Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:35:07 PM EDT
Please refrain from making any motorcycle comments - I have 2, but where I'm going they can't follow...

This is WRT my assignment to Korea...

I'm thinking that a bike (pedal type) would be nice to have over there - I'm not high enough up the scale to be authorized a POV or motorcycle, and boots & puiblic trans only go so far... The Army will, of course ship this both ways as part of my personal effects...

Any advice on a good brand/model of pedal bike for general purpose use (eg around post & surrounding areas)? I don't know much about the things (last time I rode one was years ago), and about the only bike brand (besides the generic/dept store variety) I really know of is Trek...

What are good features to have? Any perticular make 'well above' the rest? Anything I should know?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Streamers on the handlebars are always a nice touch.

It really depends on how much you are willing to spend. I like Trek but there are cheaper options if you just want something for casual use.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
http://forums.bicycling.com/index.jspa

Go here and ask... lots of good bike info.

FWIW I'd recommend a mountain bike, or a comprimise design between a mountain bike and a road bike, something a lot of companies are calling "comfort bikes."

However, I'm a bicycle junkie so I'd probably bring one over if I had orders to Korea.  If I were'nt already a bike junkie I'd wait until I got there.  One of a few different things could happen - you could 'inhereit' a bike left behind a previous owner, you could see what everyone else is using and is practical, and/or you could find a really good deal at whatever passes for your local PX.     There's a pretty big korean bicycle shop right next to the BX at Kunsan AB.  I think other posts have similar options.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
canondale, fugi, or kona my three favorite brands..im getting my bike guys all new konas if the budget is ever approved...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Specialized

specialized.com/bc/home.jsp

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT - more?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's a real bike it won't pack smaller than partially assembled and well padded in a bicycle box.

all purpose workhorse bike for me would be a hardtail steel mountain bike with a front 3" suspension fork ,cable disk brakes, a rear rack, and some 2.1/2.2 semi-slick-low-knob tires, with bmx platform pedals. All logos removed and an all grey paintjob. Big ass chain lock like a kryptonite fuggeddaboutit. Bring tools, an extra chain, extra tire and tubes, patch kit, pump(floor, and carry size) White lightning chain lube. CLP works great for control cable lube. A set of mountain bike tires will let you go trail riding as well. Kevlar bead tires when folded up don't take up much space.

Pack in a bicycle box. pedals off, front wheel out with brace in the fork, stem/ bars off. It all just fits. Guys at a bike shop can show you how to do it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
FWIW I'd recommend a mountain bike, or a comprimise design between a mountain bike and a road bike, something a lot of companies are calling "comfort bikes."

+1.  A pure road racing bike might be easier to ride on the street but in the event you run into poor pavement conditions, it's better to have the thicker rim of a mountain bike, hybrid or comfort bike.  Fewer bent rims = happier Dave_A.

Depending on your price range, I'd say buy a good hardtail (meaning a bike w/o rear suspension) from any of the reputable bike makers.  This means staying away from Kmart, Dick's, Sports Authority or ANY big box store bike.  Go to a local bike shop and see what hardtails they have in your price range.  

If your price range is such that you are choosing between a new big box store bike (e.g. Mongoose) and a used name-brand hardtail or non-suspension bike, go with the latter.  Without question.  Those big box store bikes are junk, plain and simple.  I'd buy a beat-up, used, non-suspension Trek before I bought a new Mongoose!

Good brands include Trek, Specialized, Marin, Kona (my favorite), Gary Fisher ... just ask the bike store guys.  The big box store drones won't have a clue.

If you get a mountain bike, you might want to spend some $ on making it more suited for street riding.  They make dual-purpose tires that have a lot less rolling resistance for street use, yet retain some tread for poor weather or light off-road conditions.  My current favorite is the WTB All-Terrainasaurus.  

Also, if you're gonna ride at night, blinkers (front and rear) are required by law in some jurisdictions.  And buy a good helmet!  Your noggin is very important so don't skimp here.  A good helmet can be had for around $50 or less.

My 2003 Kona Cinder Cone (retail around $799), pre-customizations:

shown with stock tires, but I swapped for the WTBs.  The bar is also aftermarket (Dirt Head aluminum flat bar), as are the bar ends (Profile Design alumnum), blinkers (Planet bike LED blinkers) and bullet pack (Specialized).

My old bike was a 1993 Trek US-built 930 (chro-moly frame) that was still running strong when I got the Cinder Cone in 2003. I gave it to a buddy who got divorced and needed a bike -- even after 10 years that Trek was still better than any big box store bike made yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not sure of parts availabilty where you are headed, but I just picked up a Marin "Hawk Hill" mountain  bike from REI:

www.rei.com/outlet/product/48018576.htm?vcat=OUTLET_SSHP_CYCLING_SA

It is a 2005 closeout, but at $400.00, you can't beat the price!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If I were you I would buy what ever the local bike shops can get parts for.  What goods a 10,000 dollar bike designed by Lance Armstrong if you can't get an innner tube for it.  What prevents you from buying a small disposable motorbike or scooter while over there?

USFK policy -> I'm an E4, I'm not allowed motorized transportation...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top