teach the rest of you to not freak out when  it snows.

uh, no thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its about a seven hour drive South for me. That makes it the South as far as I am concerned.Now, if you want to talk some sort of imaginary philisophical differences between different parts of the country, who knows. Its probably a mix of both because its sort of in the no mans land between the two aprts.

here's a concrete example....

I have friends from various minority groups that live in MD (and work in DC or VA) instead of VA because they don't feel comfortable living in "the south."

For them, MD is def. "the north"

Yes, I know this is nuts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its about a seven hour drive South for me. That makes it the South as far as I am concerned.Now, if you want to talk some sort of imaginary philisophical differences between different parts of the country, who knows. Its probably a mix of both because its sort of in the no mans land between the two aprts.

I have friends from various minority groups that live in MD (and work in DC or VA) instead of VA because they don't feel comfortable living in "the south."

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Snow day in N/W Ark Ozarks.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have friends who live Downstate in NYC who think of Upstate as the great untamed North. All a matter of perspective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top