Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:24:58 PM EDT
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060219/ap_on_re_us/louisiana_levees

To get Congressional approval they must reform their political patronage system.  Shades of Huey Long.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]

that's like the pot calling the kettle black isn't it  ??
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I find that statement... ironic.

Must just be me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Having grown up in Louisiana and spent way too many years there as an adult, I can definitely say that is not the case in this instance. All the oil and gas pumped from Louisiana could not keep Diogene's Lamp lit long enough to find an honest Louisiana politician.

Just like the extra gas tax for the Highway trust fund was to only goto building the highway system or that the lottery money was to be dedicated to higher education or just about anything else in Louisiana. Or the case I personally know about, is the $165,000 that BFI gave to EWE to get the hazardous waste deep well injection permit for their Willow Spring site. You stand a better chance with falling in love with a New Orleans prostitute and expect her to be faithful, than to expect fidelity from a Louisiana politician. That is just the way that it is.

wganz

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find that statement... ironic.

Must just be me.

If you're a fan of irony (and pork) this will make you ecstatic.  Pols blithely acknowledge pork but seem helpless to deal with their addictions.  We should fire these guys and make them attend NA meetings and get some new blood and new rules....no add-on bills.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/07/19/EDG4PDP10E1.DTL
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Having grown up in Louisiana and spent way too many years there as an adult, I can definitely say that is not the case in this instance. All the oil and gas pumped from Louisiana could not keep Diogene's Lamp lit long enough to find an honest Louisiana politician.

Just like the extra gas tax for the Highway trust fund was to only goto building the highway system or that the lottery money was to be dedicated to higher education or just about anything else in Louisiana. Or the case I personally know about, is the $165,000 that BFI gave to EWE to get the hazardous waste deep well injection permit for their Willow Spring site. You stand a better chance with falling in love with a New Orleans prostitute and expect her to be faithful, than to expect fidelity from a Louisiana politician. That is just the way that it is.

wganz

Most people who have not lived in Louisiana for some time just don’t have any idea how things work down there. They think they know how corrupt it is but they just don’t grasp the scale of it.

Corruption is not only expected by the public it is considered the normal way political business should be practiced.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top